Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

View Poll Results: Would you buy 2nd Sprinter after owning for a period of time?
Yes 163 85.79%
No 27 14.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll | Withdraw Vote

Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #61
Flagster

Default Re: Things to know before you Buy a 4X4 sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherco Offroad View Post
I have a 2016 4x4 170 inch super high roof that I bought last summer and now have 39k miles on it with no issues (knock on wood). I had the dealer install the crew cab windows. Cost $800 and well worth it.
I get 15 to 16.5 mpg but I have a heavy foot and usually set the cruise as high as the governor will allow (82 to 84). I am in the motorcycle business and I travel a lot with three dirt bikes in the rear of the van and usually two other people with me. I have the oil changed at 10k miles because I just can't make myself go 20k.
There are a few little things that irritate me:
It is difficult to get the key fob to unlock or lock the doors even with it pointed at the front of the van.
I hate the door lock button being located on the dash. You have to get into the vehicle to unlock the other doors. Wish they were located on the doors like most vehicles.
Can't turn the rear interior light on from the front.
Rides a little rough but it is a van after all.
I wish the governor would allow for 85 to 87 mph so I could use that speed to get around slower drivers in the left lane but then again.....prolly should drive something that big that fast!
The 4x4 feature is awesome. I owned three Ford E350 vans before this Sprinter and all would get stuck in grass if it was even slightly damp. I have a friend with a mile long dirt driveway over a large hill, red clay dirt and rain ruts and I have been up and down it multiple times after a heavy rain. He has towed me out with his 4x4 John Deere multiple times in the Fords.
Based on the experience I've had so far I'd buy another.
Glad to hear someone else is putting on the miles like we are with ours...on pace for 20K a year by this fall when it will be 2 years old. Also doing 7-10K oil changes. Best road tripping vehicle we have ever had... No issues so far other then a cooked battery this summer and broken antenna due to a solid winter so no complaints there...Already making plans for a 170 4x4
Flagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #62
vtsoundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsoundman View Post
ARB has said they would do a rear locker if for the sprinter if they can get 50 people to sign up for one...I'd love to 'sign-up' for one...lockers on our vans would help reduce issues caused by the anemic front axle torque split.
Well...turns out this is just a rumor. Per ARB, the differential has a welded on ring gear and therefore, would have to sell the entire ring gear/pinon/differential assembly. As ARB is a just a diff house, it is outside of their wheelhouse to do. It would have to come from an axle assembly outfit.

I dropped a note to Iglhaut-GmbH Allrad-Vertrieb...these guys have a mechanical locker and some other cool parts. Won't ship to US....not really interested in finding a means to either. A shame...wonder if someone in Germany might be interested in talking to these guys a bit more. http://iglhaut-allrad.de/en/rear-axle-lock.html
vtsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #63
OffroadHamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsoundman View Post
Well...turns out this is just a rumor. Per ARB, the differential has a welded on ring gear and therefore, would have to sell the entire ring gear/pinon/differential assembly. As ARB is a just a diff house, it is outside of their wheelhouse to do. It would have to come from an axle assembly outfit.

I dropped a note to Iglhaut-GmbH Allrad-Vertrieb...these guys have a mechanical locker and some other cool parts. Won't ship to US....not really interested in finding a means to either. A shame...wonder if someone in Germany might be interested in talking to these guys a bit more. http://iglhaut-allrad.de/en/rear-axle-lock.html
That is a drag on both accounts. I wonder what Uglhaut's refusal to ship to the US has to do with? Im sure some sort of rule, certification or perception thereof.
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:09 AM   #64
Wrinkledpants

Their instagram account a few months ago showed a dude in the US as their newest distributer. I wonder if maybe that didn't happen?
Old 10-31-2018, 01:39 AM   #65
Sprinter SS

I like lockers but don't want to be in a situation where I had to have it! I will ride my dirt bike in at that point...
Sprinter SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #66
Onefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
Their instagram account a few months ago showed a dude in the US as their newest distributer. I wonder if maybe that didn't happen?
Here’s a very recent Response to an email I sent.

Hi Dave,
Thank for contacting Iglhaut Allrad USA. We just brought the first Iglhaut Sprinter to the US and will introduce it at Overland Expo East. We hope to have the tire carrier available by spring. We may also have the centrifugal snorkel available. If you’re on instagram follow us @iglhautallradusa for updates and on the website which is a work in progress!
Thanks for your interest!
Best regards,
Daniel Kuttner
Iglhaut Allrad USA
Onefin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onefin For This Useful Post:
Surveillance Van (11-19-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #67
cwvandy

Have 2017 4x4 Sprinter built out by Sportsmobile. Custom suspension (Agile & Van Compass), loaded (9600 libs) and run hard for 20K miles. Trip to Alaska and back with about 2000 miles of seriously hard off-road driving, living in it for 3 months at a time the van has had one issue covered by warranty (emissions system valve). No issues, no leaks, none of what others have experienced. I went in knowing the complex emissions systems required to make the diesel "legal" for the USA presented potential issues. Bought 150K mile warranty and have not needed it. I would buy again but with even minimal research anyone considering can learn about the downside of all the crap that is part of the USA emissions system and decide for themselves. Considering trip to South America. If we go we will visit shop that can pull ALL the emission crap off, store it while we travel and reinstall when we return.
cwvandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #68
Bigsurkate

I have a 2018 Sprinter 4x4 cargo, low roof, 144” I replaced the wheels and tires with BFGoodrich KO2s and black rhino rims immediately. I live on a clay dirt road that goes from 200’ to 3200’ in 5 miles, so it is steep in some locations, which fortunately tend to be on rock, but there is a clay spot that idiots (Subarus and AWD) keep messing up. My 3rd trip out with the van I could not get up through this spot, even though my bed is wood and over the rear axle, and had to back down. Several days later, I was able to get home across the ridge from an asphalt road by finding someone to lead me in with a chainsaw (after a powerful storm there were LOTS of trees down on this much longer route). I now wait for the road to dry out so I can get it out again (glad I kept my Tacoma TRD 4x4) and then will look to either get it on the road for the entire winter, next year, or find an RV place to store it for the winter. Other than that, I adore it. None of the problems I had read about and prepared for. I did a very simple conversion of a bed, some shelves and storage under the bed.
Bigsurkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #69
aksotar

Kate... if you are along Hwy 1 then it sounds like you're still getting hit hard by Ma Nature !! A balmy 27 here in Anchorage, mixed rain/snow last night...
hope your road dries quickly, any place close thats closer to the Hwy you could keep it during parts of the Winter ??
aksotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #70
Bigsurkate

I am thinking down at the school at the bottom of my road and highway one might work, but I will have to be concerned re mice and human varmits, I think. I will check with them...
Bigsurkate is offline   Reply With Quote