Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
davidmbecker

Default Re: 2014 Roadtrek CS Adventurous - after 4500 Miles

Dude! That looks sweet!
davidmbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #22
gte
2008 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbecker View Post
Gary, thanks for the suggestions. Can you, when you get a chance, link in the part numbers and pics of your improvements? Seriously want that shut off valve. The current setup is stupid. Also, recommendations on the memory foam would be helpful.

Thanks!
David,
The shut off valve is less than $10 at home depot and the memory foam is from Walmart. I also put a 1/4 inch 2' x 4' piece of masonite under the mattress to smooth out the crack in the seat. We have our beds set up as twins on each side in the back. We also leave them set up all the time and eat at the front table in our RS. The two gallon pressure tank is carried by home depot although I bought mine at Menards (in the midwest only I think).
I will send pictures next week when I can get them
Gary
gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #23
gte
2008 RS

David
I found these pictures online. The valve gets bad ratings for leaking but mine has not leaked in two years. I can send installed pictures next week if you like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pressure tank.jpg (1.1 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg Shower Valve.jpg (15.8 KB, 298 views)
File Type: gif topper.gif (5.2 KB, 291 views)
gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #24
Russ61

I have 1 less month and 2,000 more miles on my 2015 (2014 chassis) CS and (mostly) love it. The mostly is due to a laundry list of little nagging issues that WILL get fixed as soon as I can quit using it (prime time here in the PNW) AND I can find a dealer with available service time.

Based on your list my comments are:
1. Agree wholeheartedly about the wisdom of the B (vs B+, C, let alone A) class configuration re getting about not only on marginal rural/remote roads but around town/city as well.
3. Re mpg, I've documented exactly what/when/how much fuel I've used since mile 1. 17.52 mpg including the initial cross country trip. Mileage seems to be improving as it wears in, perhaps also because I'm not doing 70-75 mph into headwind with A/C on full! And this is despite the last 3,000 mile being principally up/down multiple Cascades trips (mountains). I've gotten as much as 20 mpg on a coastal trip (flatter, slower, no A/C).
5. Latches: likewise several of these perplexed me as I couldn't open them without difficulty despite readjusting the hinges. On a whim I wetted my finger and then the plastic "interface" between the tab on the door and on the frame....easy peezee! I applied a little chapstick I had handy and haven't had ANY problem since.
8. Leveling jacks: while I understand the convenience of having them, the weight and framing issues along with cost (controllers etc) preclude these IMO. I have used Andersen Levelers with some limited (<4") success and am reconciled to realistically having to get additional answers for more extreme uneven terrain. Nice to have a far more unlevel tolerant electric compressor style refrig vs gas absorption type and its necessity of having leveled RV for safety reasons.
9. Re galley countertop space I concur. That is the compromise in a class B and certainly in the storage rich (relatively) CS model. I almost immediately sensed that the proximity of the propane range, especially with a large pan on the left burner, would cause excess heat issue on the wooden cabinetry. I'm considering adding tile or something to insulate that wall at least several inches up. I'm also concerned about wetness (right, sink side) on the wooden cabinet...tiling there perhaps also.
10. My microwave (1000w) seems on par with what I experience at home in a slightly more powerful (1100w) unit. I haven't prepped anything requiring long cook times or used the convection oven yet.
11. CS refrig/freezer is "awesome"....I concur, not only because of the 7 cu ft but because of the location, ie NOT on the floor. Proximity to the 2nd row seat makes loading/unloading easy. It was one of the real features (along w/ higher microwave) that led us to the CS....longer duration between grocery trips! However, my unit is malfunctioning if using on 12v DC....still works fine on 120v AC (inverted 12v DC or shore power). Warranty issue that reportedly has plaqued others, ie controller circuit board.
14. BBQ/LPG hose: you must be running your hose from the driver side underneath the unit up to the passenger (awning) side?
21/22. Be thankful that your table bases are bolted in. Mine were all stripped out and I had to replace with longer/wider screws (with better shaped heads!) after putting glue into the initial holes. Fine since. Agree on the awkward front table, ie driver seat occupant isolated without swiveling table!!!
26. Batteries: I have 4 x 6v AGMs, 2 in the engine compartment and 2 mounted near the left driver side bumper under the chassis. E-Trek mounts 6 in the well (open bottom) otherwise used for storage on RS/CS models. I find it ample (if judicious) to meet my power needs, although I haven't camped in sweltering heat or cooked Thanksgiving dinner in it.
27. I absolutely concur. I've had people follow me off freeway ramps (gas, food) and at all sort of other instances to ask about the unit. I love the absence of dated graphics and the clean exterior.

