Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
mvwmvw

Default New England to Yellowstone in a 2004 with 220000 miles

Hi Everyone, Long time lurker and searcher but seldom a poster...

The family and I are going on a big road trip this summer from Easton, CT to Yellowstone/Tetons and back. We are leaving the last weekend in June and I'm trying to make sure I have everything buttoned up before we embark on such a long trip with four kids in some relatively desolate areas for the open parts of the drive.

So, some vehicle history: the van is a 2004 144" high roof that I bought used at 171K from Pennsylvania in Jan of 2017, and it has been a regular driver since then. It had been serviced from 98k to 168k at Sun Motors, and I have all those records. Lots of brake work, a serpentine belt and pulleys at 151k, all the usual stuff; it was well maintained.

Since owning it I have converted it with bunks in the back while maintaining two of the passenger benches up front. I have a two battery bank and will be installing solar in the coming weeks. Original Electrical and the bunk build out was all done by Superior Coach in Nashville (my father in law) and secondary electrical by Intrepid Marine Electronics in Norwalk, CT. I wired in lights, did a new tongue in groove ceiling, storage cubbies in passenger area and overhead storage above cab, etc.

I continued the routine maintenance and fluids:
-oil changes at around 10k
-one transmission fluid/filter change (at 180k)
-tires (245 Coopers), brakes F&R
-intercooler hose (x2)
-cabin and engine air filters

Major work since I've owned it:
-Injector replacement /valve cover replacement black death, with one stuck injector (from the person who resold it who JB gasket-ed the injectors into it) (2400$ eek $)
-New Exhaust Cats-Back (800)

In prepping for the trip planned work:
-Lube drivetrain ujoints/diff fluid
-Serpentine belt & pully kit (Q: Europarts 1 or 2? Was thinking 1...)
-Dorco Resonator (I think I have small cracks in the one I have now due to intermittent loss of boost when cold)
-Fluid/Filter Transmission
-RSN mod (I have always had RSN, especially in stop and go traffic)
EDIT TO ADD:
-Coolant flush and change

Concerns:
1. When trying to hard accelerate after a quick stop (as in stop and go traffic) I am sometimes forced into LHM (limp home mode). I then have to pull over, wait, cycle the ingition, and then I am able to start and shift everything fine again. This has always been the case; it has happened since I've owned the vehicle.
I have a decent mechanic, but he is not a Sprinter-specific tech, so he is at a loss, so any suggestions would be helpful (even suggestions for a decent mechanic/Sprinter shop close-ish to Southwestern Connecticut.
2. What spares should I carry?
3. ANYTHING I'M MISSING!!!

THANKS A TON!

Last edited by mvwmvw; 05-02-2019 at 05:37 PM.
mvwmvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
doug022984
Doug

Default Re: New England to Yellowstone in a 2004 with 220000 miles

I'm sure others will chime in. I've never done a long trip like you other than to Houston and back (11 hour roundtrip), but I can offer two pieces of advice based on your description. 1. if you don't have one already, get a scanner that reads sprinters. Most popular budget ones on here that I've seen are the Autel MD802 and the iCarsoft MBII. I have the icarsoft. Since it sounds like you have intermittent LHM, it will perhaps tell you why. And the other benefit is depending on the cause, you can get out of LHM without having to pull over and cycle the key. I get intermittent LHM sometimes too and key cycle doesn't always work, but I can clear trans codes and get it to go away. If the scanner is already hooked up, you can do this without even coming to a stop (DISCLAIMER: you'd have to scroll through the scanner menus to reset the codes, which would be similar to texting and driving in terms of safety risk if done while moving). I know the cause of mine, just haven't put in the time to change out the conductor plate yet. 2. your reason for LHM sounds like boost leak if it happens on hard acceleration. Your suspicion of cracked resonator further confirms that theory. I've read other threads on here where that was the LHM cause and again a scanner could help confirm.

Last edited by doug022984; 05-02-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Safety Disclaimer
doug022984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doug022984 For This Useful Post:
mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
rjc3

A scanner is a must have! I have the Autel MD808 Pro. It was $230 on Amazon. It has paid for itself many times over.
rjc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjc3 For This Useful Post:
mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,694 Times in 4,229 Posts

Is the water pump original? Last coolant change?

What is the code that results when you go into LHM? I would bet boost related? Its important to know roughly what the cause is. Some can be safely ignored for medium length periods. Others can cause sudden issues. If its a fuel pressure code for example, you should pay close attention!

What is the state of your engine and cabin air filters?

Have you taken a look between the radiator and Ac condenser? Crap can build up in there.

Is the radiator fan clutch original? If so consider a preemptive replacement with the serp belt parts.

Don't do the trip without a good scanner. Its worth more than 20lbs of spare parts.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 05-02-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Midwestdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,173 Times in 3,710 Posts

Thermostat, the Master Sprinter Servant is always yammering about replacing the thermostat!!!

Replacing all hoses associated with the cooling system are cheaper and less inconvenient than a tow and an away-from-home repair by mechanics of dubious competence and virtue. Don't even have to install now, just have them on hand if one blows. You'll be a hero for possessing foresight to prepare for such an event.

Water, at least a gallon per person per day. Nothing worse than being broke down on a blistering summer day without water.

Don't drive fast and furious,

NOx

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 05-02-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
marklg

My 2006 has about 100k miles.

I got the Europarts Type 1 serpentine belt kit. It has the two grooved pulleys. It replaced a set with one grooved and one smooth and fit just fine. I am not sure it really matters. If you do it yourself, look on the T1N writeups forum for hints on the serpentine belt replacement and on youtube. I got a lot of good hints and added a few to the list in the writeup.

Your LHM with acceleration sounds like the classic turbo resonator leak, but you should be able to get the codes as was suggested with a good scanner. I replaced the both resonator and the intercooler hoses and it seems OK now.

I replaced the fan clutch.

For spares, I carry the serpentine belt, pulley and tensioner kit from Europarts (just installed so I am saving the old pulleys and tensioner, belt was shot).

I also carry these from Europarts:

Thermostat w/Housing & Seal 2002-2006
EPN: 611 200 07 15

Water Pump Coolant Pipe Flange Gasket 2004-
EPN: 647 201 00 80

Water Pump-New 2004-2006
EPN: 647 200 01 01

I carry these from Million Mile Sprinter:

Cooling Hose Kit

"The 118 Lite" Basic Spare Parts Kit '02-06

I figure to do the cooling stuff when the first thing goes, kind of like what I did with the Serpentine belt kit. Replace what goes on the road and then replace everything in the group when at a convenient location.

These forums have lots of good stuff on electrical installations. I've added some that I hope are helpful.

IDParts has some good stuff too, and they are in your neck of the woods.

You have my admiration packing six people into a Sprinter. I'd love to see some pictures of your build.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
gilee (05-03-2019), mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,945 Times in 5,793 Posts

There's "LHM" and there's "no guts" ... full LHM restricts you to one gear (the one you were in when it happened, or 2nd)

I agree with the rest: the thing you're missing is a scanner (perhaps two).

As well as the "workshop level" Autel, you might consider spending another $150 or so for a ScanGauge (or UltraGauge)... it's a gadget which is intended to be always plugged in and showing you "live time" displays of stuff like MPG, GPH, LOaD, *accurate* MPH, VLT, IAT, MAP (after-turbo pressure) etc etc ... and it can read the generic P-codes.

By simply letting you know when to downshift (LOD above 70%? consider downshifting) you can increase your MPG by 10% or more.

I agree with the rest that your "LHM" may merely be a turbo pressure leak (look for baked-on oil spatter on the passenger side of the rear of the radiator) and perhaps replace the resonator with either the aluminum pipe (never dies) or a Dorman plastic equivalent (much better seal). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rintersou02-20
... but the leak could be escaping under a hose clamp, or an unseen split in one of the big rubber turbo hoses.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
As well as the "workshop level" Autel, you might consider spending another $150 or so for a ScanGauge (or UltraGauge)... it's a gadget which is intended to be always plugged in and showing you "live time" displays of stuff like MPG, GPH, LOaD, *accurate* MPH, VLT, IAT, MAP (after-turbo pressure) etc etc ... and it can read the generic P-codes.

By simply letting you know when to downshift (LOD above 70%? consider downshifting) you can increase your MPG by 10% or more.
--dick
I'm using an ODB2 Bluetooth dongle and the Torque android app on a cheap tablet. You can set up your own set of real time gauges. I'm very happy with it. It also reads generic codes.

screenshot.jpg

The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are just wishful thinking, but it calculates them from the vehicle and tablet / phone sensors, so why not?

It also saves a track log with the data you request, making dynamic troubleshooting much easier. I save these every second:

GPS Time
Device Time
Longitude
Latitude
GPS Speed (Meters/second)
Horizontal Dilution of Precision
Altitude
Bearing
G(x)
G(y)
G(z)
G(calibrated)
Barometric pressure (from vehicle)(psi)
Engine RPM(rpm)
Fuel flow rate/hour(gal/hr)
Intake Manifold Pressure(psi)
Mass Air Flow Rate(cfm)
Miles Per Gallon(Instant)(mpg)
Miles Per Gallon(Long Term Average)(mpg)
Turbo Boost & Vacuum Gauge(psi)

The G forces are even saved so you can see if going over a bump, for example, causes something. Going to LHM is easy to spot as the boost goes to 0. You can see what it was doing just before.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

New England to Yellowstone in a 2004 with 220000 miles

Maybe make a check stop in Mechanicsburg, PA and visit Sun Motors Mercedes. They have 7 Sprinter bays and are very reliable, dependable, forthcoming in diagnosing your LHM. Nice place to give your Sprinter a "a-okay" before heading to Yellowstone.

We're likewise taking an excursion to Haida Gwaii, BC. this summer from Arizona.

cheers
mvwmvw (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,173 Times in 3,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
I'm using an ODB2 Bluetooth dongle and the Torque android app on a cheap tablet. You can set up your own set of real time gauges. I'm very happy with it. It also reads generic codes.

Attachment 111821

The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are just wishful thinking, but it calculates them from the vehicle and tablet / phone sensors, so why not?

It also saves a track log with the data you request, making dynamic troubleshooting much easier. I save these every second:

GPS Time
Device Time
Longitude
Latitude
GPS Speed (Meters/second)
Horizontal Dilution of Precision
Altitude
Bearing
G(x)
G(y)
G(z)
G(calibrated)
Barometric pressure (from vehicle)(psi)
Engine RPM(rpm)
Fuel flow rate/hour(gal/hr)
Intake Manifold Pressure(psi)
Mass Air Flow Rate(cfm)
Miles Per Gallon(Instant)(mpg)
Miles Per Gallon(Long Term Average)(mpg)
Turbo Boost & Vacuum Gauge(psi)

The G forces are even saved so you can see if going over a bump, for example, causes something. Going to LHM is easy to spot as the boost goes to 0. You can see what it was doing just before.

Regards,

Mark
Will it monitor DPF temperature?
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
mvwmvw (05-18-2019)

Tags
road trip, rsn, t1n