where did you mount your propane tank?

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Right behind the rear axle of my 158" T1N there is a large space where an 11.2 gallon tank from here would fit quite well, getting it filled would be a bit of a hassle though, I would gladly crawl under there to hook up the hoses, but I don't think thats legal. You can of course get a "remote fill" from bully dog for $350 but that is of course an additional $350 :-/

The tank in the location mentioned above would be totally out of the way, the spare tire would hang down ~2" lower than the tank actually so there would be almost zero chance of damaging the tank there and you wouldn't be reducing ground clearance at all.

I have also been looking at the "westfalia" tanks being sold by busdepot but I don't like the idea of the tank hanging below the rocker panel (reducing ground clearance) so it can be filled, are those typically mounted between the fuel tank and the rocker on the driver's side of the van? It would be a tight fit there for sure, measures right at 8", and the tan is 8" too :-/

How have you guys mounted your tanks?

Zach Woods

I have also been looking at the "westfalia" tanks being sold by busdepot but I don't like the idea of the tank hanging below the rocker panel (reducing ground clearance) so it can be filled, are those typically mounted between the fuel tank and the rocker on the driver's side of the van? It would be a tight fit there for sure, measures right at 8", and the tan is 8" too :-/
Hello JackBombay -

You may be interested in the following thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13609&highlight=propane. Some discussion there of propane tank mounting by Westfalia.

On the VW Vanagon Westfalia's the tank is on the drivers side. On the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia the tank is on the passenger side and under the sliding door.

Zach

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Thanks for the info, it would sure be nice to get a 7" diameter tank so it could fit between the fuel tank and the "drivers side of the van", but then again the drivers side of the van is already going to be the "heavy side" when my conversion is all done so...

marklg

I used a 12 gallon tank, fits nicely between the rear axle and the spare tire.
NFPA 1192 provides some guidelines for mounting tanks under the van. Basically, the axles should be lower than the tank, and don't mount it in front of the front axle:

Propane_Tank_Locations.png

Regards,

Mark

Vanhandler

I installed my 12 gallon tank in the same spot (right behind rear axle) but had to pull the muffler over about an inch using pipe strapping screwed to the side (passenger side). I bought teflon tape to wrap the muffler where it is close to the propane tank and some of that heat sheild aluminum stuff that you can stick on to the propane tank for added protection. I think both of those are overkill but don't want any issues if i try to get it certified. Did you have any issues with your muffler?

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I installed my 12 gallon tank in the same spot (right behind rear axle) but had to pull the muffler over about an inch using pipe strapping screwed to the side (passenger side). I bought teflon tape to wrap the muffler where it is close to the propane tank and some of that heat sheild aluminum stuff that you can stick on to the propane tank for added protection. I think both of those are overkill but don't want any issues if i try to get it certified. Did you have any issues with your muffler?
The original exhaust on my 2003 exited out the side of the van at the sliding door, I have extended the exhaust all the way to the back, but my system is obviously not like anyone else's.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Question interpreting the NFPA 1192.....these tanks appear to be behind the diff in the spare location, but the guideline says they can't be lower than the frame members if in back of the diff.....am I interpreting that incorrectly? Or is that not just the body frame, but the bumper, step, etc.? Thanks!
I didn't know of or followed these guidelines.

Last edited:

marklg

Unless you live in Nebraska, Oregon or Washington State, or pay someone who claims to be an authority to interpret the guidelines, there pretty much is no one in the US to interpret NFPA 1192.. It's up to you. I would not claim my interpretation is any better than any one else's.

For a regular house in most jurisdictions, there is a building inspector that interprets the building codes. For campers, there is not any such person most places. Even if you are in one of those states, I expect they are pretty lax for DIYers, if they care at all.

Regards,

Mark

maint

I signed up to read the guidelines after I had installed my tank between the diff and spare tire and I decided it wouldn't pass an inspection. I was so sure it wouldn't pass after reading them that I was starting to get the parts to make a sealed/vented interior box for a 20lb tank.
Just on a chance I took it to the RV shop that was going to do the inspection / certification and just asked them if it was OK. No sense continuing running the lines if they wouldn't pass the tank. They said it was fine and told me a couple of other quirks of certification to be aware of. Looking under the van they agreed it was pretty well the only place to put it.
My tank sits lower than the 'frame ' members, such as they are in a unibody Sprinter, but above spare tire, bumper and diff. I don't think inspection is mandatory where I am but.....Couple hundred $ for the inspection,certification and sticker helped peace of mind.

I signed up to read the guidelines after I had installed my tank between the diff and spare tire and I decided it wouldn't pass an inspection. I was so sure it wouldn't pass after reading them that I was starting to get the parts to make a sealed/vented interior box for a 20lb tank.
Just on a chance I took it to the RV shop that was going to do the inspection / certification and just asked them if it was OK. No sense continuing running the lines if they wouldn't pass the tank. They said it was fine and told me a couple of other quirks of certification to be aware of. Looking under the van they agreed it was pretty well the only place to put it.
My tank sits lower than the 'frame ' members, such as they are in a unibody Sprinter, but above spare tire, bumper and diff. I don't think inspection is mandatory where I am but.....Couple hundred $ for the inspection,certification and sticker helped peace of mind.
Interesting! Was it an RV place in the US you were getting certification from? Are we supposed to do that? Thanks!

maint

In Canada and I didn't have to do it here. I built a few truck campers over the years and only had the first one inspected at a local RV shop and learned what it took to pass and applied it to the rest of the campers. Same principle here; had never under-mounted a tank or run propane under a vehicle so inspection was good insurance against mistakes. Learning how to do something on the internet is only as good as the person giving the info and I have seen people advocating doing things I wouldn't do on a dare. There were a couple of things I had to do to pass inspection that I would not have thought of or done otherwise. Tech said it was a very well done installation (emphasis his). I have been told that some places (ferries,tunnels etc) require a certification but I have never run into one of them.
I put a Dickinson heater in my van but not until after the inspection. It's certified for boats but not RVs so a hint was dropped to make sure it wasn't in for inspection. There are new campers here that come with them and I asked tech 'how did those make it?' and he answered with a shrug.

Top Bottom