Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 07-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts
Default Re: 2013 = new trans & torque converter!

The advantge of AAA/CAA is that it's service is available continent wide with one simple call. It may be a bit more pricey but the service is examplary. We hit a deer in far northern MN last year, and without a question they towed us 400 miles to MSP to the Fl dealer for $25k in repairs. My comp insurance covered the rest over 200 since it had to go to the "nearest acceptable facility". I know nothing about coach net.

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
PA Slammer

I think they do. As well I think my insurance Progressive covers some... This is all a brand new adventure for me and I'm trying to figure things out right now.

I just wish it wasn't starting out like this.

Dealer says maybe ready Thu evening or Fri morning... we leave Fri evening... Still second guessing to take it or not. I'd hate to spend the week dealing with problems.... and I bought new why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
BobLLL

Mercedes has a 24 hour toll free number for road service, and towing is covered by warranty. Seems to me this is the best number to call for mechanical breakdown. For flat tires, etc, Mercedes will send a truck, but you pay. My insurance company will cover reimbursement of those expenses for a premium about $18 per year. Buying AAA, Coachnet, Good Sam, etc, seems redundant until the Mercedes warranty runs out.

From http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/owners/parts-and-services:
"Roadside Assistance
Ideally, your potential in a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter should be unstoppable. If you happen to experience an unexpected stop along the way, Mercedes-Benz 24-Hour Roadside Assistance can provide the services to get you moving again. Give us a call and Mercedes-Benz personnel will be dispatched to your location to provide services like replacing a flat tire, jumpstarting a dead battery, or providing fuel if you happen to run out.15

An authorized dealer within an approximate 30-mile radius will provide roadside assistance to all customers. And, if a roadside repair is unable to be made, we can arrange to have your Sprinter towed to the nearest authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership at no charge for eligible Mercedes-Benz Sprinters.16

Contact 24-Hour Roadside Assistance at 877-762-8267.

15 Sign and Drive services (flat-tire change, battery jumpstart, and re-fueling) will be performed at customer's expense.

16 Towing services are performed at no charge for Mercedes-Benz Sprinters covered under the warranty."
BobLLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
PA Slammer

Thank you very much for the info!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
ternst

<<An authorized dealer within an approximate 30-mile radius will provide roadside assistance to all customers.>>

What happens if there is no authorized dealer within 30 miles, which would be most of the United States?
ternst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
BobLLL

Yeah, that is strange wording. Maybe it is wishful thinking from the marketing dept that they would have a dealer within 30 miles of anywhere. A goal, rather than a promise, that they will have service provider (a contract tower) within 30 miles? In any event, there is a report elsewhere on this forum of a sprinter being towed 500+ miles across British Columbia to the nearest dealer, at MB expense. Also a post with written confirmation from MB that towing is covered anywhere in US or Canada. Still, might be prudent to call and confirm this before a long trip.
BobLLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
PA Slammer

I ask Mercedes that question today as we were wrapping up the new transmission and torque converter, they said if I have any issues on the road give him a call first. I asked if they would take care of a tow, hotel or rental. He said just to call. It has to be handled on a case by case basis. To be honest he sounded quite sure everything would be handled. And with the service I have received so far, I no reason to believe otherwise. Mercedes has won me over with their service. Reliability... verdict is still out. :D

Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
ternst

Hope you got everything worked out and running well and you have a terrific trip with no further issues! My 2013 RS is scheduled to arrive at the dealer in about a week, and I will be taking a long trip out west before I ever get home with it (my dealer in Tennessee is 12 hours away from me, so I am just going to detour to Wyoming instead of coming home to Arkansas right away). I'm hopeful your tranny was the only bad one, ha, ha! Good luck, and enjoy....
ternst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,940 Times in 5,789 Posts

If you read the (many year) past history of AAA-related threads, you'll find that the RV (and just Sprinter) coverage varies depending upon your "local" "club".
Some do offer Sprinter towing, some (most?) do not. And what/how they cover also varies.
(what you're buying (by joining) is *insurance*... and the policies and coverage vary on a state-by-state basis)
The other (Camping World, Coach Net, etc) insurance plans *are* targeted at RVs.. .but that includes the monster Class A as well as your smaller vehicle (which still requires a Class C tow truck.. and right there you're above and beyond many local AAA hooks).. so the annual price is higher than AAA may be.

