Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts
Default Re: Roadtrek Adventurous first impressions...

Forget the wine and dine,, forget the stupid hats and stickers, the last thing in the world I need is another hat, or coffee cup or some stupid chochkey junk! I will pay for quality, and expect it when I do. Spend your money teaching your sales guys how these things actually work. Spend your time doing some QC/QA. Make sure the plumbing doesn't leak.

The bottom line is any body that pays anywhere near close to MSRP for an RV is getting taken. I have routinely seen these go out the door for less than 75% of MSRP,, and they depreciate pretty quickly, so a well bought used unit can be a bargain.

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
PA Slammer

I couldn't agree more about the quality build and knowledge from the sales. But I still think you should be treated well and perks should be thrown in! KOA membership is $25ish dollars, AAA or a comparable motor club is a few $100. Even a care package of almanacs, travel guides, first aid kit, tool kit, etc... is a cheap way of showing customer appreciation.

Icarus, you may be an old experienced RVer, but others may not be. Buying, operating and caring for a new RV can be quite intimidating for newbies. Make the experience nicer. Here's an idea, schedule a 1000 or 2000 mile checkup to fine tune issues. Train the sales or service to go over it with "again" now that you have a better understanding of it. And hey, when it's in, wash and vacuum it!

Again, I can accept a few things (maybe more in this case). But one thing I can not accept is being treated like you don't matter once they have your money. Well see how Roadtrek does here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
PoppaD55

PA, you're absolutely right regarding customer service, training, etc. How you are treated well after the sale goes a long way to assure you become either a repeat customer or someone else's customer.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your Roadtrek and encourage you to keep us all informed along the way - especially about how the issues are addressed. Like you, I'm a newbie (well, actually a "wannabe") - we started considering a rig about 4 or 5 years ago, looked long and hard at large class A units and were close to taking the plunge - and then life happened. Long story, but our needs have changed significantly so we're looking more for something to tour and seek adventure in, and get us and the family zoo from our place in the northwest down to Phoenix a few times a year.

Anyway, thanks again for your posts - keep it up! Best of luck and enjoyment in your travels.
PoppaD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
icarus

PA, not really a long time RVer, but I know what I constantly hear. You are absolutely right that theses guys could learn a lot abut customer service,and long term service. I have yet to find any body reasonably well trained or competent to deal with the Rv service side. They like to talk about "factory trained techs" etc but the stories I hear (an the stuff people bring me to fix) is legion). I am not a "trained tech" nor do I engage in this as a business, I just help friends with lots of problems,, RVs and other wise. I had one guy be told he needed a new control board for his genny because it would surge. I suggested he bring it out, and I would have a look, since I know a little something about gennies. A quick look, and a quick look on then, and I discovered it was the atmospheric propane vent at the genny, clogged with dust. All told, a 2 second, no cost fix! It turns out that this is quite common on LP gennies, and yet the "trained tech" didn't have a clue.

The other classic is fridge problems, and techs have no idea about absorption fridges. dirt in the burner and running out of level is the single most common issue, and yet I keep hearing people being charged for new boards, new ignightors etc. (as an aside, I run a remote bush camp with a number of Dometic fridges, and have for years. In all those years, with over 400 fridge years, I have replaced one igniter, and one control board in total. I have also had two coolant unit failures)

My point is, I am not sure if these guys are driven by greed or incompetence, but I'm willing to suggest that the margins on sales is pretty thin, so that service must be made to a profit center. They do this by hiring cheap (read inexperienced ) help and or they engage in out right fraud.

I too would like to see better quality in both sales and service, especially some QA before they go off the lot,, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You hve come to the right place for info on your vehicle, and probably for the RT as well. My limited RV forum experience has been a bit limited due to lots of misinformation,, particularly around batteries, charger etc!

Good luck, and keep in touch,

Icarus

Last edited by icarus; 08-04-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
mowog

Welcome:

The electric cord is an acquired skill. On ours the red LED usually inserts easily at 9:00 position. Yours may be different, but it provides a reference point. Mine inserts and turns about an eight of a turn. This is much better than the attached cords on the other RTs. It's better in theory to plug the cord into the van first and then plug in the shore power end. Any arching would be on the more robust end of the cord.

