Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Free Spirit

Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
jjrubino

Default Checking Generator Oil/Changing Oil

My wife and I just bought a 2006 LTFS. We love it. The generator only had 16 hours on it, but ran when we tested it. However, I cannot find where to check the oil, which will be necessary to fill the oil when I change it. I'm concerned because it has seven year old oil in it and I do not want to run it again without an oil change. Any help would be appreciated. I have all the manuals, but they do not tell you how to get access to check the oil and add oil.
jjrubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
BaywoodBill
pre-Yuppiedom

Default Re: Checking Generator Oil/Changing Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrubino View Post
My wife and I just bought a 2006 LTFS. We love it. The generator only had 16 hours on it, but ran when we tested it. However, I cannot find where to check the oil, which will be necessary to fill the oil when I change it. I'm concerned because it has seven year old oil in it and I do not want to run it again without an oil change. Any help would be appreciated. I have all the manuals, but they do not tell you how to get access to check the oil and add oil.
Good luck jj. If you aren't a thinish sort of person, you will need to get the van (safely) on some sort of blocks. I've used the "lego type" levelers.
Anyway, on the read side of the generator there is a metal cover. You have to remove a screw with a wing-type head. Then you put your two thumbs in some catches, lift, and remove the cover. There is precious little room to add oil. Maybe you could get down there with a digital camera and take a couple of photos so you can study the layout in a more comfortable position that laying on your back with your nose too close to everything.

2005 2500 cargo, long, tall
BaywoodBill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BaywoodBill For This Useful Post:
jjrubino (05-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
rimjaine

Default Re: Checking Generator Oil/Changing Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrubino View Post
I know this is a little late, but I have a LTV Free Spirit B210, I've changed oil in the Auxiliary Generator a couple of times, very messy job, this time I'm going to use the Harbor Freight Gear oil transfer pump to make it easier since access is very limited & hard to get at, poor lighting conditions make it worse, anyway the pump pumps oil at the rate of 1 ounce per pump stroke so it should be full after 19 or 20 strokes, check to be sure with the dipstick plug before assuming you're done. Wish me luck, the last time I did an oil change without the use of a pump I got more oil on the ground than in the crankcase.
Later, Rimjaine
rimjaine is offline   Reply With Quote