2019 144 Cargo 4x4 van, great build available

VanGoSki

MB of San Jose has a really choice 4x4 Cargo Van up for grabs. Went into produce on third week of June, and from my understanding is in the final stages of QA and shipping. I was originally going to get this but my plans have changed. I'm attaching the build sheet. If interested call the Sprinter manager, Eugene, at 408-239-2329.

Attachments

mofo989

MB of San Jose has a really choice 4x4 Cargo Van up for grabs. Went into produce on third week of June, and from my understanding is in the final stages of QA and shipping. I was originally going to get this but my plans have changed. I'm attaching the build sheet. If interested call the Sprinter manager, Eugene, at 408-239-2329.
Plans changed, meaning AWD Ford Transit by chance?

VanGoSki

Plans changed, meaning AWD Ford Transit by chance?
No, I got a fully customizable build slot. :bounce:

The Transit AWD doesn't work for me, as I'm an off-roader. Yes, I know the Sprinter will never be a rock crawler, but it's still a better rig for off-road than the Transit AWD which is really more for snow than off-road.

mofo989

This will never be the case for anyone. Ever. Unless you actually think a subaru van would be a good thing
I for one think a Subaru van would be great! The Sprinter is not a true 4x4, it's an AWD system you can turn off, and doesn't even have the ability to send 100% power to front or rear. The 4x4 lift doesn't provide additional ground clearance at the axels/pumpkin, just raises your roof height which is a detriment on forest service roads with low branches. The low range might be replicated by a 10 speed transmission 1st gear.

VanGoSki

I for one think a Subaru van would be great! The Sprinter is not a true 4x4, it's an AWD system you can turn off, and doesn't even have the ability to send 100% power to front or rear. The 4x4 lift doesn't provide additional ground clearance at the axels/pumpkin, just raises your roof height which is a detriment on forest service roads with low branches. The low range might be replicated by a 10 speed transmission 1st gear.
The Transit isn't designed for off-road. The 4x4 has no more ride height than the 4x2 version.

Ride height is actually very important for off-road. Approach, departure and breakover angles are all improved by increased right height and are at least as important as axle height. Good wheel placement can make up for axle height, but your angles is what keeps your body off the rocks. In my experience I've been limited by more by angles than by axle height. Plus a lift gives you the ability to mount larger tires which do increase axle height.

As I said before, the Sprinter will never be a rock crawler, but it will always be more capable than a Transit AWD.

I love Suburus too, btw. For skiing, not for off-road.

Last edited:

mofo989

The Transit isn't designed for off-road. The 4x4 has no more ride height than the 4x2 version.

Ride height is actually very important for off-road. Approach, departure and breakover angles are all improved by increased right height and are at least as important as axle height.
I agree with that, Sprinter does have the advantage on approach/departure angles.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
so its a base model jeep wrangler.

got it

mofo989

FWIW, 4x4 Transits aren’t supposed to be delivered until March of 2020.
2020 Transit order guide is out today. No indication of AWD being a delayed feature (and there were a few other features that are delayed). AWD's should be here in October is my understanding.

Onefin

2020 Transit order guide is out today. No indication of AWD being a delayed feature (and there were a few other features that are delayed). AWD's should be here in October is my understanding.
My buddy wants to replace his 2wd transit with the Awd.
Do you have a link to the order guide? I’d like to send it to him.
I googled and couldn’t find it.

mgladden2

With 6.5" clearance at the rear shock mounts. I crawled under a transit and measured myself. AWD version appeared to be the exact same. At 6.5" rocks will routinely hit the shock mounts on many of the roads I drive. Many Transit owners have confirmed on blogs when I asked that clearance was a problem. I get rock hits at 7.1" clearance on my current vehicle. Sprinter is 8.75" factory (measured myself), up to 9.25" with better tires. I seriously considered a Transit, but ground clearance and limited range of gas vs. diesel sold me on Sprinter. But now I get a DPF regen cycle to deal with (no one wins entirely). Good luck!

mofo989

With 6.5" clearance at the rear shock mounts. I crawled under a transit and measured myself. AWD version appeared to be the exact same. At 6.5" rocks will routinely hit the shock mounts on many of the roads I drive. Many Transit owners have confirmed on blogs when I asked that clearance was a problem. I get rock hits at 7.1" clearance on my current vehicle. Sprinter is 8.75" factory (measured myself), up to 9.25" with better tires. I seriously considered a Transit, but ground clearance and limited range of gas vs. diesel sold me on Sprinter. But now I get a DPF regen cycle to deal with (no one wins entirely). Good luck!
Here's an easy solution for 125$. https://vancompass.com/products/van...-rear-high-clearance-shock-extension-brackets

Bolt-on Transit rear lower shock mounts move the shock 2" up from the factory location. The lower portion of the shock mount can be cut off for additional ground clearance.

So, for a $125 you turn 6.5" into 8.5", and you can't pay the dealer to chain your oil in a Sprinter for less than that.

Top Bottom