Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
dynaco1

Default Are two Maxxfans better than a single in a 170? Do they fit with an OEM Headliner?

Are two fans much better than one in a 170?

Has anyone documented the process of installing a Maxxfan deluxe with an OEM ceiling/headliner to fit flush? If so, could you share the process of locating and cutting the 14"x 14" opening in the headline

Last edited by dynaco1; 09-14-2019 at 11:04 PM.
dynaco1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #2
elemental

Default Re: Are two Maxxfans better than a single in a 170? Do they fit with an OEM Headliner

Since I don't have any other air ingress point, I put a second fan in my 170" van. Based on my experience with a single fan, I think it is worthwhile to have a second, especially if they are as far apart as possible to promote air circulation through the van. My fans are the Maxxfan Deluxe models; on my rear fan I used an external fan ring adapter from Hein (Impact 3D) to accommodate the roof corrugations; I did not use an adapter on the front fan which was mounted in a spot where the fan ring did not have to ride over any corrugations.

Although I no longer have the factory headliner, I have a blank ceiling panel that I need to cut the a hole in for the fan. I plan on removing the fan from the frame (once it stops raining...), installing the ceiling panel, then marking the ceiling panel from above through the opening, removing the ceiling panel, cutting the ceiling panel, then reinstalling the ceiling panel. I plan on adding a small margin to the marked out hole that will be covered by the inside fan frame. Marking the hole might be easier for me than it would be for you because I have an internal plywood fan ring that I can press the ceiling panel against to minimize the error in marking out the hole from the opening.
The Following User Says Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post:
dynaco1 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Bikes!

Default Re: Are two Maxxfans better than a single in a 170? Do they fit with an OEM Headliner

In regards to the factory headliner- after I cut the hole through the roof I measured the hole in the ceiling from where the rivets are in the ceiling that the factory headliner uses to attach. I took those measurements and purposely cut the hole through the headliner with a utility knife a little small so once I lifted the headliner back up in place I could easily trim where I needed just in case my measurements were slightly off. The fan plate had enough width to easily cover any small gaps around the edges of the hole. Looks great with the factory headliner!
Bikes! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikes! For This Useful Post:
dynaco1 (09-15-2019), elemental (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
elemental

It now occurs to me that since the material in the center of the hole will be removed and discarded, it would certainly be possible to approximately locate the center of the hole from the inside using measurement points visible with and without the headliner present, then enlarge the hole from that point towards the perimeter. I could probably even do that through the marine plywood ceiling panel that I'm using, and skip the waiting for the rain to stop delay. Or I can keep being lazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post:
dynaco1 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but why all the hassle with locating the headliner cut via measurements when you can just scribe the location on the roof where the fan will go, and pop an 1/8" pilot bit down at the 4 corners through roof AND headliner to get an exact location, then connect the dots on the inside.

Am I missing something?

https://nicktavasieff.smugmug.com
Zundfolge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but why all the hassle with locating the headliner cut via measurements when you can just scribe the location on the roof where the fan will go, and pop an 1/8" pilot bit down at the 4 corners through roof AND headliner to get an exact location, then connect the dots on the inside.

Am I missing something?
Are you advocating drilling through the headliner? If yes, then this is a no-no, as the spinning bit can or will create runs in the material. Just use an awl and punch through.....
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
dynaco1 (09-24-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
GSWatson
2013 144

Or, put the bit in reverse and it will burn/melt/friction its way through safely. I used that with a hole saw to cut mounting holes for the overhead cabinet blocks.

Cheers,
Greg
GSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
dynaco1

Watched forum member, "Ourkaravan" Maxxfan instructional YouTube video the night before cutting two 14" x 14" holes in roof of a perfectly new 2019 170 two days ago. Started work at 8 am and finished installation of two Maxxfan fans roughly eleven hours later. The optional aluminum strips took extra time to fabricate.

I used Hein's plastic templates and fastened the fan bases with 2" long stainless bolts and nuts rather than using the screws provided with the Maxxfan kit. Sourced the 3M Window Weld locally, per Hein's instructions in box. Sourced a small can of white FlexSeal at Walmart rather than using Dicor Lap Sealant (I bought both)

Connected electrical yesterday. all is good.

Last edited by dynaco1; 09-26-2019 at 12:37 PM.
dynaco1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dynaco1 For This Useful Post:
asimba2 (Yesterday)