Finally/unfortunately these *are* new MB vehicles... you are not driving "Detroit Iron" with parts and service on every corner.

Your early torque converter failure is very rare (i can't remember another one appearing here in the forum)... I'd assume some one-off failure of quality control back at the factory (such as a dropped and forgotten washer into the works...). With luck this will be the only fault you'll experience within the next 200,000 miles of operation.

Murphy's Law *should* have caused the check engine light to come on at the tippy end of Cape Cod...

Since you're in PA, you're also within (relatively) easy access to Dr Andy Bittenbinder ... an invaluable consulting engineer with scads of Sprinter diagnostic/maintenance/improvement experience.

But the Sprinter does have a bumper-to-bumper warranty (with towing) for the first year (at least...i'm working from memory of my 2005's).
That's why you bought new.
But, realistically, you still do need to plan on occasional down-time (if it doesn't go down, then you've given yourself a "Free Day" on any particular trip).
(my 120k-mile-old Nissan-caused "extra day" in Clinton British Columbia during Labor Day weekend was unplanned, and surprisingly pleasant)

As you saw with your experience, the van was still *drivable*, even with the Check Engine (and Tranny?) light (CEL) on... the Sprinter will take additional action (such as restricting you to only-2nd-gear (and reverse)) if it thinks things are worse, and in some cases won't run. You were correct to take it to a dealer (and now you know: if it's involving the *running* of the Sprinter, head to MB or a Sprinter-servicing Freightliner dealer). After a diagnostic readout you can make a more informed decision of "stop here for service" or "it'll make it home" (or to a more scenic dealer).

good luck
--dick (CEL at 300 miles from new.. the $16 Intake Air Temp sensor went bad... on the day before Xmas)
((the IAT sensor died twice more.. once per year.. but that's been *it* in terms of demand-maintenance in 6+ years))
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 07-27-2012 at 06:39 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
PA Slammer

Well made it to the Cape safe and sound. Got about 18mpg. Thought it would be a bit more. Had my wife, my three boys (8, 5 & 2) and their friend (8) with a two bike bikerack and about maybe 750lbs of stuff. Drove around 65-70 mph.

The fridge in battery mode took awhile to cool down. Is that normal? Should you travel with it gas mode?

Gotta figure out where and how to dump the sewage. Just go to a campground and asked them if we can dump there? I'm guessing for a small fee? Tank says half full, just wait until full? Should I put anything in there? Came with some type of toilet tabs and I heard to use dishwashing detergent??? Had a bit of smell to be honest.

Can the generator be used while on the road? Does the microwave work on DC?

The little drawer under the rangetop has a false front between drawer and range which pulls out when you pull drawer out.

My model has a small board that fits across side ottomans to make the bed. My board leaves a fairly big gap either at the end or the center depending where you slide the board. Shouldn't the board be full length? I thought I also saw one where the table was used to span the space. My table is not wide enough.

Couldn't figure out how to get volume to work on TV. But could get volume on dvd. But had all speakers in coach and only wanted back speakers for the kids.

Have a Clarion nav system. A little touchy touch screen. Couldn't figure out how to dim it at night. Does the dvd repeat the picture up front?

No fog lights sucks. Ran into a lot of fog and may have yo do the install I saw here on the forum.

Driver's side left arm rest fell off. Simply pushed it back on. Seems to be holding.

But the transmission and torque converter seemed fine.

So much to learn! Had it not broke down the first day i would've been able to learn this stuff in my backyard "camping". :)

Lastly, dealer said he was going to have leaf-table and front single beds shipped to me direct from Roadtrek by the time I left yesterday... didn't make it.

So far I'm super excited about my new toy, but still a bit let down for a $100,000 purchase, you know. A lot of lows, but a fair amount of highs as well. Verdict is still out.