Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 08-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #41
Lenfagan

Default Re: battery disconnect switch for winter storage

I have a 2016 CS Adventurous with the EcoTrek 400 and 470 watt solar. Normally I keep all switches off. There is the EcoTrek Lithium battery switches, the normal 12 volt coach switch and the invertor switch to deal with. I asked RoadTrek the best operation of the system and the following is from Road Trek:
The batteries only need to be turned on if you require battery power or you are charging them.
You also only need to turn on one or both of the batteries depending on the power demand.
There is a specific series of steps to get the lithium module back on line if it shuts itself off.

The first thing is to start the engine. This will bring the under hood generator on line. Then with the lithium main switch turned on (blue light), press the reset switch and release it. This will turn on the "Charge In" relays in the lithium module. It is important to know that there are two sets of relays in the module, one for the Charge In, and one for Charge Out. The Charge Out relay will not engage right away and so there will not be power coming out of the module and it will not charge from the inverter (shore power). After having run the engine for half an hour or longer, press the reset button again and that should engage the Charge Out relay to let power out of the module. At that point you should have power to the coach after turning on the main Battery Disconnect switch and you will be able to turn on the inverter and it will begin to charge. In addition, it is important to know that even with shore power connected to the vehicle, if the Charge Out relay is not engaged, the inverter/charger will not turn on because it does not "see" a battery. If it does see a battery it will turn on.
Check out link

In addition, the switch on the inverter itself MUST be in the OFF position. That switch overrides the remote switch up on the panel and so even if you turn off the remote switch the inverter would stay on and drain the battery.

Here is a link to a great video explanation of the EcoTrek system done by one of our people.
Lenfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #42
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

Yes, that's right-- I forgot to mention that the switch on the inverter itself (in the back, just inside the right rear door on our Agile) will override the remote switch; I keep that switch in the OFF position all the time.
irvingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #43
just4grins

Just to make this even more confusing: Our 2013 Agile has solar panels, as well as the inverter charger under the drivers seat. After taking possession of the vehicle and on a trip, I noticed 2 red lights glowing. Check manual which said the charger was in suspend mode. It said for me to turn it to active mode, voila green lights. It seems that if I leave the battery dis/connect switch on with the vehicle running the house batteries get charged. If the vehicle is off it seems that the solar panels keep the house batteries topped off with the batteries "connected." And when running the house batteries will charge as long as we're running, and if not running the solar panels take over.
Does this make sense?
just4grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #44
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

That seems to be the way my 2015 works as well; while on the road, the under hood generator tops off coach batteries, but when it's sitting in the driveway the solar panels do the job. Not sure, however, if it's necessary to have the little switch over the side door to "Batt On" or not, but that's where I leave it in any case, to use the exhaust vent during the day. Nice not to have to plug it in -- at all!
irvingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #45
Bradly C

I have 2014 Navion with two group 24 batteries.

I have traveled fourteen hours changing the entire time, then tested the batteries they never reached 95% and most of the time 90%. The point is additional charging will be required to top off the batteries.

I use a Ctech 25000 25amp charger to top off (160 Amp hours) even this charger takes as long as 5 hours to bring them to full charge; the last 10% is very slow so don't rely on your converter to maintain your battery plant.

Solar is great but may take days to top off, especially with parasite loads each night.
A charger/tender may be a better choice however both will do the job just at different rates.

You may also want to condition the batteries (mix the acid). However neither of these charging methods will condition the batteries. Batteries that are regularly deep discharged tend to stratify the acid at the bottom of the batteries. The Ctek has a setting to accomplish this as do other chargers, restoring the proper mix, as measure by specific gravity.

Once these processes are complete a Tender or Solar Tender will take care of the batteries in storage. Not completing these steps may shorten the life of your battery plant, or shorten the useful Amp hours available each day.

Just my limited experience.
Bradly C is offline   Reply With Quote