Our shower needed a thicker washer at the sink to solve the problem, but it's a piece of crap anyway and the plastic fitting at the sink will eventually crack.. I replaced ours with a Camco RV/Marine unit from Amazon (dealer could have it) for $20 or so. All metal with a slinky hose that doesn't have the annoying memory of the plastic hose. One of the best and easiest modification we did. I stuck the camco suction mount on the wall above the sink and loop the shower hose over it.

Yes the generator is noisy.

The only noise from the inverter/charger should be the fan, that only should run when charging the battery under shore or generator power. It should stop when the charge is complete.

The fridge will usually keep cold things cold, but will not easily chill a fridge full of warm items. We pre chill on AC (like most probably) and chill or even freeze beverages. We bought a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer and but the "outdoor" part in the fridge to monitor it. As aways mentioned it does best on propane, then AC, lastly DC. You fridge should have fans already installed that you hear once on awhile, so you don't need to worry over the snyder fan threads.

Good Luck and have fun

Bob Skillman
Ellicott City, MD
2011 RS
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
PeteInLongBeach

I've been looking at various Sprinter B-vans, and can echo what everyone is saying. Various new Roadtreks I've seen at dealers and shows are hit & miss with assembly quality. Some seem OK. But, the worst I've seen was a new Ideal where laminate was peeling off, cabinet doors were loose and/or misaligned, catches not working, gouges and a hole in the flooring, various upholstery issues, and countless other obvious flaws. And, it was filthy inside and out. I just couldn't believe it was on the lot and open for inspection.

On the other end of the quality (and price) spectrum are the AirStream vans. Beautiful materials and assembly quality. The new ones I've seen literally look like they were built in the Mercedes factory.

Unfortunately, I want the 19' van, and Roadtrek is the only builder currently upfitting that model, so at this point I'm pretty much stuck with the Agile. I just hope I can find one of the "good ones"...
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
icarus

Look at the Pleasureway. I think they build one on the short chassis.
The floor plan is basically mirrored image of the Agile.

Icarus
Old 08-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
gte
2008 RS

When we bought our 2008 RS new I found at least a dozen broken or missing items which the dealer ordered for me and I installed. During the short walk through with the tech I was told to never use the inverter and he wished they had never put the inverter in the unit. I have since discovered that you can use the inverter if you manage the usage carefully and it is a nice feature to have in the unit. Not certain where the tech was coming from.

After 40K miles and about 150 nights in the RS I realize how much was not talked about in the walk through. I have had a few minor requests I have made to RT and they have been helpful. However, I have one major issue with the UVW of the unit as listed on the door tag which they have not been wiling to address. Supposedly I can carry 716 lbs of cargo in addition to water, propane and three people. My measurements do not agree and so far this has not been resolved.

When we bought the RS I was considering the Pleasure Way on the 3500 chassis, but the capacity of the RS as advertised seemed sufficient for our needs.
gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
PeteInLongBeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Look at the Pleasureway. I think they build one on the short chassis.
The floor plan is basically mirrored image of the Agile.
Yeah, I was hoping, since Pleasureway has much better quality. But, they discontinued the Ascent. The other issue for me would be the bed - shorter than the Roadtrek bed; too short for me.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
kondelou

Maybe this is a good place to vent about little and big things that erk us about the RT quality and so I think I'll just add mine in here for good measure.

I have a 2011 SS Agile with the moss green paint. It is a color that RT applies themselves to the vehicle and I must say they come close to doing a pretty good job but in the end not as good as factory paint. Mine was white from Mercedes and now it's green. My biggest gripe is that during prep they sanded the edges of the windows along with the body and now my windows have swirl marks on them You got to wonder what the prep guys were thinking ,or not thinking. Otherwise like most of you, I love my RT
Kondelou
kondelou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kondelou For This Useful Post:
Bequia (09-19-2012)