Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 05-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
JPB Irish

Question New Unity 2019-Soundproofing doors

Just did our first trip in our Unity CB and love it! However, my wife states that the passenger side is so noisy when driving. Have seen posts from earlier years on using material to deaden the noise. Questions:
1. Any one else have that problem?
2. If so any suggestions?
3. Who in the Atlanta market would you use to fix it?
Thanks
Jim
JPB Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
aarpskier
2017 LTV Unity FX

Default Re: New Unity 2019-Soundproofing doors

For how to, go here https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ght=insulation As to who, any decent aftermarket audio shop should be able to do this. And, you can upgrade factory speakers at the same time.
aarpskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #3
geeque

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB Irish View Post
Just did our first trip in our Unity CB and love it! However, my wife states that the passenger side is so noisy when driving. Have seen posts from earlier years on using material to deaden the noise. Questions:
1. Any one else have that problem?
2. If so any suggestions?
3. Who in the Atlanta market would you use to fix it?
Thanks
Jim
1. I didnít think it was a problem until I insulated the front doors, then I understood how bad it was and how much better it could be. That was 35K miles/2.5 years ago.

2. I used 3M Thinsulate SM600L on both front inside door panels attached with 3M spray adhesive at the same time I upgraded speakers with Heinís adapters. http://www.impact3d.com/3M_Thinsulate_SM600L_specs.jpg (Available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Thinsula...r=431129497605)

3. No suggestions for installers, did it myself. Simple job that I suspect many local stereo installers or vehicle upholstery shops could readily do.
2yrs2go (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,077 Times in 579 Posts

Yet ANOTHER project for me to pursue in August! Yummy!!
Old 05-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #5
JPB Irish

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:32 AM   #6
RV2019
2017 Wonder MB

Well, I have the Wonder which is built on the Ford Transit and I used the following in the doors. Made a big difference.

Noico 80 mil 36 sq ft car Sound deadening mat - this is the metallic backed material that gets rolled to ensure it is sealed/adhered correctly to prevent air gaps that can form condensation and perhaps rust later.
Noico Green 170 mil 36 sq ft Сar Waterproof Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner - this is an approx 3/8 inch rubberized sort of material that insulates and is applied over the Noico 80.
and
3M Thinsulate (TM) AU4002-5 which I applied to the back of the plastic door panel. I did not glue it because there were areas around the door where it could be tucked in for support.

Here is a video from "HEIN" showing installation of the thinsulate on the transit door. You can find the thinsulate on eBay and the Noico from Amazon.

Thinsulate Install
RV2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RV2019 For This Useful Post:
2yrs2go (05-26-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
kmay
2013 Unity MB

My stereo shop did the floor and firewall in addition to the doors. We are now able to converse in normal speaking voice while underway at freeway speeds.

The cab install revealed other sources of noise throughout the coach. Of all the sources, the slide is the most problematic. Facing the vehicle on driver/slide side, one notices a gap in the lower front corner. This gap, in the leading edge of the air flow, can create a loud air leak similar to opening a car door window a wee bit. We manage by careful slide maintenance and following operation guidelines - keep switch depressed a full 2 - 3 seconds after slide stops. One can fine tune the system by running the slide in and out 3 times which improves the motor synchronization and cut-off points. When the slide is fully closed, no air leak.

While there is a manual adjustment, the manual suggests this is a last resort. Further, I am reluctant to increase the shut-off tension. Despite precautions, on some occasions, the slide does not properly close. I go to a flat spot and run the slide reset procedure, works so far.

I am solidly in the anti-slide camp but the spouse won't go without a slide. Decisions, decisions,
kmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #8
JPB Irish

Ok- I found a stereo shop that will do that for us.
Going to order the material and get it done.
Thank you