Last edited by Russ61; 09-27-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Russ61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #25
Russ61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein Sprinter View Post
Had a "chat" at their tech chat web site with Roadtrek about this latch..they said that they now use a magnetic door latch that holds up to 50# pressure?? Available at HomeDepot they say. Am scouring HomeDepot for it...

cheers...
I'm surprised. Apparently the black inverted L lock pin was on the Left door previously??? Mine is on the right. It does NOT function well, at least not without seriously digging into the gelcoat of the basin. If they now use a magnetic latch I'd want to replace mine yesterday!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte View Post
David
I found these pictures online. The valve gets bad ratings for leaking but mine has not leaked in two years. I can send installed pictures next week if you like
Great idea!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #26
Russ61

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte View Post
Dave,
Very good review of the CS. Thanks.
I am interested in the CS and appreciate your review. I have a 2008 RS and have never been able to get the surround sound system to work well. It could be made very simple as you suggest The latches are a pain. I do like the larger refrigerator and Microwave placement on top of the fridge. Having both on the floor is bad. Could one order eight batteries from Roadtrek? I agree the propane generator is a nice option and the gas lasts so long it is amazing, however, having an all electric sounds nice. Was the diesel heater(Wabaso??) an option on the CS. Also I understood the CS had in floor heating or is that an option?
I agree the class B is a great option and the Roadtrek RS or CS are very nice units, but they could be improved.
Gary
My understanding is that initially there were a few "trial" CS models that used Webastos units but no longer. I understand that the only CS's being made now use the Alde system. Here is a link to the best layman's description I've seen of it. It really is a combustion chamber surrounded by a tank/chamber of glycol fluid used for central space heating that is further surrounded by an outer tank of hot water for bathing/washing etc. The heated glycol fluid is pumped around thru tubing in the floor to convection heaters (side doorway, bathroom, under the sofa, rear wheel-well cabinet).
Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #27
Russ61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein Sprinter View Post
"Paint rubbed off" ?? You mean the fiberglass gel coat!?. These can be re-gelled.

You might also consider adding a teak shower grate; easy n' soft on your feet..won't mildew, smells nice; dries fast...

cheers....
Interesting teak floorboards. Are these DIY or purchased? Where?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #28
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ61 View Post
I'm surprised. Apparently the black inverted L lock pin was on the Left door previously??? Mine is on the right. It does NOT function well, at least not without seriously digging into the gelcoat of the basin. If they now use a magnetic latch I'd want to replace mine yesterday!!!

Great idea!
As for the magnetic latch they now use...it's not available at HomeDepot here in NC...maybe only the Canadian HomeDepot carries these BUT first I would like to know how is it mounted without stumping your toes or gashing your head as it has to be mounted pretty much in the middle of the folding bath doors!

cheers....
Old 09-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #29
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ61 View Post
Interesting teak floorboards. Are these DIY or purchased? Where?
Used to live aboard a sailing vessel..thus my skills in things teak. Made it myself, BUT pretty easy to do yourself...make a cardboard template of the flooring you wish to cover then from the template design anything to suit your fancy up to the exact ending of the t.plate. Do keep in mind- design it for easy lay down and removal.

cheers...
krisinak (03-03-2017), Russ61 (09-28-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 03:52 AM   #30
gregmchugh

Which refrigerator are they installing in the CS?

Greg ?McHugh
2008 RS Adventurous
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote