Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

View Poll Results: Would you buy 2nd Sprinter after owning for a period of time?
Yes 163 85.79%
No 27 14.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll | Withdraw Vote

Old 07-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
johnshmit

Thanked 1,195 Times in 829 Posts
Default Re: Things to know before you Buy a 4X4 sprinter

Nobody wants to attack you IMHO.
Problem is that your problems TECHNICAL aspect sounds too weak for anyone who knows how to start a screwdriver.
Despite a real issues with a MB service, it is understandable that when you attack those guys with such an energy over such a minor issues,
they just switch to defensive mode and won't help you even if they could. That is the human nature, not MB or Ford.

Not trying to offense you at all, but have a hard time, buying the story as it was told.
Maybe if you can give us some technical details .... like... what is wrong with it ... so you have to keep it in the shop and loose so much money?
johnshmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
Nate

I'm still trying to figure out who makes the kind of cash you mention, yet can't afford a rental and doesn't put anything down on it. If I was making $100,00+- a year for transporting dogs you can bet that I'd have a second vehicle to use in an emergency.
Because things break and accidents happen.

Hopefully things with the dealer get straightened out.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
2002 VW Golf TDI. 185k (Sold)
2013 VW Gold TDI 51k

The Gassers.
2013 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro 49k
01 SAAB 9-5 Aero 100K (Sold)
81 VW cabriolet ?K (Sold)
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
johnshmit

Thanked 1,195 Times in 829 Posts

I purchased a new 2015 170 High top Cargo 4x4 sprinter for conversion on May 4th...

I have been out a vehicle since the 7th. 13 days in and they need more time is what I get....
07-11-2015, 11:10 PM Today 20,000 miles on the van...

Driving 500m per day 24/7 is little hard for the little Sprinter.

I work in Manufacturing. I understand how this happened....
I transport high value K9's across the country...

Good luck with your van Merlin.
johnshmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #14
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshmit View Post
I purchased a new 2015 170 High top Cargo 4x4 sprinter for conversion on May 4th...

I have been out a vehicle since the 7th. 13 days in and they need more time is what I get....

Merlin, just a perfect name, I second that.

George.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeRa For This Useful Post:
K-9 SPRINTER (07-14-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
gary 32
07 ncv3 pv

Default I went through it, buy back

Nebraska Lemon Law Rights

Chapter 60, Sections 2701 – 2709, Motor Vehicles

Nebraska Lemon Law 60-2701 Terms, defined.

As used in sections 60-2701 to 60-2709, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Consumer shall mean the purchaser, other than for purposes of resale, of a motor vehicle normally used for personal, family, household, or business purposes, any person to whom such motor vehicle is transferred for the same purposes during the duration of an express warranty applicable to such motor vehicle, and any other person entitled by the terms of such warranty to enforce the obligations of the warranty;

(2) Motor vehicle shall mean a new motor vehicle as defined in section 60-1401.02 which is sold in this state, excluding self-propelled mobile homes as defined in section 60-301; and

(3) Manufacturer’s express warranty shall mean the written warranty, so labeled, of the manufacturer of a new motor vehicle.

60-2702 Motor vehicle not conforming to express warranties.

If a motor vehicle does not conform to all applicable express warranties, and the consumer reports the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer during the term of such express warranties or during the period of one year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the earlier date, the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer shall make such repairs as are necessary to conform the vehicle to such express warranties, notwithstanding the fact that such repairs are made after the expiration of such term or such one-year period.

Nebraska Lemon Law 60-2703 Manufacturer’s duty to replace vehicle or refund price.

If the manufacturer, its agents, or authorized dealers are unable to conform the motor vehicle to any applicable express warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition which substantially impairs the use and market value of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle or accept return of the vehicle from the consumer and refund to the consumer the full purchase price including all sales taxes, license fees, and registration fees and any similar governmental charges, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer’s use of the vehicle. Refunds shall be made to the consumer and lien holder, if any, as their interests may appear. A reasonable allowance for use shall be that amount directly attributable to use by the consumer and any previous owner prior to his or her first report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer, agent, or dealer and during any subsequent period when the vehicle is not out of service by reason of repair. It shall be an affirmative defense to any claim under sections 60-2701 to 60-2709

(1) that an alleged nonconformity does not substantially impair such use and market value or

(2) that a nonconformity is the result of abuse, neglect, or unauthorized modifications or alterations of a motor vehicle by a consumer.

60-2704 Attempts to conform motor vehicle to warranties.

It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties, if
(1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer, its agents, or authorized dealers within the express warranty term or during the period of one year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the earlier date, but such nonconformity continues to exist or

(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of forty or more days during such term or during such period, whichever is the earlier date. The term of an express warranty, such one-year period, and such forty-day period shall be extended by any period of time during which repair services are not available to the consumer because of a war, invasion, or strike, or fire, flood, or other natural disaster. In no event shall the presumption provided in this section apply against a manufacturer unless the manufacturer has received prior written direct notification by certified mail from or on behalf of the consumer and an opportunity to cure the defect alleged.

Nebraska Lemon Law 60-2705 Dispute settlement procedure.

The Director of Motor Vehicles shall adopt standards for an informal dispute settlement procedure which substantially comply with the provisions of 16 C.F.R. part 703, in existence as of February 22, 1983. If a manufacturer has established or participates in a dispute settlement procedure certified by the Director of Motor Vehicles within the guidelines of such standards, the provisions of section 60-2703 concerning refunds or replacement shall not apply to any consumer who has not first resorted to such a procedure.

