Don't Ignore Exhaust Leaks!!

if you notice a bit more exhaust system noise, odd smells, or other changes in the engine noise, don't ignore it. There are a number of exhaust system failures/leaks which can burn wiring harnesses and cause major problems. Any time your Sprinter is in for service request that the exhaust system be carefully inspected for cracks or other failures in the system. Catching a problem early may cost you money now, but save future grief.

Dealer suggests DPF bracket replace as PM
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=473465#post473465

A chain reaction from exhaust to ECM
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81819

Source of exhaust smell in cabin
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72975

Added:

broken exhaust flex pipe.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81837

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I had and recently repaired an exhaust link.

It was the PCV and needed replacement.

The smell made me appreciate 're-circulation', cats, and dpf's. :thumbup:

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Recently had a seal replaced in the turbo system on my 2008 at about 60K miles. It was getting a little noisier, and the mileage was off. Fixed both problems, back up to ~20mpg.
Jef

Some info from 2018. Thanks goes to Scampermobile. :thumbup:

As good of a place as any to leave this knowledge.

2011 2500 Sprinter 135k started having some intermittent LOUD exhaust noise which I began to associate with the regeneration cycle of the DPF. It was sporadic and I couldn't predict when it would happen. crawled all over looking for exhaust leaks during the regen cycle just couldn't find any clues. As it turns out I was right, my bracket was totally cracked and the flex pipe on the front end of the DPF was failing. During regeneration the excessive heat would open the crack and I could hear it. Well I found this out because when the flex pipe failed it was a catastrophic failure. The flex pipe burst melting a BUNCH of wiring under the rig, blowing fuzes, frying starter wiring all sorts of badness. Dead on the side of the road with a 24' car hauler in tow.

Off the top of my head
- NEW DPF
- Add blue lines
- other DEF related BS.
- Add Blue nozzle
- all the o2 sensors
- underbelly wiring harness ($3500)
- plus labor... yea if you do math like me its way to much $$$

What I learned from all of this without going to much into detail. You can drive 1200 miles in limp home mode and not toast a DPF. the DPF regeneration is capable of taking a 300% soot load down to less than 1$. The DPF Filter has a core charge because they can rebuild and reuse them. The tolerances for doing a regeneration are not just soot load but multiple other factors as well. A full regeneration cycle can take upwards of 60 minutes at freeway drive speed.

according to some of the sprinter service techs if you ever have any issues like this make sure to check the milage log on your service ticket with what they said they did. Mercedes recommends a minimum number of driven miles before releasing a van back to a customer after certain types of failures.

Check your brackets. If your **** breaks during regeneration you have 2000 degree temperature exhaust gases getting dumped all over a main section of underbelly wiring. Its not a pretty picture

Trayscott

I can relate. 350 dollar tow out of Hamilton Ontario to Wheatfield NY and to a local shop. 1100 in labor later it was repaired. Fried harness. DOH. Only 341,000 miles on it at that time. 2008

Vicky808

I had this same issue the shop I went to said the turbo was going so with about 220, 000 miles on mine I decided to just replaced it and problem fixed..

Some recent information about leaking exhaust system damage$$. Nothing has changed as to periodic preventive maintenance checking of the exhaust system being worthwhile to identify exhaust leaks in the early stages.

A chain reaction from exhaust to ECM

vic

D

Deleted member 50714

$15.00 of prevention will save thousands in repairs.

This is one possible solution for the flex pipe common to turbo.

I screwed-up positioning wrap. Should have positioned further aft and towards top of powerplant.

To facilitate installation, take vehicle for a 15- minute flog to heat and increase wire loom pliability. I added mil-spec clamps and stainless zip ties. Unfortunately, had only one clamp.
IMG_2002.JPGIMG_2004.JPGIMG_2006.JPG

Rachet Jaws

Yep I do agree, I bought a van with a down pipe leak and on the way home the exhaust melted the top engine harness, swirl valve actuator and the passenger side swirl valve arm!55C31D14-956C-4A77-8804-7A2C839DCDEA.jpeg

Yep I do agree, I bought a van with a down pipe leak and on the way home the exhaust melted the top engine harness, swirl valve actuator and the passenger side swirl valve arm!View attachment 152214
Thanks for the info.

If I owned one of the suspect vehicles I would do what Bobnoxious recommends in Post #8. In my mind that is a true Once of prevention that is worth a pound of cure. :thumbup:

:2cents: vic

Chuck1234

I just found this after i started hearing whistling noise on acceleration. Leaking a bit of oil. Just a new gasket?20200912_143007.jpg

JRoger13

Recently had a seal replaced in the turbo system on my 2008 at about 60K miles. It was getting a little noisier, and the mileage was off. Fixed both problems, back up to ~20mpg.
Jef
Where was seal located? I have same year and similar mileage with limited power on pedal

bazar01

2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 170 extended
Question:
On a 2008 2500, I don't see the same hanger style.
Picture below is what I see.
Is this type hanger also affected by the cracking issue?
Thank you.

FlexPipe.jpg

Question:
On a 2008 2500, I don't see the same hanger style.
Picture below is what I see.
Is this type hanger also affected by the cracking issue?
Thank you.

View attachment 201777
A hanger supported by rubber mounts will generally not be affected with cracking. Eventually the U saddle may rust out at the welds to the pipe.

The support in question is bolted directly to the cast aluminum transmission housing. There is no "give" for the stresses as the rubber supports that you show provide.

vic

bazar01

2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 170 extended
A hanger supported by rubber mounts will not be affected with cracking. Eventually the U saddle may rust out at the welds to the pipe.

vic
Good to hear.
The U saddle will take a while to rust out in Georgia. LOL. I will rust proof it later.

It's still a good idea to heat shield the nearby harnesses with fireproof fiberglass sleeves.
I may do that sometime early next year.

Yep. You should be fine in Georgia.

It's still a good idea to heat shield the nearby harnesses with fireproof fiberglass sleeves.
I may do that sometime early next year.
Not that you asked...

For a quick fix. In Georgia some layers of aluminum foil should work to provide heat protection. That would work in my northeast area for a time, but I'm sure that our road salt winters would eventually do it in.

vic

Some recent discussion related to the exhaust support failures and replacement parts. Thanks goes to all contributors. :thumbup:

Added:

Original design 2.1L bracket
1648054364543.png

Newer design I4 2.1L bracket

I4 2.1L DPF Bracket.jpg

vic

Last edited:

travisap

2008 Dodge Sprinter Campervan
I identified an exhaust leak at the corroded intersection of two pipes (circled in red). Has anyone had a similar exhaust leak here? If so, what was your repair and solution? Approximate cost? Thanks.

2008 Dodge Sprinter, 55,000 miles. Previously a hospital transport fleet vehicle in Minnesota. Now a fully converted campervan.

Attachments

Top Bottom