Daimler hurt by production delays at Mercedes

sailquik

Wyuna,
You wrote: "we are lucky that the whole van is assembled and shipped whole from Germany."
Are you sure that the AUX and NZ vans are assembled in Germany?
It was my understanding they are assembled in Argentina, then shipped to AUS/NZ.
Passenger/Crew vans that go on Ro/Ro carriers.......maybe Germany.
Std. Cargo vans......not so much.
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The VIN contains the country of assembly

The US was receiving Argentinian builds a couple of years ago

--dick

Last edited:
Drum roll... 170ex cargo we ordered in March was “produced and ready to ship as of May 23rd”. Gonna hurt seeing 2020’s on the lot while sitting here waiting.

rvator

Sorry to say.. stand by for more disappointment .... We ordered ours in December, it was produced the end of March... sat on the dock in Germany for over 3 months... status always showed "Shipped"... finally took delivery the first of August....2019 Cargo 170.

cacaw

In case anyone is interested, here's the timeline on the purchase of our 2019 144 Passenger

3/21/19 Started searching
5/16 Found in San Jose ad, Already completed construction and invoiced to the dealer
5/21 Paid $1,000 Deposit

6/21 Mercedes Status Report:
4/27 VPC Surveyed
4/27 VPC Delayed
4/30 Factory Invoiced
5/15 PO Updated
5/23 Retailer Traded
5/23 SCI Set to Client
5/23 Priority Set to 1
5/31 VPC Ready
5/31 Whsl Pending

7/22 Delivery notice from dealer
7/23 Picked it up

Stopped by local dealer on Sunday. There were 4 just delivered Sprinters, The windshields were marked "Released". There was so much long term thick accumulated dirt the truck driver used the wipers to load-unload. Local dealer is one of the top 50 dealers, but first time to see 4 Sprinters in one week. 3 of them were 4cylinders.....
Saturday I saw 3 Amazon Sprinters on a truck westbound I-20.
Friday leaving the office saw 3 semi's loaded with GLS's getting onto I-65.
Maybe Mercedes finally moving vehicles?
Or just pure coincidence.

JIB

Maybe Mercedes finally moving vehicles?
Or just pure coincidence.
My dealer thought they would start shipping vans by truck, instead of waiting for trains, to expedite getting the logjam of vans at SC cleared out. Hopefully what you are seeing is the beginning of this!!!

Jack, waiting in WA

lilypad

Thank you for all the useful tips from this forum. I am Vancouver Canada waiting for my 144 4x4 crew van. Production was to start in October 2019. ETA Jan 2020. Does any know if Canadian sprinters are manufactured in North Charleston or Germany?

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Thank you for all the useful tips from this forum. I am Vancouver Canada waiting for my 144 4x4 crew van. Production was to start in October 2019. ETA Jan 2020. Does any know if Canadian sprinters are manufactured in North Charleston or Germany?
Could probably come from either source. Your dealer might be able to get info on production source.

drbutton

I have my Sprinter PNS (Produced Not Shipped) for three months now. Every month they give me a new date a month out. I'm guessing it is because of the LED lights. I'm only guessing because they are not giving me any information. :(
I had the same issue and timeline. It finally came this month. Did you get yours yet?

sanomechanic

Nope. I still don't have mine. No date or any other information from Daimler. The frustration level is very high.
Have had my order placed since February and confirmed production status with build sheet/order number since March 1. VIN # issued July set to release Sept 2nd then van got held up for what ever reason. Can not get any information on what is holding van up. Thousands of vans have been produced / shipped and delivered since.

This is the customer appreciation MBVANS shows for having faith in their product and being one of the first buyers.Very poor customer care.

At the very least the customer should be told what is the problem with their van so we can make other arrangements if needed. Real customer appreciation is to run the build through the current assembly process since they seem to have the past issues resolved at the assembly plant.

Last edited:

drbutton

I asked my dealer if I could go to the lot in SC where the van was sitting, waiting. He said that Daimler would not allow that. What can you do? Sorry to hear it guys...:frown:
Keep us posted. I feel mine was worth the wait.

sanomechanic

Was starting to think they didn’t exist. Then it was delivered to dealer with a “rolled gasket” on the fuel tank and missing wheel well covers. Took delivery today. Been along 11 months since we test drove vans. Ours is a basic build 170ext.
Stoked you got your van. Still no word on mine. Dealer can not get any information other than 11/30 estimated release date

sailquik

Still waiting for my VS30.
Ordered 12/23/2018.
Assembled 7/30/2019
Produced but not shipped since July 30th.
Got the VIN # but MBVans, MB USA Customer Service, my fairly large dealer (they sell alot of Sprinters) can tell
me nothing.
The dealer has been promised it will ship by Dec. 30th, but I'll believe it when they tell me it's off the truck and
ready to go into dealer prep.
Waiting MORE than a year.......yep, MBVANS needs to get their customer service/customer appreciation act
together!
Their "Focus on Fleets" will lose them unrecoverable market share and might put the entire USA Sprinter Assembly
idea in serious jeopardy.
Roger

Last edited:

sanomechanic

Ordered 12/23/2018.
Assembled 7/30/2019
Hey Roger My rig was also assembled 7/30 VIN #WD4FF0CD7KT009468 Was initially dated for release 9/2. A week past that date MBVANS changed the date to 11/30
Was assured 4 weeks ago by the regional manager my van would be released by 11/30. Have tried several times this week to get a response on if the van will actually be released . Can not get any information, truth or cooperation.

I have since ordered another van for 1st decade December production in Germany. It is clear the one I ordered fro Charleston has serious problems that keeps it from being completed and released. Maybe this is a message that getting one of these new vans will be a total lemon.
MB's poor customer appreciation has diminished all my stoke on getting a new van.

Mitch

Last edited:
Ordered 12/23/2018.
Assembled 7/30/2019
Got the VIN # but MBVans, MB USA Customer Service, my fairly large dealer (they sell alot of Sprinters) can tell
me nothing.
The dealer has been promised it will ship by Dec. 30th, but I'll believe it when they tell me it's off the truck and
ready to go into dealer prep.
Waiting MORE than a year.......yep, MBVANS needs to get their customer service/customer appreciation act
together!
Their "Focus on Fleets" will lose them unrecoverable market share and might put the entire USA Sprinter Assembly
idea in serious jeopardy.
Roger
Sadly with the number of fleet allocations Amazon, fed-ex, and the countless shuttles, the private sector doesn’t seem a priority. Would be interesting to see the numbers produced of the two sectors. I read that 27,000 vans were produced of 2018 models.

Top Bottom