Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
shael

Default Please help - Having in 2nd kid - need seat ideas !

We have the most loved 2012 2500 170WB camper (self converted) that we tour all over vancouver island in with our 2 year old daughter almost every weekend..

We had a non factory 3rd seat installed between the two stock seats for the car seat a while back which works well..

BUT we have another kid coming now ! The back is separated from the front with our design. Does anyone know of any 4 seat options or ideas or know of any after market parts for the front ? We're both small people so could make it work but legally need a 4th seatbelt. Our only other option is selling the van which would make us super sad. Yes - before people ask we did already disable the SRS system to be safe with the carseat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks !

shael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Kevsuda

Default Re: Please help - Having in 2nd kid - need seat ideas !

Sounds like it's time to get the drawing board back out and plan a reconfigure for a second row. I have a 170 of the same era with a second row and it would be great for a family of 4 including two little ones. One can sleep on the second row bench. Selling and purchasing new would be the most fun option, but is it really the only other option?
Kevsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
BrennWagon
Pete

I agree that it’s time to redesign your build and add a second row. There are some great convertible benches and captains chairs available aftermarket or a stock bench seat could be added fairly easily.
BrennWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
shael

Thanks for the reply ! Any link to these benches ? I guess for me it means re-doing or relocating the whole kitchen is the ****ty part, the bench under the window currently has a slide out fridge below it.. I was hoping there was some crazy way to add an extra seatbelt to the front and all cram together - but you don't sound confident this would workout ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennWagon View Post
I agree that itís time to redesign your build and add a second row. There are some great convertible benches and captains chairs available aftermarket or a stock bench seat could be added fairly easily.
shael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:22 AM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,949 Times in 8,866 Posts

I have no idea how your truck is set up.

A premise.
The child safety seat is of itself safe assuming that it is properly secured into a seating position.

A possibility.
There are jump seats which are often found in some fleet vehicles. They are common in walk in delivery vans. It is a simple fold down design. They come in a basic floor or a bulkhead type mount. The seats have safety belts.

Question.
Could a jump seat be installed so that it will safely accommodate a small child rear facing safety seat? If yes, that may provide a safety seat for the child's early years. Be certain the seat orientation is correct. Check any applicable regulations.

After the child is older your conversion may no longer work for a growing family of four. At that point vehicle modification or replacement may be necessary anyway.

An example of some jump seat styles is here.

https://www.suburbanseats.com/c/step-vans?page=1

https://www.millsupply.com/stepvan-p...er-jump-seats/

A Google search should get more results.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 09-17-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote