Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
TROLL
2007 Winnebago View 23H

Default Renovating Sprinter RV -- looking for help with interior design ideas!

Recently bought a used 2007 Winnebago View which has been pretty well modified and I plan to renovate to update, freshen up, and make a bit nicer. I am trying to tackle a lot of projects but also complete these projects in the next 4 months so I need to keep that in mind.

I plan to replace the flooring with vinyl plank flooring and paint the walls, and I plan to keep the original "honey cherry" cabinet color and off-white ceiling in place as is -- a balance between making it look its best without digging in TOO deep. The blue/gray/cream upholstery is also in like new condition so I'd like to keep that as well unless there's an easy/inexpensive way to transform the sleeper sofa.

(*alternative ending -- a friend of mine is really trying to get me to paint the cabinets white or light gray which would open up the possibilities, but I feel like that would be a lot of extra time spent to do that so I'm hesitant. Told her if she helps me then its a MAYBE, so I'm open to your opinions there also).

I'm not much of an interior designer -- so I'd love some input on what color palette you think I could go for to work around these existing components. I'd love light, bright, and modern, but I'm feeling constrained by the original cabinet color and I'm not sure how to modernize the look but also work with that color.

Here are some photos of my existing setup so you can see what I'm working with.

Inspiration:

(from https://mobilehomeliving.org/one-fam...rv-renovation/)

edit: is there a way to make the images display here that I'm missing? I'm used to [img] tags but its not working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC4355.jpg (96.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4356.jpg (99.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4357.jpg (64.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4367.jpg (99.0 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by TROLL; 07-27-2018 at 04:04 PM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
InterBlog

Default Re: Renovating Sprinter RV -- looking for help with interior design ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
....I plan to keep the original "honey cherry" cabinet color and off-white ceiling in place as is -....
I'm not much of an interior designer -- so I'd love some input on what color palette you think I could go for to work around these existing components. I'd love light, bright, and modern, but I'm feeling constrained by the original cabinet color and I'm not sure how to modernize the look but also work with that color. .....
If you want to keep those cabinets, and personally I think you should because they ARE in such good shape, then you should be aiming for the opposite side of the color wheel on the remainder of the design. You won't achieve balance otherwise.

I know that the white modern farmhouse thing is all the rage right now, courtesy of Joanna Gaines, but it's like shabby chic - it, too, is a trend that will expire quickly enough and then look comically dated in its own way.

The opposite side of the color wheel falls in blue and gray tones. Winnebago actually did a very good job of your cabinetry - the mistake they made was making the rest of the rig look like Grandma died in there. They didn't respect the color wheel, in other words. Their color choices were out of control.

Look at my rig, also a 2007, as an example (pic below). IMO Airstream did an absolutely stunning job of this design. They took the same kind of warm cabinets but then they saturated the remainder of the van with the exact right shades of bluish grey and black, including the aluminum inner skin which is their signature design, to balance out all that warmth. It's Frank Lloyd Wright meets somebody's yacht. Wright was well-known for balancing his warm woods with concrete shades. If you are averse to darker grays, you might be able to achieve something with a lighter gray palette, but bear in mind that it has to be the RIGHT shades of gray. And design never works unless it properly balances light, medium and dark tones no matter what the colors are.

And lighting. A lot of sins can washed away with proper upgraded lighting. Case in point:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
HarryN

Default Re: Renovating Sprinter RV -- looking for help with interior design ideas!

The color is of course a very personal choice. My wife loves white / french / white washed stain looks and really isn't into the darker wood colors at all. I just go with the flow.

As a practical matter, the win view cabinets that I have seen are just a "paper" top layer, not something that I think of as easily painted. Perhaps a color change could be done with a vinyl material?

I will admit though that I really don't understand the "live" edge wood on counters, but no one would ever pay me for my aesthetic opinions.

I actually really like the "open" look that you have going right now. Consider perhaps to leave it that way

Perhaps move the inverter to an exterior cabinet.

Instagram WirlNet

web store https://squareup.com/store/wirlnet-com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:49 AM   #4
TROLL
2007 Winnebago View 23H

Thanks so much for your replies -- I think the earlier views like mine had higher quality cabinets than the newer models if I understand correctly. The wood is nice, I just struggle with the specific color.
Good input on balancing the colors -- I still do like a lighter brighter overall look though so maybe a lighter or middle gray/blue floor would work. Your photo does look very nice and classy but I want to keep things as bright as possible since I just feel like it feels more open and like a bigger space.

I may also replace the kitchen counter and dinette table since both have been hacked up quite a bit so there's another element to play with. I will be putting some sort of dinette or chair/table back on the other side to work / eat at, but I haven't decided what. I do plan to make it smaller than the original since I don't need seating for 4 and it took up a lot of space.

I have heard others say they just painted over the wallpaper -- hoping that works well. I have quite a few screw holes to fill and some ripped paper to smooth out and I'd like to get some nice results from this project.

If anyone has any other examples or ideas I am all ears -- really appreciate the input!
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
MsNomer

If it were mine: I'd struggle with the cabinet color, but leave it if it is really decent wood because it would be more durable than any paint finish.

I'd get rid of every smidgen of that off-white, including the ceiling, and add more light gray matching the brushed metal corners of the cabinetry. Then I'd choose my favorite bright colors for the upholstery. I wouldn't limit myself to blue--for me, I'd choose green.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Tooth_Fairy

It would be interesting to look at what you've done, actually, any photos of the result? It's a shampe there's almost no place to put anything on the walls, but in any case, texeprintstore has got paintings of different sizes, maybe your new design allows to hang something there.
Tooth_Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
outwestbound

I wouldn't paint the cabinets, because it's difficult to do well. May be better to take advantage of the wood (nautical) look than risk the appearance of a "less than professional" paint job. Even if painted perfectly, the beating this RV takes may show on the paint surfaces in a year or two and be hard to "touch up" and be a maintenance issue.

I'd research the flooring carefully, especially how to deal with transitions well. These vehicles twist and rack, so you'd want to be sure you didn't get separation if you go strip flooring. Winnebago used cheap sheet goods, but sheet goods tent not to separate as easily and are light weight.
2011 Carri Lite 37' fifthwheel
South America
2006 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2.7L, 158" (Itasca Navion 23J)
outwestbound is offline   Reply With Quote