Refrig / Coolbox Power Source?

mogul2us

Probably a dumb question, and I feel like I should know the answer, but...

What is the power source for the 12V refrigerator when plugged into 120V shore power?

Does the 12V come from the same converter (120->12V) as the A/C?
Or does the 12V come from the coach batteries via the West battery charger system?

Thanks in advance!

mogul2us

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Fridge works off coach batteries only, even when Westfalia is plugged into shorepower.

The converters supply !2v power only to rooftop Kerstner air conditioner.

Interestingly, the fridge's Danfoss compressor also has a different but same size model with both 12v and 120v power inputs but our Westy fridgr Danfoss compressor only has 12v power input.

Note: OneManVan did modify his Westy to allow, at his option, the Meanwell converters to connect to the coach batteries to recharge them faster.

Last edited:

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
The compressor doesn't run on 120V, it's the converter box that can be swapped out. They are actually 4-way: 12, 24, 120, 240 and automatically switch to the highest voltage source connected. I use to sell a lot of Truckfridge and Vitrifrigo models. In my opinion the AC option isn't worth the extra $ ($60-100) when a camper already has an onboard charger. I've never installed anything but the DC fridges in my rigs.

Top Bottom