2016 MB Metris (Vito) coming to USA

Sprinter SS

My new Sprinter is at the dealer for a couple of warranty items and they gave me a new Metris cargo van to drive. Before driving it I was kind of down on the "concept" of what they brought to the USA as far as drivetrain, but after driving it around it is a sweet van. If you were paying close to sticker for one of these I am not sure a low line van would be a good deal but they are discounting these deep making the van a good value I think.. Here are my observations...

Motor is nice, smooth and torque
Mileage way better than expected. Trip computer says 24 on all city.
7 speed is well mated to engine
Build quality is good as a MB car, (remember the finish level is utility). lots of C Class interior parts.
5K towing cap, something like 2500lbs for cargo.

If I was in the market for a Japanese brand minivan I would have to look closely at one of these. The core of the van is way more robust feeling than my wifes Honda Odyssey and for what Honda wants for a van now it would not be hard to come out way cheaper.

ENMeyer

I also had a Metris for a loaner for two days:

7 speed transmission with paddle shifters! Really fun to hustle that van around town in manual mode
Nice amount of power from that turbo engine
One-touch window close feature? I wish our Sprinters had this!
Great steering wheel
Really nice seats - just the right amount of bolstering and comfortable
Same stereo as my sprinter, but much better sound
Way too small side view mirrors - bordering on dangerous. Way too hard to see the blind spot

ChrisP-1

I almost bought one and am glad I did not. My wife's 2002 VW Eurovan just keeps ticking. When it does have issues they are reasonably easy to fix or it's easy to find reasonable rates to fix it. Not so with any newer MB product I have owned.

Top Bottom