Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 03-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
obgraham

Default Re: battery disconnect switch for winter storage

Something ain't right. The chassis battery should maintain its charge for months regardless of the house batteries. However, in my 2014 CS shore power does not maintain the chassis battery.

Something's draining that chassis battery. Either a parasite load, or a wiring error.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

You really should install a positive battery disconnect switch on the house batteries. The isolation relay draws nearly 1/2 amp 24/7. Leaving the rig for more than a few days will prematurely kill the house batteries. The trip lite inverter is not a good fit to leave on to trickle charge the house batteries, it tends to over charge IMHO. A small solar panel or a tiny trickle charger, one for the house one for the engine is the best solution.

As for the engine battery dying after a few days, look for a phantom load, like the radio or security system. A small load over a long time will kill a battery just as dead as a large load over a short time.

Quite simply, pulling the ground cable behind the throttle pedal is a very easy solution.

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
gregmchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokestack View Post
I have a 2016 RT CS. It has 460 miles on it. I keep it stored inside at 40F with shore power connected. After about a week it will not start...chassis battery dead or close to dead. I leave the keys on the floor out of the ignition.
Should I be toggling the battery disconnect switch on the far left above the door. I was under the assumption the inverter/charger keeps the chassis battery topped off via this connection.

I did a load test on the chassis battery under the floor using a battery load tester. It tested good.

Not sure what I am doing wrong and hate to leave it sit at the dealer for a week.

thanks for a recommendation.
Do you have AGM batteries, how many? or Do have Ecotrek lithium batteries?

Do you have the engine generator option or the Onan generator?

Do you have the old style Tripp-Lite inverter under the driver's seat or the newer inverter under the bed?

Is there a battery separator on the firewall under the hood?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
smokestack

Do you have the old style Tripp-Lite inverter under the driver's seat or the newer inverter under the bed?

Hi Greg...4 AGMs- two underhood two under-rear
Engine generator
Inverter under bed left
Battery Separator-not sure. Audible clicking when batt switch is cycled.
smokestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
gregmchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokestack View Post

Hi Greg...4 AGMs- two underhood two under-rear
Engine generator
Inverter under bed left
Battery Separator-not sure. Audible clicking when batt switch is cycled.
In your configuration there may be no battery seperator since the engine generator charges the batteries while driving. I am not sure but there may be no charging of the chassis battery from shore power in your configuration. As you probably already know, with the new style inverters you typically need the inverter turned on to get battery charging while in shore power. The clicking you hear when the battery switch is cycled is the battery disconnect relay not a battery seperator which would be under the hood.

I think in your configuration there is, as already suggested, likely a parasitic drain on the chassis battery that may not be related to the house side electrical system. With the house batteries disconnected using the battery switch and with the inverter off there should be no loads on the house batteries.

If you are not a member already, consider joining the Roadtrek Owners Group on Facebook, a lot of owners there with all the different model Roadtreks helping each other.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #16
rapper

Smoke - i am almost sure you have a battery separator. Mine is under the hood, passenger side. It is clearly marked battery separator. Mine is Model 1315-200. This model does two-way charging. http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ST_180126a.pdf

Did you also turned ON your inverter when plugged in? When turned ON and detects shore power, it becomes a "charger". When your battery separator detects that your house batteries is already at cut-off voltage which is 13.2V and chassis battery voltage is less than 13.2V, it activates the relay so it "joins" the two. This will now charge your chassis battery. It "isolates' the two batteries again when both are above cutoff voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batt_separator.JPG (55.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:27 AM   #17
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

^ I believe this battery separator draws about 1/2 amp, while not much, is enough to kill. The house batteries in a few days! (.5 A *24 is 12 ah*7 days is 91 ah. a pair of GC2 batteries has a ah capacity of ~220 ah, so after a week the battery will be drawn nearly 50%, hence the need for a postive off switch on the battery. The door switch just turns the battery off the loads in the van.)

Icarus

PS a better alternative is a BlueSea mag latch relay that draws no stand by current.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:29 AM   #18
gregmchugh

I believe you will find that on vans with the engine generator option Roadtrek does not have a battery separator installed and there is no charging of the chassis starting battery from the RV side when you are plugged into shore power. There is no need for the battery separator since the coach batteries are charged from the engine generator not the chassis alternator when the engine is running. Roadtrek could install something to allow shore power charging of the chassis starting battery but they don't do that.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
CyBeth
2015 CS Adventurous

Greg is correct. I asked the same question on the Roadtreking FB pages and with an RT tech yesterday and got a definitive answer that
- no separator on the CS configured as above
- chassis battery is only charged by engine alternator when engine is running
- use an external charger connected to the jumper points underhood if charging chassis battery is needed
- both "Battery Off" switch AND inverter need to be on for shore power to charge the house batteries
CyBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
Trekker
Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
^ I believe this battery separator draws about 1/2 amp, while not much, is enough to kill. The house batteries in a few days! (.5 A *24 is 12 ah*7 days is 91 ah. a pair of GC2 batteries has a ah capacity of ~220 ah, so after a week the battery will be drawn nearly 50%, hence the need for a postive off switch on the battery. The door switch just turns the battery off the loads in the van.)

Icarus

PS a better alternative is a BlueSea mag latch relay that draws no stand by current.
You have correctly raised this point before. Wouldn't pulling the ground connection on the separator accomplish the same thing? Just as easy as turning a switch on and off, and one doesn't need to install another component.??