Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Default 2010 Sprinter Roadtrek..144"

Hi Guys/gals..

Am thinking of getting ourselves a 2010 Roadtrek-19'.. Now I don't care too much for the hanging spare tire behind the rear doors. The LP gen has taken up the undercarriage cave of the spare tire..so can the generator be moved forward like on the 22' so that I can reinstall the spare tire in it's actual area like the regular Sprinter Van?

Trying to keep the Van in it's short form; ease of opening doors; better parking space, etc!

Do able??

Thank you....

Cheers...
Mein Sprinter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
gte
2008 RS

Default Re: 2010 Sprinter Roadtrek..144"

On my 2008 RS 23 foot version the spare is mid way up on the drivers side and the genny is almost all the way back in the middle. There has been lots of discussion about this elsewhere on this forum.
As an aside we are very happy with the additional space we have in the RS and parking has not been an issue anywhere we have been in 50 k miles

Good luck
gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

I don't think you can move the genny.

Alternatives...don't carry a spare. If you travel mainstream routes, not too bad an idea. Strap the tire under the bed, it does fit. Get rid of the genny, and use a portable, like a Honda Eu, but it won't run the A\C and you need a place to store it, and it's fuel. Or, finally, live with it.

I have been know to remove mine an strap it under the seat when I travel on a ferry if the fry charges more for over length. Other than that, I live with it.
Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
jasper2222

I am living with mine also. Would like to have a spring loaded carrier, but don't want to spend $100's for it. Just learn to kind of pack so that the stuff you need on the drivers side is not something you readily use. I did think the rear weight affected my handling, but I have upgraded shocks to Koni and it is now a non issue to me.
jasper2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
Trekker
Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein Sprinter View Post
Hi Guys/gals..
Am thinking of getting ourselves a 2010 Roadtrek-19'.. Now I don't care too much for the hanging spare tire behind the rear doors. The LP gen has taken up the undercarriage cave of the spare tire..so can the generator be moved forward like on the 22' so that I can reinstall the spare tire in it's actual area like the regular Sprinter Van?

Trying to keep the Van in it's short form; ease of opening doors; better parking space, etc!

Do able??

Thank you....

Cheers...
If it was that easy, Roadtrek would have done it. You hit on the obvious detraction, the spare tire in the rear. I'm sure RT struggled with that problem, and you see the solution. Since you asked, IMHO it's not 'do able'.

Your reasons for the Agile are ease of opening doors and better parking space? The doors on both models are the same. As for parking space, it's not an issue, as others have said. We've put 90k miles on ours all over the U.S. and parking has not been an issue yet. You wouldn't believe some of the places I've squiggled into. There is a lot more space in the interior of the RS that you will put to good use in your travels. This is a big investment that you will have for a long time.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
If it was that easy, Roadtrek would have done it. You hit on the obvious detraction, the spare tire in the rear. I'm sure RT struggled with that problem, and you see the solution. Since you asked, IMHO it's not 'do able'.

Your reasons for the Agile are ease of opening doors and better parking space? The doors on both models are the same. As for parking space, it's not an issue, as others have said. We've put 90k miles on ours all over the U.S. and parking has not been an issue yet. You wouldn't believe some of the places I've squiggled into. There is a lot more space in the interior of the RS that you will put to good use in your travels. This is a big investment that you will have for a long time.
Thank all for chiming in guys n' gals.

As for you Trekker, you seem to have been there, done that, so might I continue asking you for some input for all us to learn regarding the Agile(19'-144"-Short Sprinter RT?

1) Did you build or cove the LP gen as it is exposed to road grime; snow; ice; mud of the Alaska gravel roads.

2) I am currently looking at a 2010 Roadtrek Agile 144" here in up-State NY. The Rear tire is so low that the legal lighted license plate cannot be seen, thus someone drilled and attached a backing plate on the right side of the Van and is unlighted... Can the tire bracket hangar be raised so as to expose the rear license plate?

3) Do you use the Vans furnace source heat while traveling as the Sprinters engine does not produce a lot of waste heat....heating is quite insufficient up here in the winters? Florida guys might not apply. Did you install a secondary front heating source?

4) Back to the rear mounted behind axle LG gen; I'll see what I can do with moving/switching the spare tire/LG stuff when I get home. Am pretty good with mechanicals/mods, etc....IF I buy this Agile today. Will keep you posted.

Thank you again

cheers....
The Following User Says Thank You to Mein Sprinter For This Useful Post:
patty1819 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
BobLLL

The light on in my license plate holder went out. It turned out the wires in the door had come apart. RT did a poor job. Looked like some monkey had used regular pliers to crimp the connections. And used crimp connections that were too big and just tried to double over the stripped part of the wires to make them fat enough to fit the crimps. And we all know that doesn't work.

You can hang the spare on the door, and thus open the door with the tire on it. Pros and cons of that are discussed in a thread somewhere here.

As to the advantage of shorter length, we have camped in a few spots where 3 more feet just wouldn't fit. Sometimes the campground was almost full and we were lucky to fit in, other times they were just nicer spots. It depends on where you camp. Forest Service and National Park campgrounds in the West seem to have more short spots that were probably originally intended for car campers.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Trekker
Trekker

Mein Sprinter,

Haven't modified the generator area at all. Never had a problem with it, but we don't drive in ice and snow, nor any mud.

We use the propane furnace mounted in the mid cabin area when we are sleeping. Provides plenty of heat, even down to the mid thirties. Have not installed any other auxiliary heat sources.

Again, IMHO, making major mods to an already well engineered and fabricated system seems like a huge undertaking, fraught with potential mistakes that are impossible to foresee until it's too far into the remodel. That's why the major manufacturers use sophisticated computer systems to model everything out PRIOR to building. They can see on the screen potential problems and then avoid them, which amateurs like us are not privy to.
edfrompa (04-25-2017)
Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Default She's Home...

Flew into this frigid northern Town of Keeseville-Plattsburg, NY, just 65 miles from Montreal, CN to extract this lonely, lovely baby from a -7 F environment.

Then for 15 hours drove her home to warm southeastern North Carolina where she sits now.

MPG: 1) 19.6; 2) 19.3.... running between 70-75 mph.

Just got her home and will further comment on the run and accessories of the Roadtrek set up.

cheers...
Old 12-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

Congrats! Look carefully for plumbing leaks, under the kitchen sink, and under the closet where the shower connects. These are notorious for loose fittings. Also check the pump area. I moved my pump so I can use the area for storeage. It is lazy on RTs part to use the entire area for the pump, when moving it 6" to the side, plumbing it with braided SS supply tubes in a loop to quiet the pump, freeing up a ton of space.

Keep in touch, and good luck. Care to share what you paid for this rig?

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote