Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 04-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #51
BobLLL

Default Re: possible refrigerator woes

Link to the parts diagram for RM7401, for what it is worth. Looks like the panel should come off, but no real clue as to how.
http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/rm7401l_1.pdf
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #52
RT.SS

Open the fridge door and look towards the bottom of control panel fascia, there might be screws holding it, you may also have to pull the plastic dial knobs out to get to the control board.

This is how your board might look like.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #53
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT.SS View Post
Open the fridge door and look towards the bottom of control panel fascia, there might be screws holding it, you may also have to pull the plastic dial knobs out to get to the control board.

This is how your board might look like.
And the winner is....
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #54
gte
2008 RS

What a great forum and great contributors. I pulled the control knobs and there they were deep in the plastic recesses of the knob tunnel; two screws holding the faceplate on as in the picture below. Once the faceplate came off there was the control module held with two easy to access screws. Once removed the module should be able to be removed, however, in an apparent austerity move in DGR, they used VERY short wires to run from the module back to a connection post. Thus, I could only move the module about an inch, not enough to see behind it. The little I did see suggests it is a plastic module which can be taken apart by removing three screws on the top of the module thus exposing the board, IF the module could be moved forward 2-3 inches OR if the refrigerator is out of the RV. The wires are on the connection post are held down with screws which can only be removed if the unit is out of the RV.
Darn, I was so close, but I now know to have the dealer look for the fuse while I am present before going on to replacing the heater element.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4675.JPG (61.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4668.JPG (63.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4667.JPG (90.5 KB, 38 views)
gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #55
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte View Post
Thanks Icarus. I did see the apparent control board in the diagram and the trouble shooting suggests a fuse is in the circuit someplace. I assume by slide the unit out you mean to take out the rour screws holding it in place and take off the propane connections so it can be pulled out a bit. I did take out the drawer and was not able to see any more. It is warmer in Mn today, 25-45, so I will investigate.
Later Saturday morning.
I have the four screws out and while I did not disconnect the propane I tried tipping the unit a bit but it will not budge. I have read that there is caulking around the unit, however, I do not see any and the space around the unit to see is very small. I think I will allow my dealer to look for the fuse first and if it is not blown then install the new heater element if it is blown.
Thanks again for all the suggestions....you would think a German company would make the fuse more accessible for DIY folks.
Ja, aber ACHTUNG:

Das Machine is nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengraben. Ist easy schnappen der springwork, blowenbfusen und Poppencorken mit Spritzensparken.

Ist nicht fur Gewerken by das Dummköpfen. Das rubbernecken. Sightseeren keepen Hands in das Pockets. Relaxen und watch das turning Veels.

cheers...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #56
gte
2008 RS

Mein,

Ihr Deutsch ist ausgezeichnet! Vielen Dank fuer Ihre Auskunft.

Herr Gary
Old 04-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #57
icarus

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,702 Posts

A replacement heater is not very expensive, and should be accessible without pulling the fridge as I said before. As I also said before, it is rare for them to fail. The heating element is held in with a small scre clamp, and then pulls straight out. You might Be able to clip the screw that holds the wire loom with a side cutters?

You shouldn't hav to pull the fridge completely out, just inch it forward enough. If you have to take the gas line off, it is no big deal. Like I said before, the service guys are alway the sharpest knifes in the drawer!

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #58
gte
2008 RS

Icarus,
Thanks. I should send a picture of the view from the lower vent and the upper as I cannot make out where the heater element is located. The 120 volt plug is in the top vent and the wires disappear and seem to go back into the RV but I do not see where they come back and go to the element. I see a 2-3 inch round galvanized tube on the right side and a vent stack on top of that which is about an inch in diameter. I assume the boiler is in there somewhere but it is not easy to see where the element is located. I do see the ignition wires going into what I assume is the igniter near the bottom of the galvanized tube. I will send pictures!
I agree the element should not burn out as it has not bee used that much.