Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 AM   #11
WillieJ
2013 3500 DRW, Airstream

Default Re: Vehicle type of converted Sprinter van in WA?

Just thinking out loud here, but if you buy a cargo van and convert it yourself, or hire a third party to convert it (Outside Vans, Sportsmobile, etc.) DOL won't have a clue that it is a conversion unless you tell them. Also, it is possible that the van type, cargo vs. passenger, is coded in the VIN and that is how DOL arrives at the classification on the title and registration.

Also, it seems that independent license agents can be more "helpful" than going to the County Auditor's office to do your vehicle licensing. That was my experience when transferring a private sale motorcycle which was for a fair market value that was a few thousand less than the official DOL value. The agent let me use the NADA value, which is what I actually bought the motorcycle for.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #12
codywater

Any idea how to get the scale weight updated after additions are made? A pre-conversion van would be less than the 6000lb cutoff, however, post-conversion might push over that and thus become exempt from RTA. There is a fine line between the added weight to a cargo van and the designation of a motor home, which are subject to RTA regardless of scale weight.
codywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:38 AM   #13
clumsyninja

Has anyone done this for their van yet? Im due to update my tabs here and really dont like the $500 reg fee Im looking at. I could definitely get the van to a scale and have it over 6000lbs, but I have no idea how to get the scale weight updated according to the DMV.
clumsyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
JIB

I waiting on delivery of a 2019 VS30, and very happy I live a half mile out of the TRA/ST3 assessment zone.

My insurance guy said license as a plain van for now and we will look for RV or agreed value once the build has progressed. From what I can tell, there is no advantage to the RV designation.

jack
JIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #15
elemental

I'm in WA but not the Seattle area. My 2017 Crew van has 'Body Style' - Passenger Van, with 'Scale Weight' = 6,096, and 'Primary vehicle use type' = Passenger Vehicle. My 2019 registration renewal cost breakdown is as follows:
  • Registration Filing - $3.00
  • License Plate Technology - $0.25
  • Dept. of Licensing Service - $0.50
  • Transportation Benefit Dist. - $20.00 (local city tax to pay for road maintenance)
  • Vehicle Weight - $65.00
  • Registration License - $30.00
  • Registration Service Fee - $6.00
Total cost for one year: $123.75

I'm glad I'm not being dinged on my vehicle registration to pay for the construction of an alternative mode of transportation that I would rarely, if ever, use. I would not gripe about paying for such in my regular taxes to the general fund that are shared across the entire tax base of the area served by the alternative mode of transportation.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #16
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,921 Times in 5,777 Posts

Let's see... (2005 passenger van, 118" wheelbase, original price $33.2k)
Registration Filing - $3.00
License Plate Technology - $0.25
Dept. of Licensing Service - $0.50
Transportation Benefit Dist. - $80.00 (bigger potholes?)
Vehicle Weight - $45.00 (4901 pounds)
Registration License - $30.00
Registration Service Fee - $5.00 <-- doesn't happen if you mail the forms and check to the State
((the local license bureaus are private vendors))

RTA Excise Tax: $37.00

Total: 200.75 (plus $5 voluntary State Park donation)

--dick (in Seattle)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 09-18-2019 at 08:08 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #17
JIB

Not a fair comparison Dick. You own a 2005 and considered seriously depreciated for tax purposes. Look up the numbers for a 2019 and you will know why I am so happy to be out of the RTA zone.

What is hard for people to accept about this tax is (example) for Tacoma dwellers, they are getting hit with the same large tax as the Seattle folks, but the light rail won't be there for decades.

Jack
p.s. thanks for supporting the parks, which we shouldn't have to do on our vehicle tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
Let's see... (2005 passenger van, 118" wheelbase, original price $33.2k)
Registration Filing - $3.00
License Plate Technology - $0.25
Dept. of Licensing Service - $0.50
Transportation Benefit Dist. - $80.00 (bigger potholes?)
Vehicle Weight - $45.00 (4901 pounds)
Registration License - $30.00
Registration Service Fee - $5.00 <-- doesn't happen if you mail the forms and check to the State
((the local license bureaus are private vendors))

RTA Excise Tax: $37.00

Total: 200.75 (plus $5 voluntary State Park donation)

--dick (in Seattle)
JIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #18
elemental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIB View Post
p.s. thanks for supporting the parks, which we shouldn't have to do on our vehicle tabs.
I remove the voluntary park contribution from my vehicle registration before I renew it; I have one "state parks" license plate that funds the parks, and between my wife and I and three+ vehicles we generally end up buying 1 or 2 "Discover Passes" each year at $30 apiece that also fund the parks.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #19
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,921 Times in 5,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIB View Post
Not a fair comparison Dick. You own a 2005 and considered seriously depreciated for tax purposes. Look up the numbers for a 2019 and you will know why I am so happy to be out of the RTA zone.
I was merely providing a data point (i wasn't trying to show yet another way T1Ns were "better" )
Quote:
What is hard for people to accept about this tax is (example) for Tacoma dwellers, they are getting hit with the same large tax as the Seattle folks, but the light rail won't be there for decades.
Money in the till now lowers the borrowing that will incur interest later.
Quote:
Yup, we have a whacko state that stays mired in the idea of regressive taxes.
We don't have to pay for parks on the tabs, it was just presented there as an easy reaches-almost-everybody (??including boat owners??). Since i also do Discover Pass(es at times), it's merely a $5 uptick to that fee.
At least our state campgrounds have powered sites ... unlike those i've visited/considered in California

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #20
Sinorm

I re-titled my Sprinter as a motorhome when I bought it, the process was easy enough. I did have to provide them with a certified weight of the vehicle, it turns out the cement/gravel yards have certified scales and can provide you a print out for ~$20.

Here is the full breakdown for my 2008 Sprinter, total is $261 and I live in Seattle:

Filing Registration Filing $3.00
Registration Dept. of Licensing Service $0.50
License Plate Technology $0.25
Abandoned RV Disposal $6.00
Transportation Benefit Dist. $80.00
RV Sanitary Disposal $3.00
Vehicle Weight - Motorhome $75.00
Registration License $30.00
Service Registration Service Fee $5.00
Tax RTA Excise Tax $59.00 Fee

Total: $261 75
Sinorm is offline   Reply With Quote