Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 AM   #11
Geriakt
2017 View 24J

Default Re: Tesla battery powered system conversion completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m10 View Post
Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have have the BP100 in between inverter and battery. Glad you pointed that out before I used shore power to charge. I just saw the discussion on the Victron Support site. I will connect the MultiPlus directly to the battery and rely on the internal MultiPlus low/high voltage cut-offs. I already updated my diagram here: https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Thank you,
Merten
We all made this mistake but now Victron has updated it's TDS to inform us not to do this. There is another manufactures product that can safely be placed between the battery and Multiplus, but it cost over $600. I installed a $40 500amp Kilovac contactor with precharge and $10 under voltage PCB as an emergency shut off off the battery but it really is not necessary with my BMS.
The Electrodacus SBMS0 only cost about $130USD and you will have a complete BMS that can shut down over charging from the MPPT and Multiplus using the temp sense and a assistant on the Multiplus.

Second thing to point out, I see you still have the Tesla BMS PCB installed on your module. This has to be completely unplugged from the balancing leads or it will heat up and drain the Tesla Module. I completely removed mine.

I also see you do not have a way to heat your module during cold weather charging. I assume you do not see any cold weather and use the van heat to keep the battery warm. Do not charge the Tesla below 40 degs F or you will damage it. As you know you should not keep the battery fully charged in storage, so I think you lower the charge from the MPPT when you are not using your van.

I love the centralized power buttons using your Chinese relay PCB.
Tom
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:10 AM   #12
m10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriakt View Post
We all made this mistake but now Victron has updated it's TDS to inform us not to do this. There is another manufactures product that can safely be placed between the battery and Multiplus, but it cost over $600. I installed a $40 500amp Kilovac contactor with precharge and $10 under voltage PCB as an emergency shut off off the battery but it really is not necessary with my BMS.
The Electrodacus SBMS0 only cost about $130USD and you will have a complete BMS that can shut down over charging from the MPPT and Multiplus using the temp sense and a assistant on the Multiplus.

Second thing to point out, I see you still have the Tesla BMS PCB installed on your module. This has to be completely unplugged from the balancing leads or it will heat up and drain the Tesla Module. I completely removed mine.

I also see you do not have a way to heat your module during cold weather charging. I assume you do not see any cold weather and use the van heat to keep the battery warm. Do not charge the Tesla below 40 degs F or you will damage it. As you know you should not keep the battery fully charged in storage, so I think you lower the charge from the MPPT when you are not using your van.

I love the centralized power buttons using your Chinese relay PCB.
Tom
Hi Tom,

The Tesla BMS PCB is still sitting in the module but not connected, the balance wires are directly fed out to my monitor/balancer. I just left the PCB there in case someone comes up with an affordable BMS master that makes use of these slave modules. I saw a project somewhere making use of these modules.

I am careful to not charge below 4C. I am using my BMV712 to cut solar charging if the temp is too low, via the same BP100 that cuts high voltage. Just need to watch out when charging with shore power if I ever start using that.

I have a pretty conservative min/max range during my normal everyday use (21-24V). I am using the van pretty much every day. I adjust as necessary when I need more power.

Thanks,
Merten
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #13
Geriakt
2017 View 24J

I also have seen work complete on writing open source code for the Tesla BMS. These efforts are mainly for the EV world and will still be quite expensive. From all my research there are a few BMS systems that do work with Tesla modules. REC BMS and Electrodacus SBMS0. For a single module RV system the SBMS0 is the cheepest and best system that integrates with Victron equipment and one SBMS0 costs half of what a BVM712 cost and does everything the BVM712 does plus full BMS with auto balancing.
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
asimba2
2016 4cyl High Roof 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by m10 View Post
Hi Ken,

Thanks for all your inspiration with your fantastic YouTube videos. I watched everything, many more than once and I followed your lead on many aspects. It really helped a lot. When you talked about how things with 8020 would just fit and be straight I was sold. I suck with wood :)

Best,
Merten
Thanks, the 80/20 turned me into the craftsman that I am not. ;) Again, nice work.
asimba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
Montucky

Really nice build. Congrats! I also leaned heavily on CAD to noodle around with various options before going into the garage to fab stuff up. This was especially true for the welded cabinet frames - creating the full structure in CAD really helped me with the cutting and mitering of all the joints so that I didn't paint myself into a corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Van 001.jpg (57.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Van 01.jpg (32.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190914_191313.jpg (89.5 KB, 33 views)
Montucky is online now   Reply With Quote