Nebraska Lemon Law 60-2706 Statute of limitations.

Any action brought under sections 60-2701 to 60-2709 shall be commenced within (1) one year following the expiration of the express warranty term or (2) two years following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the earlier date.
gary 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gary 32 For This Useful Post:
justimaginejack (07-14-2015), kcshoots (08-31-2016)
Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
gnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshmit View Post

When did this turn into "The Danger Zone" ?? John? George?
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:44 AM   #17
SurfnDirt Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimaginejack View Post
Rear temps- The van itself can easily get up to 120 degrees in summer heat as lows a 93.
The cabin could be kept at 80 but the middle of the van would be 80-90 and the rear of the van over 100.

Please post photos of how you secure the dogs you transport for your work (mentioned in another post here) and how you keep them cool when the rear of your van gets up to 100-120 degrees. I plan on taking mountain bike / hiking trips with my 2 Australian Shepherds throughout Arizona and Nevada from cooler and mostly paved coastal California. I'll be encountering lots of dirt roads and high temperatures and your photos and tips will be invaluable...thanks!
SurfnDirt Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 AM   #18
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I'm still trying to figure out who makes the kind of cash you mention, yet can't afford a rental and doesn't put anything down on it. If I was making $100,00+- a year for transporting dogs you can bet that I'd have a second vehicle to use in an emergency.

I'd be LEASING for the deductions and the quick access of a replacement vehicle if I were relying on a van as the main feature of my work...
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #19
justimaginejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnDirt Sprinter View Post
Please post photos of how you secure the dogs you transport for your work (mentioned in another post here) and how you keep them cool when the rear of your van gets up to 100-120 degrees. I plan on taking mountain bike / hiking trips with my 2 Australian Shepherds throughout Arizona and Nevada from cooler and mostly paved coastal California. I'll be encountering lots of dirt roads and high temperatures and your photos and tips will be invaluable...thanks!

Get a solid Kennel, Make sure it is plastic and has no holes on the bottom portion. Put some type of padding between the floor and the kennel to absorb shock. We have a cushioned seat. Petco brand kennels ordered offline and delivered have held up surprisingly well for the price. The Pet Mate Airline grade are what I would invest money in for long term. Avoid the metal as it transfers heat/cold.This is one of the better units, thicker plastic. http://www.petmate.com/airline-travel-kit

I use ratchet straps, Ancra are best in my opinion, and use you can use the home depot ones almost as well. I got most of it from Mackie. My van had L-track (load or airplane track).
http://www.mackieenterprises.com
I put one strap to the floor over the center and another from the front to the wall.
Place a fan on the wire door. I like this one best right now. https://www.rayallen.com/product/ken...ce-Military-k9
I have these, plus truck stop versions and a custom set up with computer fans running off a DC battery.
RayAllen.com has the best stuff I have seen for this.
I Also use his Water bowls. https://www.rayallen.com/product/64o...s-Food-Storage

be mindful humidity will play a larger factor in the temp. the dog's exhalation creates humidity and needs to be fanned out of the kennel.
I have several types including wireless units that can be taped inside the top of the Kennel, and this one seems to get the job done best. It can clip on to the door, and the sensor is in the rear, so the humidity coming from the Animals breathe will register. http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A...410878-6690218

I had a breeding dog who was so stressed by getting in the van he had the Humidity in his kennel up to 70% in 5 minutes while I was talking to the breeder. As soon as we got under way he calmed down and stuck his nose against the fan to cool himself. He was good the rest of the trip. I position the fans high so they can sit up and feel it, or lay down to avoid it.

As for A/C the plan was to get a MaxAir Deluxe Fan installed, as well as test out a mini-split hung internally from the back and then condensor on the back door. I had seen an HVAC company who did this to their vans in Europe. If this didn't work, I was planning on having either Outside Van's or Van Specialties insulate the van an install a diesel generator and a roof top AC with an Espar or equivalent heater.

With my AC down as low as a temp as it can and the fan on full blast with recirculation, The temps still varied more than 30 degrees from the front of the van to the back above the bed rack even with fans. it really needs insulation and AC. If your dog is a long haired breed and you need to cool him/her quickly, get a spray bottle and spritz them with water in front of the fan. This is a good way to temporarily create cooling, do not make a habit of this as it increases the humidity.

I hope this helps.
justimaginejack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justimaginejack For This Useful Post:
SurfnDirt Sprinter (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:15 AM   #20
justimaginejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post

Nate, I left my Job as a corporate Executive in May when I bought this van. I had previously transported K9's for police and military, usually just having them cover gas.
I needed a change, so I started Transporting full time. If I charge 500.00 a dog and we go 2000-3000 miles I need several dogs to cover my costs. This is very hard to do when the van is constantly in the shop. I have not been able to book enough loads to cover my costs due to not having the van.
Just this week I will have to cancel more loads as it is back in the shop with no power steering.
Can I use my cash to pay for a rental, yes. And after making the payment, covering all of my other costs and not being able to book new loads, the negative cashflow is growing.
Increasing my costs will not allow me to cover my fixed costs, so it will all be negative cash flow. At some point you have to put a limit to your losses. Right now, the economics are not there.
The business was Started in May. The van was in the shop for most of May waiting on parts from Germany. I have a personal Automobile that will not work for this purpose.
justimaginejack is offline   Reply With Quote