Dometic Thermostat

jakes8

2018 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Here is the response I got.

Thank you for contacting Dometic. The part number you’d be looking for is 3316255.000 for white or 3316255.011 for black. If you can provide to us a shipping address, we can send you one at no charge.

Jon

I also was asked to provide the rooftop AC model number. Someone named Sarah was also involved in sending out the new thermostat. Hope this helps.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
That part number looks like it only supports 3 modes fan, cool, furnace (https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-black-heat-and-cool-bluetooth-thermostat-only-3316255-011/). JAKES8 does your part# 3316255 give you control of the heat pump as well? It looks like this one gives you the 4 modes fan, cool, furnace, heat pump that our dometic roof top unit provides, https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-black-ac-furnace-heatpump-bluetooth-thermostat-kit-3316404-015/. It is important to make sure the upgraded thermostat provides 4 mode operation. Looks like the Dometic response RichNJohn recieved provides the correct part#3316404 for the Unity models. It is interesting what a variety of responses everyone recieved! If I were interested in going bluetooth I would call Makarios RV, since they have the best price, and talk with them to ensure I understood the application and installation. I found this video, I do think it is interesting in the video that the person has the thermostat set to 76 but when he presses for current temperature it reads 81 degrees so that would indicate it's not more accurate in temp control. Just sayin!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csR4chqskg

Last edited:

jakes8

2018 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Yes, the one I received supports the heat pump. It works exactly as the original non-Bluetooth model we have. Again, you don't need the entire kit, only the thermostat.

Last edited:

jerryc1976

2018 Unity TB (6/18)
That one only provides heat and cool control. I believe you would have to install this kit, https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-white-ac-furnace-heatpump-bluetooth-thermostat-kit-3316404-000/, to control the 3 functions of our unit (AC, heat pump, furnace) and yes the Bluetooth upgrade would be the way to go. I'm trying to findout if its anymore precise or accurate for temperature that our current obsolete control. I'm not going to go through the effort to get a fancier Dometic piece of crap thermostat!

I found this video, https://youtu.be/1csR4chqskg, it does appear to be plug and play as Stteff suggests but it is for a furnace with a Heat Strip versus the Heat Pump function of our units. I do think it is interesting in the video that the person has the thermostat set to 76 but when he presses for current temperature it reads 81 degrees so that would indicate it's not more accurate in temp control. Just sayin!
Curious....I have a 2018 Unity TB and it has a heat pump and furnace. My thermostat is WAY off as well... I have to set it to over 80 to get the heat pump to kick in...when interior is in mid-60's.. How do you know if there's a heat strip so you get the right bluetooth replacement??

Thanks for posting this....my morning sprint was getting old. ;-)

SSTraveler

Your unit model number is in you LTV book and will tell you if your AC is with a heat pump or heat strip. I know my model has a heat pump. Then call Makarios RV, since they have the best prices, and talk with them to ensure you get the correct bluetooth upgrade part for your model unit. Also make sure they help you understand the installation. Let us know what you find out and how your install goes.

jerryc1976

2018 Unity TB (6/18)
Your unit model number is in you LTV book and will tell you if your AC is with a heat pump or heat strip. I know my model has a heat pump. Then call Makarios RV, since they have the best prices, and talk with them to ensure you get the correct bluetooth upgrade part for your model unit. Also make sure they help you understand the installation. Let us know what you find out and how your install goes.
Thanks for your help. I’ve searched everywhere for the model number... Nothing in LtV manual or the included product lit. Only heat pump info is the warranty.

I’m contacting LTV and see if they can help.

Will definitely do the upgrade and will report back. Can’t wait to not have to do the morning sprint.

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
In the notebook that contains all the manuals for the installed equipment there should be a 2-sided paper that lists all the options and equipment they installed along with the model and serial number for each item. Very helpful paper to have!

jerryc1976

2018 Unity TB (6/18)
Got the new Bluetooth replacement. Talked to Dometic to insure correct part. Bounght from Markarios. All that part went well.

Took pic of wiring connection to ensure correct connection. My wires are white and 2 orange. Hooked up new thermostat same way.

I get power to unit and can pair wit app and control furnace. Nothing happens with heat pump. P

Planning to check connections one more time to ensure orange wires weren’t switched and connections are solid.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

SSTraveler

I'd call Markarios and have them troubleshoot it with you to get it right. The video I posted only shows a three wire connection and when it cycles through the modes (Fan, Cooling, Furnace, Heat Strip) the heat strip shows up as a mode right after furnace. So you are saying the Heat Pump doesn't show as a mode? Or does it show up as a mode but nothing seems to be happening when you select it and set the temperature? I hope you can get it to work, it seems like a nice upgrade!

Last edited:

jerryc1976

2018 Unity TB (6/18)
I'd call Markarios and have them troubleshoot it with you to get it right. The video I posted only shows a three wire connection and when it cycles through the modes (Fan, Cooling, Furnace, Heat Strip) the heat strip shows up as a mode right after furnace. So you are saying the Heat Pump doesn't show as a mode? Or does it show up as a mode but nothing seems to be happening when you select it and set the temperature? I hope you can get it to work, it seems like a nice upgrade!
Many thanks!! All modes "show up" on tstat and in iPhone app....

