Stretching what you have.

With social distancing we all will likely have more time than ready supplies. Feel free to add your :2cents: to this thread.

And here's what prompted me to start this thread.

... Who knew that joining a Sprinter cult could turn us all into bakers?
We never did waste that much food - but man it is down to almost zero now. Every little bit has been getting used in something. When we had fresh parsley I chopped up all that was left and put it in ice cubes. Has been very nice and handy to have. Some good habits we will carry forward. But of course it helps that there is more than ample time to plan all the cooking now.
Off the top of my pointy little head.

Putting baked goods in the freezer overnight will help to slow future mold growth.

I "can" soup to keep in the refrigerator. After we have used what we need, while the soup is at a low boil (a bit of bubbling) I transfer it to canning jars to be kept in the refrigerator. I reuse lids. If the lid doesn't seal, we use that bottle first. It keeps for at least a couple months in the refrigerator. Pickle jars, spaghetti sauce jars, etc. can be used if you don't have canning jars.
Note: For some reason bean soups don't last as long using the above method. Good for 2 -3 weeks though.

When making soups and stews the vegetables don't need to be pristine and pretty. Cut out bad spots and use the good parts.

I buy brick yeast and transfer it into small jars to be kept in the refrigerator. I've been using the same small baby formula jars since 2002. (From my granddaughter.) The yeast remains viable for many, many years... a decade? Brick yeast is less expensive than small packaged yeast.

We've gone back to using cloth hand towels in the kitchen to save on paper towels. We always used hand towels, but now we're a bit more militant. Remember. If you are staying within your home and follow procedures towels within the home are safe.

We wash our plastic seal bags for reuse. I don't do that if meat was kept in one, but that's me. There are many bags which can be washed though. (I've actually been doing that for decades.)

I'm certain that other members have ideas to add.

:cheers: vic

rollerbearing

I went looking for brick yeast and couldn't find any - though I'd always seen it before. Have you had any luck saving a portion of risen dough to seed the next batch - a bit like sourdough starter? With the incredibly long rise times for the no knead recipes I would think this might work?????

I went looking for brick yeast and couldn't find any - though I'd always seen it before. Have you had any luck saving a portion of risen dough to seed the next batch - a bit like sourdough starter? With the incredibly long rise times for the no knead recipes I would think this might work?????
I thought that I had more bottles of yeast than I do. Then I remembered that I gave some away some time ago to a friend.

I couldn't answer your question.

YouTube did have videos about making and extending yeast. This is just one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTt8VGyBdk

I'm thinking that I can include a teaspoon of my on hand yeast to help kick off the process.

rollerbearing

tinman

Very interesting. Our human microbiome is the subject of a lot of current research with a lot of revelations about its importance to our functioning. Some of the findings relate to its variability with geography, culture, and diet. This kind of fits into that. Hope your "hand yeast" produces a flavorful bread!

Extending Sell By and Best By dates printed on the packages.

My experience.

Sealed and properly stored sour cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. will keep long after the Sell By dates. I've used yogurt that was months past the date. Of course you need to check that the packaging doesn't show signs of pressure inside. There shouldn't be any off smells. If anything tastes/feels sharp on your tongue, rinse your mouth and discard the product.

The Sell By dates on hard cheeses can almost be completely ignored. Before refrigeration was available milk was made into cheese because cheese keeps well. When the hard cheese is kept refrigerated the life is greatly extended. I trim mold off the outside of hard cheese and use the inside unaffected parts. I'm told that tentacles of mold can extend into the good looking parts. So far I've had no problems with trimming.

:2cents: vic

Eggs keep at least a month past the Sell By date.

rollerbearing

Another trick for cheese is to smoke it. If you have a smoker, put a bowl of ice in it to condense the water vapor (major heat source) and smoke the cheese at the lowest temperature. I usually set it on some small hole expanded mesh (it will ooze around regular grill bars and make a mess). Let it smoke until it starts to look pretty soft or maybe 30mins to 1hr. Wrap the soft block/blob in plastic wrap and reshaped and refrigerate. If you can, wait 2 days for maximum flavor. I have often given this away to friends only to hear that they immediately ate it all in one sitting (couldn't stop themselves).

I have never seen this smoked cheese get moldy.

Extra sharp cheddar and even mozzarella are excellent.

rollerbearing

I once accidentally ate a sealed yogurt that had been sitting on my desk for more than a month while I was out in the field. When I came back I saw this yogurt and thought it was the one I had packed for the day. Tasted perfectly fine and had no "trouble" afterwards.

I once accidentally ate a sealed yogurt that had been sitting on my desk for more than a month while I was out in the field. When I came back I saw this yogurt and thought it was the one I had packed for the day. Tasted perfectly fine and had no "trouble" afterwards.
Wow. Even I've never taken it to that extreme.

It helps to show that refrigerated sealed yogurt is good for the length of time that I've claimed.

rollerbearing

Heh, heh, just handed my wife a smoothie with blanched dandelion leaves in it rather than her usual spinach. Got a thumbs up - then told her what it was. She didn't want to try it earlier, now all is good.

Anyway, it's that time of year - they're getting ready to sprout up all over. Maybe put them to use.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sauteed-dandelion-greens-242014

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222744/dandelion-greens-with-a-kick/

And never heard of this one before:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2...eferringId=222744 referringContentType=recipe

Last edited:

Top Bottom