Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

support Sprinter-Source.com
Click here or the banner before shopping at Amazon. A percentage of your purchase goes to support Sprinter-Source.com

Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #11
GoJohnGo
Road trip!

Default Re: Removing Espar D4 for maintenance

The recommendation I got from PNWSquid was Rixen's in the greater Portland, OR area. Haven't used them yet; perhaps Mr. Squid can share?
2005 Dodge Sprinter Westfalia by Airstream #63 in Jasper Blue
GoJohnGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #12
Pnwsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnGo View Post
The recommendation I got from PNWSquid was Rixen's in the greater Portland, OR area. Haven't used them yet; perhaps Mr. Squid can share?
Rixen definitely knows their stuff and do many of the OEM installs on local conversions (Van Specialties, Outside van and I believe even sports mobile in some cases).

I wouldn't hesitate to use them, but can't stress enough my opinion towards servicing the unit on your own. Once removed, open it up and check the atomizer screed and clean the burn chamber. 30 minute job not including install/reinstall.
Pnwsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #13
Robert Foster

I removed the espar heater from my Westfalia today and like most things on my rig, what I have doesn't seem to match the OEM setup. Does anybody see any reason for me to not revert these items back to the OEM setup ?

The differences that I noticed right off the bat as compared to Kiltym's pictures at the beginning of this thread are below.

1) My combustion air intake tube doesn't loop back to the second port on the underside of the stainless box that the espar is housed in, nor does the pipe have the condensate hole in it.

2) My exhaust pipe doesn't have a muffler on it. I have always thought my espar was ridiculously loud when running-maybe that's the reason. Is a muffler on the espar exhaust OEM ?

3) The return air duct on the front of the stainless espar box is not a flexible pipe but a single walled metal vent connector. This significantly increased the complexity of removing the espar heater. The vent connector appears to have been attached to OEM return duct fitting coming out of the floor of the van with a custom made transition fitting riveted to the OEM.

4) The supply air duct was just stuck to the stainless espar box with some sticking tape, no fitting or hose clamp. Is there a fitting that's missing from my unit ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epar intake exhaust.jpg (61.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg espar return air duct.jpg (61.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg espar return air duct 2.jpg (71.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg espar supply air duct.jpg (90.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg espar supply air plenum.jpg (60.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:08 AM   #14
Robert Foster

Here's a few removal pictures for anyone not familiar with dropping the stainless box from the van in order to remove the espar from the box.

Once the two supply and return air ducts, fuel line and intake and exhaust pipes are removed the box unbolts easily from the van with six bolts that are readily apparent.

There is a large electrical/control connector that easily separates by pulling out on the red tab.

There are four threaded studs securing the espar inside the box that are located adjacent to the intake and exhaust ports on the bottom of the box.

I had to remove one end of my box to get the espar out of the box, but that is easily done by removing six screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg espar box dropped.jpg (78.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg espar box opened.jpg (77.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg threaded studs.jpg (72.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg threaded stud removed.jpg (64.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg espar electrical connector.jpg (64.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 AM   #15
onemanvan

A couple of years ago I removed the muffler on mine. I was having problems with the heater not starting - just blowing clouds of white smoke. I had already added a high altitude pump and high altitude compensator. It seemed to me that the muffler restricted air flow through the combustion chamber which contributed to a richer air/fuel mixture. After removing the muffler the problem seemed to abate - but not entirely. At last I replaced the burner tube and now it's working OK. But I'm going to leave the muffler off in the hope that a leaner air/fuel mixture will help reduce carbon buildup in the burner tube and chamber.
onemanvan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onemanvan For This Useful Post:
Robert Foster (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:49 AM   #16
Robert Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanvan View Post
A couple of years ago I removed the muffler on mine. I was having problems with the heater not starting - just blowing clouds of white smoke. I had already added a high altitude pump and high altitude compensator. It seemed to me that the muffler restricted air flow through the combustion chamber which contributed to a richer air/fuel mixture. After removing the muffler the problem seemed to abate - but not entirely. At last I replaced the burner tube and now it's working OK. But I'm going to leave the muffler off in the hope that a leaner air/fuel mixture will help reduce carbon buildup in the burner tube and chamber.
Did you notice an appreciable difference in the noise level without the muffler verses with the muffler ?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 AM   #17
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

1. Make things the same, unless the modifications deliberately altered the setup. Espar heaters are sensitive to proper installation, including angled slant of the fuel pump, no gaps in the hard plastic fuel lines (can't use rubber types ones), etc. Why have more things to track down as possible culprits if things aren't the same?

One note--a controller.accessible from upper bunk would.be nice.

4. Query re Red Supply Hose Duct?

If you're asking about the red supply hose duct, one end goes into the metal box and OVER/around one end of the heater--with a hose clamp accessible only from INSIDE the metal box.

So when drop the metal box, have to disconnect the other end of the red hose duct where it attaches to vehicle--so red hose duct goes with the metal box when lower and remove metal box.

3. Return Duct

NOTE: The other end of the Espar heater sticks outside the metal box so the return air duct can slip OVER/around that end with a hose clamp.

Think the above is correct.

The red hose duct looks original but you're missing the original whitish return duct (replaced with the metal and tape in your version).

NOTE: Poor Design. The heater ductwork into the passenger area behind the driver seat goes right ABOVE the return air hole--so if the heater duct droops, it may block the return air hole in the floor--and Espar.heater will shutoff.

Remove the large plastic panel under awning window to see if that is a problem. The body cavity acts as the air return area, with the little slotted area opening next to rear seat.
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post:
Robert Foster (10-29-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #18
onemanvan

After removing the muffler I could hear little or no difference from inside the van. Outside it's a bit louder - more so when the heater is running at high heat output. It's difficult to quantify without decibel readings - but i'd guess 20 to 40 percent louder depending on what heat output level it's running at...
onemanvan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onemanvan For This Useful Post:
Robert Foster (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:12 AM   #19
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Link to older DIY instructions on removing gray plastic panels around awning window. Also check Westfalia Repair CD/Manual.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ht=Black+panel
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #20
Robert Foster

I received my Espar parts, serviced and reinstalled everything.

As I posted above, the Espar's return air duct fitting and flexible duct on my Westfalia was removed for some reason and replaced with a metal vent connector. I was able to improve on that setup with the metal flexible duct that I purchased from Espar, but I am wondering if the original return and supply duct fitting shown in the pictures below is an available part that I could still purchase somewhere or was that a specially made Westy part that is no longer available. Anybody have any idea ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake fitting.jpg (77.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg intake fitting 2.jpg (73.7 KB, 11 views)