However, when selected, no heat-pump functions work.... A/C unit never cuts on. The furnace mode works.... Same limitations on the app as well as manually selecting on the tstat.

I'm talking (slowly) with Dometic but plan to reach out to Markarios as well. I "assume" the white wire is correct (far left), my concern is the two identical orange wires that may be swapped....

Seems like nothing would work if that's the case though.

Agreed, I LOVE the ability to control the unit from iPhone and can actually connect it from my house.....great range.

SSTraveler

Well it is good that it shows up as a mode you are half way there. I don't use my heat pump, but I don't think it matters what fan setting it is on Auto vs low/high. You do need to be connected to shore power or have the generator running since the heat pump is part of the AC system and uses the AC compressor to function.

You might try different fan settings to see if it comes on. The manual doesn't indicate a difference, "“Heat Pump” - Heat Pump Mode (Select Models) In  the  Heat  Pump  mode  the  system  will  cycle  the  compressor  On and  Off  based  on  the  room  air  temperature  and  the  temperature  setpoint  on  the  Single  Zone  LCD  thermostat.  When  the  system  calls  for heating  there  will  be  a  delay  of  approximately  two  minutes.  In  auto fan, the compressor will turn On first followed by the fan inapproximately 15 seconds. In this mode there are 3 fan speed selections: Lo  -  (LOW):  The  fan  operates  continuously  at  low  speed.  The  compressor cycles ON and OFF. Hi  -  (HIGH):  The  fan  operates  continuously  at  high  speed.  The  compressor cycles ON and OFF. Au  -  (AUTO):  When  auto  fan  is  selected  the  fan  speed  will  vary depending  on  the  difference  between  the  temperature  set-point  and the  room  temperature.  In  auto  fan  the  compressor  and  fan  will  cycle On and Off with the thermostat. The compressor shuts off first followed  by  the  fan  in  approximately  15  seconds."

Last edited:

jerryc1976

2018 Unity TB (6/18)
Are you connected to shore power or have the generator running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m on shore power.

I went ahead and reconnected the orig thermostat to make sure I had wires right. All worked as before. So I’ll try hooking up the new one again.

Didn’t used to have to wait 2 minutes for a mode to activate so I’ll see if that’s the issue. I know I waited 30-45 seconds with the temp set way high or low to try to get heat or cooling and got nothing. If it’s just a timing thing, I’ll accept that. Not optimistic though.

Thanks for the help guys. I’ll come back after trying again.

UPDATE: Restripped the wires and tightly twisted the ends (twisted copper). Used a magnifier to ensure screw connectors were solid and full constant (these connectors seem to like solid copper better).

After reconnecting, turned power back on, all working well. So once again, user error. Sigh....

I hate these connectors and twisted copper.

Thanks to all who helped.

Last edited:

SSTraveler

Glad you solved your issue and got the upgrade working. So could you give us the part# for the bluetooth upgrade or the link so we can put to bed the question of part# works with our Dometic Penguin ll AC units with heat pump? It would be very helpful to others interested in this upgrade.

Last edited:

jerryc1976

2018 Unity TB (6/18)
Glad you solved your issue and got the upgrade working. So could you give us the part# for the bluetooth upgrade or the link so we can put to bed the question of part# works with our Dometic Penguin ll AC units with heat pump? It would be very helpful to others interested in this upgrade.
Here’s what I got. Nice people. Note that this is the white one. My org was black but I think difficult to read in dark. Now, from bed it doesn’t matter :)

https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-white-heat-and-cool-bluetooth-thermostat-only-3316255-000/

SSTraveler

Here’s what I got. Nice people. Note that this is the white one. My org was black but I think difficult to read in dark. Now, from bed it doesn’t matter :)

https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-white-heat-and-cool-bluetooth-thermostat-only-3316255-000/
Thanks so much for providing all the details and your experience with this upgrade install. The details for installations make all the difference for others to be able to duplicate one's success! I would also go with the white model but if anyone wants the black version here it is as well, https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-black-heat-and-cool-bluetooth-thermostat-only-3316255-011/.

Last edited:

SSTraveler

Here is a cool new Easy Touch RV Thermostat with wifi & Bluetooth from MicroAir, https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32616122220628. Pricey but very cool (less than the Bluetooth Dometic version), I'm getting one if my Thermostat gives me trouble again. The replacement for our Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat is the Easy Touch RV 351 and easy to install, just 3 wires (see attached installation instructions).

Attachments

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
I was just about to post the same link to the Easy Touch thermostat and SSTraveler beat me to it as usual. My thermostat "works", but frequently stops and then starts again within a few seconds, which can't be good for the lifetime of the AC. For some reason if I switch the fan to "on" it helps the cycling so sometimes I set that overnight, but its not an ideal setting for an RV where the roof very quickly heats up - there doesn't seem much point to me in leaving the fan running at all times.

So I plan to replace proactively with this one. The Wifi is just a super bonus.

Top Bottom