2019 chassis cruise control issue

Coach06

19/19 Unity MB
We picked up our 19/19 U24MB on June 21 in Sacramento. Drove home to the CA Central Coast along high 5 and found the cruise control (Distronic Plus with Steering Assist) did not function consistently... The system would not always 'turn on' and when it did the system would arbitrarily stop functioning with a warning in the center screen stating 'Active Distance Assist Canceled'.
Took the Unity to the local Mercedes shop and they used an afternoon attempting to diagnose the issue with no success. Service manager took me aside and mentioned this was the first 2019 Sprinter chassis they had seen with all the goodies-- their typical Sprinter is a 2500 bare bones work horse.
Anyone else had cruise control issues on the 2019 Sprinter chassis and if yes, what was the remedy? Local Mercedes shop is sending the information collected to MB for assistance. BTW - there were no codes present.
thanks - BruceC :thinking:

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
Sorry for your troubles.
We picked our '19M-B/'19U-TB also on 6/21 (Colo Spgs) and the
adaptive c.c. seems to work as well as in our vehicles.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
This is why some of us would never be one of the first to buy something that complex. Unfortunately new technology and design is released before techs get information, training, and experience on the new model you just bought. R & D uses you, as it's first "real world" customers to test the vehicle and then you discover your stranded miles from the nearest service center that doesn't have the parts available anyway. But somebody has to be the guinea pig. "What doesn't kill you will make you wiser but flat broke". Keep us posted.

MorrieC

We picked up our Unity with the new chassis on June 26th and have driven it about 500 + miles. The adaptive cruise / Distronic Plus works great on our rig. This is the 3rd vehicle that we have owned with adaptive cruise and this one is as good if not better the others that we have used.

Coach06

19/19 Unity MB
This is why some of us would never be one of the first to buy something that complex. Unfortunately new technology and design is released before techs get information, training, and experience on the new model you just bought. R & D uses you, as it's first "real world" customers to test the vehicle and then you discover your stranded miles from the nearest service center that doesn't have the parts available anyway. But somebody has to be the guinea pig. "What doesn't kill you will make you wiser but flat broke". Keep us posted.
Yup..

sksg1963

2020 LTV Unity CB
I had a similar experience with a Damiler Chrysler Jeep Grand Cherokee years ago. A software update corrected the problem.

I picked mine up June 24 in Holland and now have 2,500 miles on it. We have seen the adaptive cruise cancelled message a few times. In our case it is triggered by raising off the drivers seat to shift or stretch. When the car senses too little pressure in the seat, it cancels the cruise. Like any newer airbag equipped vehicle it has weight sensors in the seat used to deploy airbags with the optimal force to protect the occupant. Apparently Benz feels the need to monitor this so that folks don’t try to change drivers or make a cup of coffee while using the adaptive cruise and lane tracking to drive the rig - just my guess. After we figured out what was triggering the cancellation, it never happened again.

We picked up our 19/19 U24MB on June 21 in Sacramento. Drove home to the CA Central Coast along high 5 and found the cruise control (Distronic Plus with Steering Assist) did not function consistently... The system would not always 'turn on' and when it did the system would arbitrarily stop functioning with a warning in the center screen stating 'Active Distance Assist Canceled'.
Took the Unity to the local Mercedes shop and they used an afternoon attempting to diagnose the issue with no success. Service manager took me aside and mentioned this was the first 2019 Sprinter chassis they had seen with all the goodies-- their typical Sprinter is a 2500 bare bones work horse.
Anyone else had cruise control issues on the 2019 Sprinter chassis and if yes, what was the remedy? Local Mercedes shop is sending the information collected to MB for assistance. BTW - there were no codes present.
This sounds similar to an issue I had when I picked up my 2019/2019 CB from Sacramento the other month, almost certainly before you. I had a message saying "Active Brake Assist disabled" or something like that.

I took it to MB of Fairfield and they updated the software. All fine now and 2,500 miles in.

Chris

Coach06

19/19 Unity MB
This sounds similar to an issue I had when I picked up my 2019/2019 CB from Sacramento the other month, almost certainly before you. I had a message saying "Active Brake Assist disabled" or something like that.

I took it to MB of Fairfield and they updated the software. All fine now and 2,500 miles in.

Chris
Thanks Chris... I may end up going to Fairfield as the local Mercedes shop is clueless.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
So does this mean the MB mechnics are not smart enough to to diagnose and fix it? These are the same mechnics that work on $120,000 AMG sedans that do have all the bells and whistles? What a poor excuse.
If I were you I would camp out at MB until fixed and get your fill of coffee, candy bars and free lunch you can to offset the BS.

Coach06

19/19 Unity MB
So does this mean the MB mechnics are not smart enough to to diagnose and fix it? These are the same mechnics that work on $120,000 AMG sedans that do have all the bells and whistles? What a poor excuse.
If I were you I would camp out at MB until fixed and get your fill of coffee, candy bars and free lunch you can to offset the BS.
Actually they have ONE Sprinter tech and it sounds like he is part time (whatever that means). Looks like I will be going elsewhere for a correction and hopefully only need a software update.

BC

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
That's exactly what it means. He's action to move on is a smart one while it can still be driven. Welcome to the 2019 Sprinter "blackhole". It should get better in the next year or before the next generation Sprinters roll out of R&D. :popcorn:

Coach06

19/19 Unity MB
While driving through Las Vegas... we decided to take our Unity to Henderson Mercedes. Henderson was recommended by Nancy at Van City and hopefully they have more experience with this new chassis than our hometown Mercedes dealer. Delivered to Henderson Mercedes late yesterday afternoon, now waiting at a comfortable, cool, hotel. Temps were in the 112 range yesterday... will spend another night here if they make any progress.

contex

Just curious. Has anyone any experience with solving Sprinter issues at Bay Area Mercedes dealers such as the one in San Jose or Belmont please?

Coach06

19/19 Unity MB
While driving through Las Vegas... we decided to take our Unity to Henderson Mercedes. Henderson was recommended by Nancy at Van City and hopefully they have more experience with this new chassis than our hometown Mercedes dealer. Delivered to Henderson Mercedes late yesterday afternoon, now waiting at a comfortable, cool, hotel. Temps were in the 112 range yesterday... will spend another night here if they make any progress.
SUCCESS !!!
Henderson Mercedes service was capable of tracking down the problem after 8 hours of diagnostics. The Distronics sensor(s) were completely out of adjustment. Recalibrated the sensors and we picked the UMB up Saturday morning. Now in Green River and after two days of driving systems worked perfect.

Widman

Chris
Did you have an issue with the cruise control canceling? I am with mine and have set up an appt.
at Fairfield MB, hopefully they are aware of the issue.

Coach06

19/19 Unity MB
[/SIZE]
Did you have an issue with the cruise control canceling? I am with mine and have set up an appt.
at Fairfield MB, hopefully they are aware of the issue.

Did Fairfield Mercedes solve the problem? Do you know what/how they solved the cruise canceling issue? Ours was 'fixed' at the Mercedes dealer in Henderson but now it is 'broken' again. Currently sitting at the Mercedes dealer in Fresno.. they spent four days attempting to figure it out and finally said they were stumped. Offered me a loaner and asked to keep the Unity at least a week while they wait for an answer from the Mother Ship in Germany.

Widman

Fairfield did not fix the cruise or could they fix the seat adjust. They did not have a clue, then called me 3 days later to say they could fix the seat adjust for $85! I have an appt at Santa Rosa MB, who are aware of both issues and could adjust.

Top Bottom