Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
PA Slammer

Default 2013 = new trans & torque converter!

First time post and I hate that it has to be this... We just bought a 2013 Mercedes Roadtrek RS Adventurous. It had around 400 miles on it (miles it took to deliver to Ohio). We drove it home to PA and put another 100 miles or so on it. As I was driving it up my driveway the check engine light came on... so I turned around and took it directly to the local Mercedes dealer. They were super nice and helpful and said they would deliver it to a Freightliner dealer the next day because they didn't have the software to diagnose the problem. Come to find out it needed a new transmission and torque converter!

Seriously?

I called Roadtrek, they simply said to call Mercedes. Not even a phone number to offer, simply "call Mercedes". Now I know it's not their platform, but I'm not too happy with their customer service. At least have an idea of where I can take it, a phone number, some concern, something... But I got nothing.

Called Mercedes and they were super helpful and concerned. But still, WTF? So it's at the shop. I took it in last Wednesday and they were supposed to get the new transmission and torque converter today.

We're supposed to go on our first family trip this Friday. Haven't had a chance to even check it out and play with everything. Not sure what everything even does... It's our first RV.

Anyone else heard of issues like this?
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,819 Posts
Default Re: 2013 = new trans & torque converter!

Sounds like you are being taken care of quite well!

Enjoy your new RV & have a safe trip!!
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
glas1700

Were there any driveability symptoms, either before or after the check engine light came on?
97 Geo Tracker 4WD toad
glas1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
PA Slammer

Nope! Just the light. I figured it was brand new, I've never owned a diesel and I'm heading on a family trip in a week... so just take it in. You know get the dealer to reset some nuisance fault. Boy was I wrong.

Mercedes says it's not the shop taking advantage of me, as it is a warranty issue and they have to ship the broken parts back for inspection. Besides they looked pretty busy and really didn't seem to want to do it, although they were nice and seemed to understand my rush to get it done before our trip.

I have my fingers crossed that it is ready tomorrow and that I can get it back to go over things a little. However, I am concerned to drive it from Pittsburgh to Cape Cod and back right after getting out of the shop.

What road side assistance do you guys use, just in case. AAA? Should I just get on the phone with Mercedes if something goes wrong again? Should I just leave it home until I've had a chance to drive it a bit. Hate to be afraid to take a new RV on a road trip! You know?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

I have AAA platinum RV that gives 200 miles of towing. Pretty cheap insurance. The reason I went with the 200 mile package is we routinely travel very sparsely populated area in Northen Canada where 200 miles is nothing! Driving the northern tier of the US often puts us easily 200 miles from a FL or MB Sprinter dealer.

I am sorry to say, I am not surprised with RT's attitude. It is pretty sad that they don't take a better interest in brand new customers! My one piece of advice is,, pay particular attention for plumbing leaks on a new RT. Leaks in the supply me to to the kitchen sink, and in the shower valve are pretty common, and they can leak for a long time before they show up. Take a minute every now and again and feel around und the kitchen sink for leaks, and behind the shower (in the plastic cover above the bed). If it leaks enough, it will drip othe bed, but a small leak will land under the shower, swelling the particle board under the vinyl. Why they use vinyl and particle board is beyond me!

Good luck with trans, it sounds like MB is doing the right thing.

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
PA Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I have AAA platinum RV that gives 200 miles of towing. Pretty cheap insurance. The reason I went with the 200 mile package is we routinely travel very sparsely populated area in Northen Canada where 200 miles is nothing! Driving the northern tier of the US often puts us easily 200 miles from a FL or MB Sprinter dealer.

I am sorry to say, I am not surprised with RT's attitude. It is pretty sad that they don't take a better interest in brand new customers! My one piece of advice is,, pay particular attention for plumbing leaks on a new RT. Leaks in the supply me to to the kitchen sink, and in the shower valve are pretty common, and they can leak for a long time before they show up. Take a minute every now and again and feel around und the kitchen sink for leaks, and behind the shower (in the plastic cover above the bed). If it leaks enough, it will drip othe bed, but a small leak will land under the shower, swelling the particle board under the vinyl. Why they use vinyl and particle board is beyond me!

Good luck with trans, it sounds like MB is doing the right thing.

Icarus
"platinum rv" or premier rv? Just looking now at AAA and trying to decide.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

I don't remember off hand, which it is called, but it is the one with the best towing (longest distance)

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
photoadjuster

Forget AAA, since it is a RV motorhome get Coach-Net. When you call them you are talking to a very knowledgable RV tech. If you need a tow, they sent someone who can tow it without tearing the sewer tanks off or they send someone out to fix it, but not both. $ 89 per year covers all your owned vehicles plus any vehicle you are riding in.

You must own an RV to get Coach-Net.

Mike Stephenson
2004 Forest River M B Cruiser
Lubbock, Texas
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
PA Slammer

AAA said it would take 10 days to process an RV membership! Plus it is a bit more pricey. Seems coach net might be a little more RV oriented. It also includes trailers.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
BobLLL

Doesn't the Mercedes warranty cover road service for engine and drive train problems?
BobLLL is offline   Reply With Quote