What the trade is saying---Auto news (2nd Try)

autostaretx

Erratic Member
They are building idiot properties there.
Agreed ... or at least "highly amusing" properties.
Four story building. One room on each floor. Deck on the roof with hookups for a hot tub. Imagine craning in a hot tub...
Actually, it's two rooms (or 3) on each floor, the stairways are in the center.
We've seen far worse thought-out designs.

--dick :popcorn:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Look who's buying American. :lol:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...k-exports-to-china-amid-swine-fever-trade-war

China Is So Desperate for Pork That It's Buying American Again

By Lydia Mulvany
and Megan Durisin
November 29, 2018, 9:24 AM EST Updated on November 29, 2018, 5:00 PM EST

LISTEN TO ARTICLE
1:15

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Tweet

In this articleLH1
Generic 1st 'LH' Future
USd/lb.
+0.20+0.30%

A disease sweeping through Chinese hog herds is helping negate the effects of the trade war for American farmers, with U.S. pork sales to the Asian nation back to levels before tariffs were introduced.
China was the third-largest buyer of pork in U.S. Department of Agriculture weekly data

released Thursday. The 3,300 metric ton-purchase was the most since February, a month before China imposed tariffs on U.S. pork. Hog futures rose

4.4 percent in Chicago, the most in two weeks.
China Buys U.S. Pork

China bought over 3k tons of pork last week, most since February

flman

It must be because the news is so dismal.

Screenshot_20181209-094255.jpeg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

flman

Why doesn't this thread or any part of if have anything to do with Sprinter Vans or their competition?

Fixed it for you.

I was one of the first to ask for a section for competing vans, there are other places to start political threads on this forum, as long as political threads are in the competition, they will get appropriate replies.

Fact:

BTW put Fox racing shocks on my Transit, they are awesome, van sticks to the road like glue. :thumbup:

(That is what most of us were thinking about for this section.)

flman

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, TDS and political rants, etc.:whistle:

flman

Still winning, you have to take the bad tasting medicine for a while, and then things get better.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...700-items-amid-push-boost-imports-30-trillion

China Cutting Tariffs On 700 Items Amid Push To Boost Imports By $30 Trillion

by Tyler Durden
Mon, 12/24/2018 - 08:54

SHARES

Twitter Facebook Reddit Email Print
As part of China's efforts to open its economy - something its leaders have been touting at least since President Xi's keynote speech at the 2017 World Economic Forum - Xi revealed on Monday a detailed breakdown of what will be the third round of tariff reductions this year, measures that were teased by President Xi during a speech nearly two months ago.
The plans to spend more on foreign goods are part of China's plan to import an additional $30 trillion over the next 15 years as the world's second-largest economy continues its transition from an industrial powerhouse to a service-focused economy, according to Bloomberg.
In addition to the $30 trillion in goods (which is higher than the $24 trillion previously promised by Xi), China is also hoping to increase services imports by $10 trillion during the same period. The measures come as China is weighing whether to abandon its "Made in China 2025" initiative and speed up the liberalization of its economy and its openness to foreign competition as a means of reducing wasteful state-directed spending that has heavily contributed to the massive pile of bad debt swirling around China's corporate sector.

flman

Well that sound like a problem that we must depend on a communist country to make our engines. Sounds like we need a foundry in the USA. Part of Trumps plan.

lindenengineering

Well that sound like a problem that we must depend on a communist country to make our engines. Sounds like we need a foundry in the USA. Part of Trumps plan.
Well there are several foundries in the USA but they make only small parts & limited batch runs .
The largest for information is Fritz Winter Foundry which is German and the USA it is merely a subsidiary and commercial office base.

The next closest are located in Mexico and provide the majority of the Ford production cylinder blocks. Nemak & Tupy come to mind.
The next closest in the American continent is either Brazil or Argentina!

As to Chinese production of cylinder blocks etc, Cummins opened a Chinese subsidiary in 2015, I suppose as a way of containing base cost and a supply chain logistics issue for their Columbus plant .
Of course this was before we had Trump and his wrecking ball policies starting will tariffs.
This was probably the plant our Mr Pencieboy was referring to in the article!
https://www.cummins.com/news/2015/01/29/cummins-breaks-ground-new-plant-china

As to your idea opening a US based foundry of the Chinese magnitude to make engine blocks for Cummins on shore production would be colossal and I couldn't see any merchant bank backing that venture!

