Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #41
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Default Re: Window Regulator Fix

Here's an excellent replacement with photos and detailed information from another poster. Note that the manual window regulator uses a mushroom head rivet to the metal arm and NO plastic guide.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...51&postcount=3
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #42
80sDweeb

I didn't have the time to hunt down hardware and fabricate a fix for this, so I went for this overpriced but nice looking solution (still far cheaper than the dealer.) Got it on eBay, listed as "1995-2006 DODGE MERCEDES Sprinter window crank motor lift regulator repair kit", it's a brass piece manufactured in Estonia, post needs to be cut off and punched out of the arm, kit includes a replacement bolt and special nut. I hope it arrives soon. $34 with shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Estonia Repair pic1.jpg (56.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Estonia Repair pic2.jpg (48.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Estonia Repair pic3.jpg (47.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Estonia Repair pic4.jpg (143.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Estonia Repair pic6.jpg (78.9 KB, 91 views)
80sDweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 80sDweeb For This Useful Post:
brassarl (02-09-2018), MillionMileSprinter (02-07-2018), mything2 (10-27-2017), OldWest (10-16-2017), PATECO (02-13-2018), Rover (04-07-2018), SondraRose (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #43
SondraRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sDweeb View Post
I didn't have the time to hunt down hardware and fabricate a fix for this, so I went for this overpriced but nice looking solution (still far cheaper than the dealer.) Got it on eBay, listed as "1995-2006 DODGE MERCEDES Sprinter window crank motor lift regulator repair kit", it's a brass piece manufactured in Estonia, post needs to be cut off and punched out of the arm, kit includes a replacement bolt and special nut. I hope it arrives soon. $34 with shipping.
Excellent find! Thanks so much!
SondraRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #44
Buffdough

Lightbulb Re: Window Regulator Fix

Mine went out last night. Got it back to the up position and left the harness disconnected to avoid forgetting and having to remove the door panel again while waiting for the part. I found two replacement kits that look good for ~$30 USD +shipping, but the second kit comes with two.

Found this http://price4.performance-testing.or...sprinter+motor The page has a link which takes you to an eBay listing, and, if I linked directly, then the link would be no good later on. If needed, search the seller account: "volvonest". Brass replacement with connecting screws.

And also this https://mercedessource.com/store/126...eplacement-kit This one looks a bit more skookum, plus, again, it comes with two! Plastic/polymer block with rivet.

Like many Dodge Sprinter parts, they are identical to Mercedes sedan parts, but without a part number they cannot be searched by make/model. That said I will have to order before confirming it fits. I'm going with the second option from MS, since it's a plastic like the factory part. I don't like changing up engineered designs, since things are usually done for a reason. It could be designed to fail to prevent damage to the glass or actuator. Saw one vid of a guy bending the arm towards the glass and back on the slide track; metal to metal. Cool for a pinch, but when it comes off again the arm will scratch the glass. Me thinks the YouTube bendy dude isn't planning on ordering the part and will leave it like that. I thank him for his video, since it helped me. Again, I did exactly as he did minus the bending part, and left the window in the up position; I don't see it coming off as long as I'm not running it up and down, which is why I left the harness off to avoid a headache.

I will update if the MS part doesn't fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0156.JPG (35.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0154.JPG (25.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.JPG (131.7 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Buffdough; 02-07-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added information concerning an eBay listing for future integrity.
Buffdough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buffdough For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #45
zappieman

Did you get the part from MS?
zappieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #46
PATECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
Well this thread just saved me, my window dropped and I discovered the broken guide clip. Called dealer and they dont sell just the plastic guide, they wanted $350 for the entire mechanism. Now I undertstand why they dont sell the plastic guide, as it cant be installed...what a poor design.

Thanks for all the excellent info in this thread and especially the link above I was able to 3D print the part. I then used a hybrid of all the techniques here. I drilled out the exiting post and replaced it with a 1/4 x 1 carriage bolt, a washer and nut...O and some locktite. I then used a dremmel to shave off the excess, added some grease and its now like new.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Here is the results:
https://youtu.be/QNMZ6-q4Z6M

I currently have the shower door roller fix in my passenger door. Mine was a ball bearing roller, but a little too large for the track. I put a bolt and washers through it and chucked it into my drill press, Then used sandpaper on the spinning drill press to make it smaller.

If my other one goes I will see about using the 3D printer file at one of my local maker spaces to reproduce the part. I also think my local Lowes has a 3D printer kiosk that you can pay for time on.

Lowe's Introduces In-Store 3D Printing for Customized Products & Outdated Replacement Parts
Old 03-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #47
053174@gmail.com

I found this to be an excellent fix for my window. It's $30 but a very straight forward fix. Took me 15 minutes to remedy my falling down window. You just need to drill out the old pin that holds the failing/broken plastic insert.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-2006-D...hZqv~j&vxp=mtr
053174@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #48
80sDweeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 053174@gmail.com View Post
I found this to be an excellent fix for my window. It's $30 but a very straight forward fix. Took me 15 minutes to remedy my falling down window. You just need to drill out the old pin that holds the failing/broken plastic insert.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-2006-D...hZqv~j&vxp=mtr
I used this kit, but while installing it, the screw stripped out in the other piece. I left it, hoping for the best, and now, about 2 months later, my window disappeared yesterday. I expect I'll find the screw backed out and fallen off. What do you call the type of hardware the screw goes into? I'll need to find another one, hard to search if you don't know what they're called...
80sDweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #49
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 10,867 Times in 6,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sDweeb View Post
... What do you call the type of hardware the screw goes into? I'll need to find another one, hard to search if you don't know what they're called...
The correct term for the bolt/nut set escapes me. Barrel or truss nut may get you to a general search area. "Chicago Screws"

Depending upon diameter and length, a possible alternative might be to use a pop rivet. To avoid lockup I have pulled pop rivets up to where needed, stop, release the tool, and then snip off the pull nail with side cutters.

vic

Added:
Maybe flush nut?
https://www.google.com/search?q=flus...w=1366&bih=637

Which led me to this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00355AN4U...&pd_rd_w=xoVQs
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Some people have 10 years experience, others just 1 year 10 times.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 03-04-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #50
Lennie

Did you remove the regulator to drill out the rivet? How is the brass part working for those tried it?
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote