Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Chrisparke

Default Best Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

I noticed that Mumkin had installed a TPMS, a system that I definitely want to install in new TB Unity. Mumkin, if you would please, let me know how your system is working, and looking for other reviews from anyone with experience with various brands/models of monitors. Many thanks, Chrisparke
Chrisparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
mumkin

Default Re: Best Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Based on perusing lots of posts on the topic on various boards, I chose to go with the TST system: http://tsttruck.com/

It is a small company in Georgia and they were super helpful with me because I couldn't get the darned things to work consistently for me. After a number of months of what is more than likely "(hopeless) user error," I got frustrated with the whole thing and they agreed to take it back and generously gave me a full refund. I am so UN-technical.

This was on a Chevy, not a Sprinter... and I still recommend them highly.

Mumkin
2011 LTV LIbero
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
Chrisparke

Mumkin. Thanks so much for quick response. And funny response because today I watched a TST video on how to program and quit halfway through , thinking there has to be a system that is easier to set up. So I kept looking and found another that said set up would only take an hour. AN HOUR!!
I'm going to keep searching and will let you and forum know what I find. Ideally it will be a system that reports to my IPhone or IPad, not a dash monitor with wires hanging from it.
Thanks again
Chrisparke
Waiting on 2014 Unity TB
Chrisparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
mumkin

I'm really not convinced at this point... three years later... that one needs a TPMS. It is just as easy to check the air regularly rather than obsess about it when one is driving down the road. But I know... it's a guy thing. Just like when I read the long detailed discussions of Scan Gauges. I just sit there and wonder... I've been driving cars for 50 years now and RVs for 9 years and having that information didn't seem to be of much importance to me for all this time, so why would I want to know now? LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumkin For This Useful Post:
CB1945 (12-19-2018), TJLee089 (10-03-2018)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
aljimenez
'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I'm really not convinced at this point... three years later... that one needs a TPMS. It is just as easy to check the air regularly rather than obsess about it when one is driving down the road. But I know... it's a guy thing. Just like when I read the long detailed discussions of Scan Gauges. I just sit there and wonder... I've been driving cars for 50 years now and RVs for 9 years and having that information didn't seem to be of much importance to me for all this time, so why would I want to know now? LOL
It is a guy thing to know as much as possible about engines especially if it involves high tech stuff mumkin.

I had never had TPMS and we are getting ready for a multi-month trip and I thought it would be a good idea to have one so I bought the same system as you did. We have had it for about three months now and we had a long trip recently.

First question it created for me is what is the correct temperature to set the tire pressure that are specified?; I still don't know the answer to that one to my satisfaction. The second surprise for me is how different the tire pressure are on the right side vs the left side of the vehicle, depending on the sun exposure.

Basically plus or minus about 3psi seems to not matter much, and temperature variations make a bigger impact on tire pressure than I had anticipated. I like having this data and I enjoy not having to manually check tire pressure by visiting each tire; I think they are worth having... Al
aljimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
sailquik

Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,331 Posts

mumkin,
Because you are in a Sprinter now....hopefully.
And in their infinite wisdom, the Mercedes engineers who designed it did not include any gauges so you have any idea what your engine is doing.
Then they selected shift points that make no sense at all.
So, for the first time in your 50 years you are driving a vehicle that can be running at maximum power, minimum revs, and consuming fuel at 2 to 3 times the rate that you need to go down the road (or up a hill especially) if you were running the same engine in the same Sprinter or RV operating it in it's most efficient rev and power range.
Maybe you don't care.
I do.
And, since I care, I proactively do things like manually downshift when the % LOD exceeds 80%....when the boost/MAP runs right at the Max.... or when I see that the engine is sucking fuel at some outrageous rate.
Why....so I don't/didn't have to deal with burst turbo resonators...burst hoses....gummed up or inop EGR valves... none of the things that put a lot of Sprinters into LHM mode..... fairly regularly for those who don't understand or care.
LHM mode...what's that? Never experienced it in > 200 k miles so I guess the Scan Gauge II to keep my engine and drive train
operating in the range where they were designed to operate, and using the best fluids, really works.
Sure has worked for me!
YMMV
Roger
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170

Last edited by sailquik; 11-11-2013 at 03:43 AM.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
Graphite Dave (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
mumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
mumkin,
Because you are in a Sprinter now....hopefully.
Actually, no... my LTV is a Chevy because after extended research I found that after the divorce from Dodge, one needs to drive hundreds of miles to get any warranty work done out here in the prairies.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
NetDoc

He's referring to a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) and not a Scan Gauge device. I installed a TPMS only to find that it can't really be set up for my sprinter. I need it to have an upper set point higher than 60 psi and having the low point no higher than 40 makes it useless as an alarm. It takes it a while to register the rear tires as well, and it's always telling me that they are over inflated. I think they are a great idea, but their range is limited to the wheel base and metal mass of a car, not a Sprinter. BTW, the Scangauge II is high on my list once I get the other stuff done. Me? I like the idea of having tire pressures come into the cabin real time, but then I worked for Goodyear for a number of years and tires and suspension are more important to me than anything else.
Solo otro día en el paraíso!
Mechanics always start what they finish!
NetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NetDoc For This Useful Post:
Chrisparke (11-30-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
NetDoc

Tire pressures should be set before any trip (cold). The higher the pressure the less heat will be generated by the flexing of the sidewall. Ergo the tire will run cooler with higher initial pressures. Most blow outs occur from a simple flat that is not repaired. The low pressure in the tire allows the sidewall to flex to the point of becoming quite hot. The elevated pressure, (1 atm = 14.7 psi) increases the partial pressure of oxygen allowing it to react more readily with the inside rubber. This is why pure nitrogen is better than plain old air. Even then, it's just best to keep your tires inflated properly.
Solo otro día en el paraíso!
Mechanics always start what they finish!
NetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
glas1700

I use a Tire Traker system on my Geo Tracker that we tow behind our motorhome. The system is inexpensive, easy to set up (only takes a few minutes), measures both pressure (0 to 145 PSI) and temperature (14 to 185 deg F) and uses replaceable batteries. The system has worked so well, that I've decided to buy four more sensors for the motorhome duals.

I think that it's absolutely essential to have a TPMS for a towed vehicle because you have no other way to tell if a tire is losing air or has gone flat. Monitoring pressure in dual rear tires is a close second.

https://www.tiretraker.com/
97 Geo Tracker 4WD toad
glas1700 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glas1700 For This Useful Post:
Chrisparke (11-30-2013)