Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
usa1169

Default Start Error - Should I replace SKREEM module?

I have now had two START ERROR episodes in three months, can anyone tell me if I should replace the SKREEM module or is this normal under the circumstances?

Low battery after a month parked unused in the deep cold led to a jump start, it cranked but barely. Waited 15 min while jumpered up to get a little charge into the battery, on second attempt solenoid clicked like it was going to crank but then nothing and we got a persistent START ERROR. All the posted Forum tricks to reset did not work. We had a four hour flatbed ride from Canada back to the nearest MB dealer in Spokane. Painful, but insurance paid for the flatbed. The MB dealer charged the battery overnight.... still got a START ERROR the next day. They pulled the dash open and checked voltage to the pins on the SKREEM module... all checked okay. Plugged the SKREEM module back in and the error went away. Tested it for a few days and then I collected the van... no problems for months.

Left on a five week trip.... decided to pull the negative battery terminal to avoid a drain down from power locks and other systems. When I got home I used the key to open the doors not the fob...replaced the negative terminal (I should have test the battery voltage first but I didn't). Inserted key, turned ignition on.... no crank just a START ERROR. It was dark in the garage so I fired up the lights and the high beams... full bright, no fade.... so battery seemed to be well charged. Put on a trickle charger and tried to use the key fob to lock doors... auto door locks would not operate with key fob... but the rocker switch on the dash would operate them. Locked door with key. The next morning the key fob unlocked the doors, no error codes, started right up.

Is this normal given the low battery, no battery events? Or is this a warning of things to come and I should replace the SKREEM module? I am only an hour away from SOS Diagnostics so getting a new SKREEM programed is not that big a deal. Just not eager to spend the $ if it is not necessary. Also not excited by the thought of getting stranded up in Canada or down in Mexico far from support.

Original owner 2005 118" short with 69,500mi.

Thanks!

Henry

Last edited by usa1169; 06-03-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: added details...
usa1169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
Turbo John

Default Re: Start Error - Should I replace SKREEM module?

The Skreem is a nightmare for some of us........we just bypassed them and got rid of the headache
Turbo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
usa1169

John, that sounds like the perfect solution to me! Didn't think it was possible. Is there a thread on how to, or can you explain your work around?

H
Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
JLC1

Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JLC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,945 Times in 5,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1169 View Post
John, that sounds like the perfect solution to me! Didn't think it was possible. Is there a thread on how to, or can you explain your work around?
This is the thread that describes it: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30028

Your situation seems to be triggered by (very) low voltage... so the SKREEM's radio system (or the SKREEM itself) may get slight "out-of-tune" when low (think radio drifting off station as the batteries die).

Since i've never run my battery down below 10 v (and certainly didn't try to start the Sprinter when i once did it... i popped a charger on it and didn't try starting until it was back up above 12v), i've never tested the "thin ice" you're on.
My one low-voltage incident did not include a Start Err message.

good luck
--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
usa1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC1 View Post
Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What part of this is unbelievable?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #7
MillionMileSprinter
Formerly Type2Teach

Thanked 1,516 Times in 853 Posts

Boy, all this mystery about how to bypass/eliminate the SKREEM. For those of you reading and are curious, here's the secret:
Get a GDE tune and ask them to eliminate your SKREEM. It's about the same as sending the SKREEM to SOS twice to have them do their magic. But with the GDE tune, you won't have to send it back like some people have had to do with SOS, and you get a Sprinter that drives like a completely new animal.
Yes, I have the GDE tune and no, I didn't get the SKREEM delete, mostly because I didn't know it was an option at the time I bought it.
And if you want to see how much power it produces, just look at my avitar. The red van has the GDE tune, not the white one.
'06 medium/short Silver Passenger 265k
Joel Sell
For HELP, SERVICE and MORE
Visit: www.millionmilesprinter.com
Cooling System Kit: https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/...n-life-cooling
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/million_mile_sprinter/
MMS YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuq...mQ8mWdgF1XpLhg
MillionMileSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillionMileSprinter For This Useful Post:
beansbest (06-16-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,969 Times in 8,881 Posts

Sprinter modules don't like low voltage. Comments from Doktor A and some history of posts on here indicate that the SKREEM system is particularly sensitive.

I didn't see that you replaced your battery. Your battery has been abused and may be past recovery. All your SKREEM problems may be related to your low voltage incidents. A battery replacement may cure your problems and help to avoid future damage to modules.

That said, if you have the funds the GDE SKREEM pre-check disable seems to be a permanent solution for SKREEM problems. Were I faced with intermittent SKREEM issues I'd go for the GDE solution just for peace of mind to avoid possible stranding and resulting towing/trip interruption.

vic

P.S. - JLC1 doesn't seem to like Sprinters.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
usa1169

Thanks to everyone for the info. Have read all the threads on the GDE path so I am up to speed. One follow up question for people who have bypassed the SKREEM using GDE's firmware patch... how long have you been running with the SKREEM bypassed? Just want to confirm this is in fact a permanent solution.

Thanks again everyone!

[QUOTE=
P.S. - JLC1 doesn't seem to like Sprinters.[/QUOTE]

Just went back through JLC1's threads.... you are right, he doesn't like Sprinters at all! Bit of a troll it seems.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
usa1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
I didn't see that you replaced your battery. Your battery has been abused and may be past recovery. All your SKREEM problems may be related to your low voltage incidents. A battery replacement may cure your problems and help to avoid future damage to modules.

vic
Just FYI for those reading the thread... battery was replaced two months before this started. Heading up to the land of -25C I wanted a good new battery. The reason it ran down was I left the car parked for well over a month. But in the extreme cold without a full charge to get acid levels up that may have damaged it permanently.
The Following User Says Thank You to usa1169 For This Useful Post:
wadegreene (08-11-2019)