Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, & Problems with the Forum

Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 AM   #11
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,820 Times in 836 Posts
Default Re: General Intro Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Woods View Post

Attachment 70

I agree that this increases the chance that folks won't find the Class C Subforum (although when they click on Sportsmobile from the top level/ home page they will see it and EB / RB listed clearly) but I am assuming that people interested in their Sportsmobile Class C will have enough interest to take the time to figure where they will find info about it.
The current setup for the subforums will change at the top level. Right now I just have what it looks like in the above attachment; single line links. I'd like to expand on this so that the links are in a couple columns and the subgroups, ie. EB/RB, will show up on the list and is clickable. This way it will save people from clicking twice to get to a sub/sub group.

I can go either way. I suggest that we keep the main/sub/sub or as it is now. If we decide to move from main/sub/sub to main/sub, we can do that easily.

Going from a main/sub to a main/sub/sub is a nightmare. I have to go through one thread at a time and decide where to move them to their specific subs.

Seek

EDIT: Weird, the attachment doesn't show up when quoted. Another thing to fix.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
sikwan
06 T1N Can

HK and All:

Please read below the quotes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post

General
Talk
Pictures
Videos
Diesel Fuel
BioDiesel Fuel
Dealer Experiences
Government and Sprinters
History and Other Big Vans
Can the Diesel and Biodiesel be combined rather than in their separate categories?

Can the Goverment and History be included within Talk or Sprinter Talk and we have a separate section called Off Topic where you can talk about Other Big Vans?

Quote:
Parts
New replacement
Accessories
Cargo Van Equip't
Motor Oil
Classifieds
I'd like to change this, but I don't know what to now. My brain is fried now.

Quote:
2001-2006 Sprinters' Technical Issues[following the outline of the Service Manuals]
Powertrain
Transmission
Chassis
Body
Hitches and Trailers
2007> Sprinters' Technical Issues
Powertrain
Transmission
Chassis
Body
Hitches and Trailers
Agree with this.

Quote:
Sprinter RVs
North American Brands
DIY Conversions
RV and Conversion parts
Adventures
European/Aussie RVS
I'd like to get some input on the title "Adventures." Some of us, like myself, use the van for more than one purpose and one of them is for our road trips. I was thinking about leaving the title Adventures out and just include them in the Picture section or Video section. If it doesn't include any pictures or videos, maybe it should go into the Sprinter Talk section?

Quote:
Regional
- list of regions similar to the BMW site
Agree with this.

Comments?

Thanks,
Seek

ps. I'm holding off on the changes until we can get to a common ground. As always, I'm open to all suggestions. The forum will continue to change as we find out what works and what doesn't. I'm sure there will be more suggestions when the membership reaches 1000. Plus, I'm going to sleep. :D
Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Howdy Seek, hk, others -

My quick take on Seek's questions:

1. Diesel and Biodiesel should be separate - there will be overlap and curiosity but mostly two different groups of people will be frequenting these two different forums. You could have a Fuel forum which would include both a Diesel and a Biodiesel subforum but this would take up more screen/ window real estate than hk's suggested breakdown.

2. Government, History and Other Big Vans - either Seek's or hk's breakdown work in my mind. As may be clear by now I think subforums are a good thing so I may lean towards Government and History as separate subforums under Sprinter Talk and Other Big Vans as a subforum under Off Topic.

3. I think it would be fine to move Adventures out of RV's. It would make that section more accessible / top of mind for all. And I think that even with Adventures under RV's we are still going to have adventure posts turning up down under specific brands or models of RV/Conversions - either way a moderator could always move these mis-placed posts to the right location if they have the time/ desire to.

Comments welcome from all,

Zach
Zach Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,512 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:

1. Diesel and Biodiesel should be separate - there will be overlap and curiosity but mostly two different groups of people will be frequenting these two different forums. You could have a Fuel forum which would include both a Diesel and a Biodiesel subforum but this would take up more screen/ window real estate than hk's suggested breakdown.

Zach
I agree with Zach

Quote:

2. Government, History and Other Big Vans - either Seek's or hk's breakdown work in my mind. As may be clear by now I think subforums are a good thing so I may lean towards Government and History as separate subforums under Sprinter Talk and Other Big Vans as a subforum under Off Topic.

Zach
I had wondered about Off Topic, but now this gives purpose to the forum.

Quote:

3. I think it would be fine to move Adventures out of RV's. It would make that section more accessible / top of mind for all. And I think that even with Adventures under RV's we are still going to have adventure posts turning up down under specific brands or models of RV/Conversions - either way a moderator could always move these mis-placed posts to the right location if they have the time/ desire to.

