Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
slowstride

Default Re: Roadtrek Electric step "disarm" Switch?

Greetings Icarus

For the non-electrically inclined, could you please describe, in a bit more detail, how you went about the wiring work under the van? I get the bit about feeding the wires down the pillar, but how does one physically go about wiring a switch in 'parallel'? There is an obvious green wire with an electric step tag on it.....

slowstride
slowstride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

In simple terms, look at it this way.

If you pull the switch from the door post, (It just pulls out, sort of tension/caulked in place) you will notice that there are two wires. This switch sends a trigger signal to the step controller located at the back of the step. The position of the switch (open or closed) as it only sends the signal, and the controller decides what to do. So if you clip simply wire another switch, one leg on each of these wires you will mimic what the door switch does. So when the door is closed, and your extra switch is in the disarm position, opening or closing the door (and activating the door switch) will have no net effect. On the other hand, if you have your extra switch in the "armed position" the door switch will react normally.

In simple schematic, a switch in series is one switch wire after another such that both have to be open (or closed) to get the desired reaction. Wiring in parallel allows either switch to operate normally as long as the first switch is in the desired position. It is simple circuit to draw, but I don't know how to post a drawing.

It is important to remember that both of these switches control a current path to ground, so there is little danger is mis-wiring them since the only result will be to effectively close the switch.

Shout if you have other questions and I will attempt to clarify my response.

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icarus For This Useful Post:
slowstride (02-17-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,945 Times in 5,793 Posts

I must admit, i'm confused by your descriptions.
Quote:
By adding the switch in parallel, you mimic what ever action the door switch "sees" and with the add on switch in the off position the step won't open when you open the door, (which was the goal) but will retract if the key is turned on.
If the new switch is open (off), then, if it's in parallel, the step should operate as if it weren't there at all.
If the new switch is closed ("on"), then it should override the step-sensor at all times.

Here's a series/parallel circuit diagram:
StepSwitches.gif

If the switches are wired in series, then an Open ("off") new switch would prevent the controller from seeing whatever the step-sensor is trying to signal.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 02-16-2011 at 11:02 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
david klair (02-19-2011), icarus (02-16-2011), slowstride (02-17-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
icarus

Dick,

I wish I knew how to do that!

That is the circuit perfectly illustrated.

Icarus
Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Quote:
I wish I knew how to do that!
I drew the image in Paint, and saved it as a .gif
Then i started my reply to your note, and clicked "Go Advanced" below the text-entry box.
Then i clicked the paperclip icon in the upper toolbar.
That brought up the find-the-file dialog window (attachment manager)
... first i told it where the image file was, then clicked Upload.
Then i returned to the message window, and clicked where i wanted the image to appear in the text.
Then i clicked the little "down arrow" next to the above paperclip icon.
That produced a list with "manage attachments" and the file's name as the (in this case) two choices.
I clicked the file's name, and the Forum software inserted the appropriate "magic text" in my message where i'd clicked.

At the end of all the editing, click "Submit Reply" to actually submit the message.

That's how.
have fun
--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 02-17-2011 at 01:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Graphite Dave (06-03-2011), icarus (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #16
icarus

You assume a much greater computer prowessness than I actually have! I run a MAC so I don't have paint, but I'm sure there is a MAC equivalent. Thanks,, I'll give it a shot as I am often asked to post simple wiring diagrams on the solar forum.

Icarus
Old 02-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Quote:
I run a MAC so I don't have paint,
Yes, Macs have been coming with less and less helpful pre-installed software over the years.
If you have Microsoft Office, it includes a drawing tool.
At worst, you could draw it on paper and attach it as a photo....

good luck
--dick (who hasn't turned his Mac on yet this year...)

p.s. http://tinyurl.com/4nahxdl
(it's true, it's true...)
p.p.s. i wish one could insert a youtube link without the Forum loading in the embedded image...
i'd just like the link, thank you...

Last edited by autostaretx; 02-17-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
slowstride

Alright I squeezed under our Roadtrek and got back to the electric step.

There is quite a lot of spray foam around the place, however I can see a number of wires:

one pair are red and yellow
one set are white, white/red and ?
there is also a green wire

I probably need to jack the van up and get into it a bit more, however if any of these wire colors sound familiar then that would be a place for me to start

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
icarus

First, drive the right side of the van up on a number of 2X6's so you can get a bit more room under the right side. Then, gently pry out the mag switch, located on the door post just above the step. It will have a pair of grey wires. After than, there is no telling what color they are. Mine were grey all the way, but another one I worked on had spliced red wires installed by who knows who!

While lying under the van, wiggle the switch wires, stick you hand up the hole that forms the door post and you should be able to see/feel which ones are the switch wire. In any event, if you just pull the switch, you might be able to pull a pair of switch legs up through the switch hole, make your first splice there, then fish the wires up to the suggested add on switch location in the plug just above, and inside the van. Pry out that plug, and you will find a hole with a welded nut. If you buy a switch with rear mount threads, you can drill out the nut, fish the wires up to that hole, and then install the switch using that hole.

Wire according to Dick's diagram in the previous post. Shout if you have other questions,

Icarus
The Following User Says Thank You to icarus For This Useful Post:
slowstride (02-20-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #20
slowstride

Default Done

I got under the van yesterday, followed instructions kindly posted by Icarus and success!

Found two gray wires, one to earth, installed a switch between the two gray wires, running wires up, inside the van to where I have positioned the switch.

The switch I have installed now does what I imagined the on/off switch, which Roadtrek installed, would do, whew...

Now I will patch the small hole in the insulating foam with a can of spray foam insulation

No more worries about mangling my electric step on some unseen obstacle

Thanks Icarus