As with GM and Ford these policies are clearly having a negative effect sending new production work out to be off shored at the cost of the American worker.

As a tail piece GM's supply chain logistic company in Warrensville shut down this week with a loss of 170 employees jobs .
Plus this policy & outlook the future looks increasingly bleak for many US auto workers.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/general-motors-closings/
Dennis

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
As to your idea opening a US based foundry of the Chinese magnitude to make engine blocks for Cummins on shore production would be colossal and I couldn't see any merchant bank backing that venture!
I'm sure there are plenty of rich people who would be interested in supporting a project to turn the USA into a 20th Century third-world economy. Maybe a GoFundMe page? :dripsarcasm:

flman

I'm sure there are plenty of rich people who would be interested in supporting a project to turn the USA into a 20th Century third-world economy. Maybe a GoFundMe page? :dripsarcasm:

Do you guys have ClintonAmnesia or something, there was a 40% tariff on China, and a crooked politician removed it, before that we made all of our own products here. I guess his buddies at Walmart wanted to increase their profits, by selling cheap Chinese merchandise at the same prices, that the USA made goods were sold for. I am sure the execs at Walmart made a nice contribution to the Clinton foundation. :shifty:

So if a 40% tariff was good for so many years, why is it all of a sudden bad. Swallow the hard medicine, get better and get over it. Do you think a establishment polly is going to fix the problems, let alone even say so in a campaign and not do it?

Trump is curing cancer, the medicine is harsher than disease, but eventually it will get better. :2cents:

flman

Well there are several foundries in the USA but they make only small parts & limited batch runs .
The largest for information is Fritz Winter Foundry which is German and the USA it is merely a subsidiary and commercial office base.

The next closest are located in Mexico and provide the majority of the Ford production cylinder blocks. Nemak & Tupy come to mind.
The next closest in the American continent is either Brazil or Argentina!

As to Chinese production of cylinder blocks etc, Cummins opened a Chinese subsidiary in 2015, I suppose as a way of containing base cost and a supply chain logistics issue for their Columbus plant .
Of course this was before we had Trump and his wrecking ball policies starting will tariffs.
This was probably the plant our Mr Pencieboy was referring to in the article!
https://www.cummins.com/news/2015/01/29/cummins-breaks-ground-new-plant-china

As with GM and Ford these policies are clearly having a negative effect sending new production work out to be off shored at the cost of the American worker.

As a tail piece GM's supply chain logistic company in Warrensville shut down this week with a loss of 170 employees jobs .
Plus this policy & outlook the future looks increasingly bleak for many US auto workers.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/general-motors-closings/
Dennis

No, its more like the tree huggers didn't want it in their back yard, so they offshore it and pretend they are being green. If Clinton would have left the 40% tariff in place, it would have never happened, and we would have never noticed it.

lindenengineering

No, its more like the tree huggers didn't want it in their back yard, so they offshore it and pretend they are being green. If Clinton would have left the 40% tariff in place, it would have never happened, and we would have never noticed it.
Sorry but you appear from your posts, that you have little grasp on what is involved in metal casting, cost, business models & dynamics.
First i suggest you read up & inwardly digest Porters 5 Forces which is the handbook, if not the bible on the metal casting business.

A quotation from an article I read recently :-
Understanding the competitive dynamics of an industry is a critical part of any growth strategy effort. The metal casting industry can be analyzed from an overall strategic perspective using the well-known "Porter's 5 Forces" as a useful starting point.

Determining a company's business model, both the current model and the desired model, is also a key part of a growth strategy. Having a grasp of the foundry industry's competitive dynamics, as well as an understanding of business models, lays the foundation for building robust growth strategies capable of sustaining long-term growth.

So understanding this and how merchant banking works on such a projects are all calculated much before any tree huggers as you call them would even be privy to such proposals.

Suggested some reading matter, thus allowing a calculated brain to engage in the subject not an uninformed emotional one! The latter is for politics which has no place in industrial profitable production.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/porter.asp

Dennis

flman

Well gee Denny? Who cast everything that we made since the industrial revolution until Clinton sold us out? Casting in the US can and will happen again. :whistle:

Top Bottom