Zach
I understand whence Seek is coming. I had thought about it, and among my rationale was a space issue under General - it was filling fast with subforums, whereas RV had space, and readers of the main forum would be the combination of RV'ers and DIY dreamers.

If the name is to be changed, don't forget the marketing aspect. You are looking to attract appropriate attention through a hook/curiousity. A title of "Trips" or "Real Life Application of Sprinters" may not be as effective.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #15
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Quote:
Parts
New replacement
Accessories
Cargo Van Equip't
Motor Oil
Classifieds
I got most of the categories done and I had a few thoughts on the Parts section.

1. Should the "Motor Oil" section be in the Powertrain section of the Sprinters' Technical Issues category rather than in a separate category?

There's no tire/wheel category and I'm guessing that it will go into the New replacement category? Motor Oils can also go into the New replacement section too.

2. What will the "New replacement" category cover? There are a lot of items that can go into the Sprinter's Technical Section and vice-versa. Since we're not using an interior/exterior category, a lot of the modifications will now go into the Body category or will they go into New replacement?

Comments welcome. To me, there might be some overlap between the categories "Parts" and "Technical Issues" section. Ie., hitches & trailers, tires & wheels, new replacement parts, etc.

At least to me, I might be confused as to where I should put a thread like, "Fender trim needed to clear new tires/wheels."

Thanks,
Seek
Old 09-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #16
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,512 Times in 692 Posts

Motor Oil - I put it under Parts as it is like filters, brake pads, etc, but draws more attention than any other maintenance item combined. Yes, it could be discussed under Powertrain, but I was trying to create a magnet for the volume of posts on that topic.

Tire/Wheel - good question. Some models of the 2007 will have a different tire rating requirement than the 2001-2006. Notwithstanding, I would still leave it under Parts. Most discussion items will likely be as an Accessory, but the discussion on the rare 15" high rated and the brand new even higher rated 16" for the 2007+ will also draw stuff. A subforum under Parts?

New/Replacement will cover sources like Berry's and other 3rd party suppliers of OEM parts. I view it not so much as a forum, but as a location for links to sources similar to that provided in YahooSprinter (see also that forum's Accessories - I think someone named it "Customizers").

I agree with the overlap issue. Hitches are definiately an Accessory. Notwithstanding, I suggested putting it in the Tech sections, as I believe both the hitches and the problems are going to be model specific. I don't think that can be helped, as everyone thinks differently. For example, I noticed one of your posts in the tech section that I thought didn't fit. That is what Search is for. Though I tested that feature using "engine" and was not happy with the results [default of case specific search].

In preparing this post, I ran into another problem with the "Preview Post." It sent me to a screen saying I was not logged in. [2nd edit] Then I backed out, posted, relogged in, and then it said I couldn't post as I had posted in the last 30 seconds. Indeed, I saw my post above, plus in the Edit Post box all my text above was there ready to go. I backed out again, and it generated an error code saying that I had attempted to post an identical message (neat catch, even though I hadn't realized I had tried to post the "second" message).

Last edited by hkpierce; 09-28-2006 at 03:36 PM.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #17
sikwan
06 T1N Can

---Motor Oil---

I'm going to put this under powertrain since it's a very specific issue and imo should be found in the technical section.

---Tire/Wheel---

I'm putting in the parts section. While the tires can be very specific, many people are modifying or putting aftermarket underspec tires/wheels

---New/Replacement---

Placing this in its own forum "dealers & suppliers" as the supplier section and moving dealer experiences from th general section.

---Hitches---

I'm moving this into parts since it's more of an accessory than a technical issue with the Sprinter.

---In preparing this post, I ran into another problem with the "Preview Post." It sent me to a screen saying I was not logged in. [2nd edit] Then I backed out, posted, relogged in, and then it said I couldn't post as I had posted in the last 30 seconds. Indeed, I saw my post above, plus in the Edit Post box all my text above was there ready to go. I backed out again, and it generated an error code saying that I had attempted to post an identical message (neat catch, even though I hadn't realized I had tried to post the "second" message).----

This is a feature/problem with the forum software. I've seen it before on other forums using vBulletin. I can only recommend that you either click on the "remember me" box, or you do a ever so often preview of the message you're typing.

Lastly, I want to point out that as much as I liked the Yahoo SprinterVan as an informative resource, we can't implement its entirety. I think once users get used to the layout/format of this new forum, they will know where to post threads. Right now, I can see where the confusion might be and that's in the technical and parts section. Imho, I'd like to keep oem related issues in the technical section and the aftermarket stuff in parts, even when in most cases the aftermarket is the oem.

This forum is far from perfect, and probably will never be for everyone. Let's keep the changes minimal from what we have now. I'd like to make some changes to the dealer/supplier section and start adding content to the site.

Thanks,
Seek