Beware of negligent (stupid) people!

kmay

2013 Unity MB
I keep a spray bottle with 50/50 bleach/water in the service compartment. I spray all water hose connections (both sides) before I make the connection.
I thought great idea and then thought is there something else? Decades ago, I was over-exposed to chlorine fumes and developed chemical pneumonia that lasted nearly a year. I now dislike bleach, avoid fumes/mists and can taste or smell bleach long after exposure.

I am going to use vinegar. Thanks for the tip!

hoosierrun

Case in point concerning the colors of water hoses and spigots...
Leaving Moose Creek RV Park near Glacier National Park this morning, I stopped to use their Dump Station.

Sign clearly states the water is Non-Drinkable.
Hose is Green.
Handle is Blue.
Green always designated raw sewage in my community. Red was reuse, or raw (untreated) well water, but also fire control water lines. That blue fixture was probably purchased that way from the Farm store or local builders supply. Good thing is the sign is clear enough, so hopefully no one is looking at the colors.

In my area, the County regulators would force them to paint the fixture red or pink. In rural areas... I guess anything flies when no authority is checking. Common sense carries a lot of weight.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
Check here.

I thought great idea and then thought is there something else? Decades ago, I was over-exposed to chlorine fumes and developed chemical pneumonia that lasted nearly a year. I now dislike bleach, avoid fumes/mists and can taste or smell bleach long after exposure.

I worked in a CL2 plant. CL2 fumes are NASTY. If you get a good enough dose of the fumes it can create pneumonia like symptoms. Recently I opened a pail of CL2 pellets for a swimming pool. It was a very still day and I was in a coffin corner. I wasn't thinking about that when I opened the pail and got a really bad dose of CL2 fumes. It was as bad, maybe worse than any exposure I've had at the plant.

I went home and sipped some Peppermint Schnapps. That was the old treatment for CL2 inhalation. It reduces the symptoms, but doesn't heal anything. A couple days later I coughed up a bit of blood. Definitely a result of that stupid inhalation. I had chest congestion for a while.

Fumes can definitely be a problem. Be careful around CL2 products.

The above said, chlorine bleach doesn't fume unless combined with other chemicals.

:2cents: vic

Kosinar

2017 Unity TB Silver
So interesting you say that. When we were kids, dad used to sprinkle chlordane all over the concrete floor in the basement for ants/termites. We would roller skate all over that stuff and watch clouds of dust rise. Then we would smack the asbestos covered steam pipes with a Wiffle ball bat and pretend it was snowing. All the window stills, doors, and walls were painted with lead paint. When I was a kid, my dental fillings contained now banned metals. Yes, back in the 60's we washed auto parts in gasoline with lead additives. Mercury was often a play substance that we would use to coat pennies so we could try and pass them off as dimes. Then there was smoking, started as a teenager (quit later). So much stuff we didn't know.

How the hell we are alive and healthy is beyond me?
Answer is easy. 99% percent of government health warnings or recommendations is BS. Including the ones coming from today’s so-called scientists. According to them everything is causing cancer. Everything enjoyable will kill you. Ignore and enjoy your life while you can.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Answer is easy. 99% percent of government health warnings or recommendations is BS. Including the ones coming from today’s so-called scientists. According to them everything is causing cancer. Everything enjoyable will kill you. Ignore and enjoy your life while you can.
I agree that a large percentage of "health warnings" (government or otherwise) are overwrought or just CYA. However, the idea of ignoring it all kind of throws out the baby with the bathwater. There is signal buried in the noise and there is a lot of stuff that is demonstrably both true and important. We know a lot of stuff that we didn't use to know. This is why we live so much longer than we used to. If you ignore everything, you are giving up many of the advantages of living in the 21st century.

The real answer IMO is to combine a good shot of healthy skepticism with a bit of scientific literacy. People with enough training or experience to permit them to follow a train of evidence back to primary sources are at a huge advantage. Unfortunately, this answer isn't particularly "easy". The next best thing is to join on-line communities such as this one and to learn to recognize the individuals who have these skills and can back up their claims with citations that can be traced to primary sources, and to tune out the many loud and vociferous smoke-blowers. There are folks here whose claims you can take to the bank. It is worthwhile to get to know who they are.

Last edited:

hoosierrun

I agree that a large percentage of "health warnings" (government or otherwise) are overwrought or just CYA. However, the idea of ignoring it all kind of throws out the baby with the bathwater. There is signal buried in the noise and there is a lot of stuff that is demonstrably both true and important. We know a lot of stuff that we didn't use to know. This is why we live so much longer than we used to. If you ignore everything, you are giving up many of the advantages of living in the 21st century.

The real answer IMO is to combine a good shot of healthy skepticism with a bit of scientific literacy. People with enough training or experience to permit them to follow a train of evidence back to primary sources are at a huge advantage. Unfortunately, this answer isn't particularly "easy". The next best thing is to join on-line communities such as this one and to learn to recognize the individuals who have these skills and can back up their claims with citations that can be traced to primary sources, and to tune out the many loud and vociferous smoke-blowers. There are folks here whose claims you can take to the bank. It is worthwhile to get to know who they are.

Good answer.... and we know that everyone is different. What affects one, may not affect another, plus generations of people adapt to the environment they were raised in. It is kind of like the bugs that eat my lawn. The have built up a tolerance to all the permitted poisons on the market LOL.

hoosierrun

I worked in a CL2 plant. CL2 fumes are NASTY. If you get a good enough dose of the fumes it can create pneumonia like symptoms. Recently I opened a pail of CL2 pellets for a swimming pool. It was a very still day and I was in a coffin corner. I wasn't thinking about that when I opened the pail and got a really bad dose of CL2 fumes. It was as bad, maybe worse than any exposure I've had at the plant.

I went home and sipped some Peppermint Schnapps. That was the old treatment for CL2 inhalation. It reduces the symptoms, but doesn't heal anything. A couple days later I coughed up a bit of blood. Definitely a result of that stupid inhalation. I had chest congestion for a while.

The above said, chlorine bleach doesn't fume unless combined with other chemicals.

I found out the hard way, just as you did with those buckets of pool chlorine tablets. I try to turn my head and open those lids at arms length. Nasty stuff, especially in the heat.

Tuktu

2010 Regency GT, Triple E
So interesting you say that. When we were kids, dad used to sprinkle chlordane all over the concrete floor in the basement for ants/termites. We would roller skate all over that stuff and watch clouds of dust rise. Then we would smack the asbestos covered steam pipes with a Wiffle ball bat and pretend it was snowing. All the window stills, doors, and walls were painted with lead paint. When I was a kid, my dental fillings contained now banned metals. Yes, back in the 60's we washed auto parts in gasoline with lead additives. Mercury was often a play substance that we would use to coat pennies so we could try and pass them off as dimes. Then there was smoking, started as a teenager (quit later). So much stuff we didn't know.

How the hell we are alive and healthy is beyond me?
And running behind the bug foggers. I am sure they were using DDT at the time. Crazy and none seemed to worry about it then.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
Even though it may be short.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
One example is bleach plus ammonia which forms ammonium chloride, a very fine, very irritating fume. Never combine these two.

Top Bottom