Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
stirlings

Default Considering building out a 118 T1N for part time stealth camping

here is one I have been looking at.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto...965269673.html
Any more experienced Sprinter enthusiasts want to put their 2 cents in?
I'm considering for the evening and I'll be making a decision by tomorrow.
stirlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
hepcat
Just an old guy...

Default Re: Considering building out a 118 T1N for part time stealth camping

Looks like a well-maintained van. It wouldn't work for me; I can't even stand up in a full-height conversion like mine; that said, it ought to work fine for your use depending on how you decide to build it out.

I've got an '04 Airstream Interstate with the high-top.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxJXdNY

Last edited by hepcat; 09-13-2019 at 11:50 PM.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,922 Times in 5,778 Posts

Manual windows? How quaint.

His photos don't show a face-on of the center console switch panel, so it's hard to guess which options he may have.
(with manual windows? Probably very few). Ah... the CraigsList has the VIN: WD0PD144055817041

Here's the MB datacard of what options they built into it: WD0PD144055817041.pdf

It DOES have cruise control
So: no Auxiliary heater ... hmmm .. i'm not seeing a Booster heater, either?
(i thought those were "standard" on US Sprinters)
No remote key entry
Has rear sway bar, rear door inner grab handles, cargo springs (i.e. stiff).
Rear step bumper (nice, i have one).
You might verify that the jack is in the compartment that's under the front passenger's feet.

2005 Owner's Manual: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/referen...ers_Manual.pdf
(so you can study-up)

--dick
p.s. quick how-to-tell-if-there's-a-booster heater:
Look into the driver's side front wheel well for the wallet-sized "muffler" (and pipe leading to it)
If it ain't there, it doesn't have one:

((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 09-14-2019 at 12:01 AM.
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Garandman (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
ions82

I'm curious if any insulation (for sound and/or temperature) was added before the panels were installed. That's a pretty small vehicle. It would be tight for more than one person. I'm glad to have my gigantic 158" high roof. I don't mind taking up two parking spaces
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,920 Times in 8,848 Posts

Some info is here if you missed it.

Inspection tips for buying a used Sprinter T1N
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (09-16-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

FWIW that's a nice van that looks well taken care of for a fair price. Those shortys tend to fetch a premium to those who want them.

I personally could never own the short (height-wise) van being 6'4". I can't even stand in mine, but if I take a wide stance or put one foot in the step well I can stand up straight-ish. It would be a different matter if tall ones weren't an option (think all of the previous generation f*rd/Chevy/dodge vans, only one height option unless you had a custom top) but they are quite available in sprinter land, so if you're going for camper I'd get a tall one. You'll want it.

One more FWIW, it's my opinion that you're just as "stealth" in a tall one as you are in a short one. No matter what you're a van parked overnight somewhere. As long as you don't have awnings out, a/c blasting with satellite dishes and a sound system with a generator roaring it's pretty much all the same. Similarly, "stealth" is easier to accomplish with a cargo version, otherwise you'll likely have window coverings on all the rear windows trying to keep heat in/out, and light contained. The 140" wb tall cargo is what I have, and in terms of all the happy mediums I feel it checks most of the boxes. To each their own, of course! Suerte.

https://nicktavasieff.smugmug.com
Zundfolge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,920 Times in 8,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post

One more FWIW, it's my opinion that you're just as "stealth" in a tall one as you are in a short one. No matter what you're a van parked overnight somewhere. ...
I agree FWIW. Euro style vans are more and more common in N. America. They don't stick out as they once did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
... Similarly, "stealth" is easier to accomplish with a cargo version, otherwise you'll likely have window coverings on all the rear windows trying to keep heat in/out, and light contained. ...

Maybe. I feel that a passenger model with windows blends better in some areas like hotel parking lots. If 5% limo tint is applied to the windows any interior insulation or blocking treatments won't show on the outside. It will still have a passenger van appearance. Even 5% tint won't keep interior lights from showing at night.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Zundfolge (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
hepcat
Just an old guy...

A couple of thoughts on "stealth camping."

Who are you being "stealthy" from, exactly? Why do you need "stealth" and what, exactly, does "stealth camping" mean to you? I've found that it can mean very different things.

Fried eggs on a plate are beautiful and fit perfectly in their environment. Those same eggs on the front your $1,000 custom Italian tailored suit stand out dramatically and obviously don't belong.

My point is that even the most unassuming van isn't "stealthy" unless it's in an environment one would expect to find it. AND, cops will ALWAYS know that there's someone occupying a vehicle, just driving by... don't think you'll be un-noticed by folks who are trained to notice, or who just make it their business to notice, like crooks.

I travel in my Class-B motorhomes (an Airstream B-190 on a Ford e350, a Coachmen on a Ford e250, and my Airstream Interstate on the Sprinter T1N) and have, for the past five years and 45,000 miles regularly overnight in commercial parking lots and I've never been approached once about it. On the other hand, parking in front of someone's home, or in a parking lot in a deserted business park overnight may get you more attention than you thought possible, REGARDLESS of what your van looks like.

"Stealth" has more to do with blending in than it does with what your van looks like.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hepcat For This Useful Post:
Aggie (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
glasseye

Thanked 1,702 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
A couple of thoughts on "stealth camping."
"Stealth" has more to do with blending in than it does with what your van looks like.
Absolutely. Except for that one night in small town Utah.

I parked in a row of similar white vans at a loading dock, snickering to myself at my cleverness.

Except at 04:00AM, when the place became noisily alive with workers, loading up for the day's work.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glasseye For This Useful Post:
hepcat (09-16-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,922 Times in 5,778 Posts

... and a Piemont RED van ain't stealth.

--dick
(whose Freightliner-badged Sprinter gets friendly comments in Farm Country like:"You got a Cummings (diesel) in that?")
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 09-14-2019 at 05:11 PM.
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
hepcat (09-16-2019)