What the trade is saying---Auto news (2nd Try)

lindenengineering

For information all the industrialized western countries saw that it wasn't of national interest nor economically viable to manufacture semi finished cheap steels and produce like pig iron or slab.

Citing in the 1970's a fork truck maker I knew of preferred to import counterweights from Brazil and Poland to keep pricing of the finished product competitive.
In fact the decline was a source of an investigation here in the USA during the Bush era presidency and only published at the start of the Clinton era.
See:-

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/d...81-iron-ore-and-semi-finished-steel-2001/file

Going back to Cummins,they most likely have a long term contract to buy enough blocks for their productions runs. Tariffs (an added tax) were not on their radar screens when these contracts were entered into. This added tax clearly has hit their bottom lines of profitability.
Dennis

lindenengineering

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Add $60+ billion for America under President Trump’s new trade deal

One of President Trump’s signature promises was to get America out of bad trade deals—and negotiate brand-new ones that finally benefit our great workers. Late last year, the President delivered on that pledge in a big way when he signed the U.S.–Mexico–Canada Trade Agreement (USCMA), replacing the outdated NAFTA.

The USMCA will make life better for American workers by “bringing back our manufacturing jobs, expanding American agriculture, protecting intellectual property, and ensuring that more cars are proudly stamped with four beautiful words: made in the USA,” President Trump said during his second State of the Union Address.

A new report from the International Trade Commission backs the President up, explaining that the new agreement will add $68.2 billion to America’s economy while creating 176,000 new jobs. “The agreement would likely have a positive impact on all broad industry sectors within the U.S. economy,” the report says. “Manufacturing would experience the largest percentage gains in output, exports, wages, and employment.”

The evidence is quickly making clear that USMCA will offer a bright future for the U.S. economy once Congress enacts it. The question now: How much longer will Washington make our workers wait?

Headlines: USMCA will boost economic growth and create jobs

lindenengineering

Where on earth did you drag this old piece of news up from?

Whatever gains the American worker might have seen in his pay packet, the price of fuel at the pumps is likely to rise significantly over this year, after toying with sanctions on Iran.
This I see is strange since our Trumpy Boy is against Fed interest rate rises but the most significant consumer purchase in 2019 will be pump fuel.

The dark side on the horizon is a boy king who is in bed with the Trump family and secret deals with "Nettantyahoo". remember any conflict in the ME with the significant & inevitable rise fuel prices will Severely impact the working American.

Look a little closer and the news from China is not so bleak as the US press would have you believe!. US growth in 2019 will be about 2% whereas China 6%.

In any case this wanton illegal attack on other countries using the Swift & Dollar trading system is now running into headwinds from the likes of Russia and China. (Venezuela and PDVSA with Rosneft just the start! Not to mention the EU) .

Maybe its this time that these counties will NOW seriously sit down and formulate a different payment mechanism for trade excluding or circumventing the US Dollar completely .
Its only a matter of time as the world isolates the USA! Under Trump the USA has already slimmed down from an 800 lb gorilla to a 300 lb light weight. Still angry and beating its chest but fewer are taking notice of once mighty USA.
Nastier things are on the horizon including the isolationism that comes out of making America great again or is it like it alone alone again and feeling the pain.
Dennis

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The ITC report as a PDF file: https://www.usitc.gov/publications/332/pub4889.pdf (370 pages)
ITC Office press release: https://www.usitc.gov/press_room/news_release/2019/er0418ll1087.htm

Quoting Metal Miner:
MetalMiner said:
The ITC analysis also highlights likely impacts on the automotive sector.

“USMCA would strengthen and add complexity to the rules of origin requirements in the automotive sector by increasing regional value content (RVC) requirements and adding other requirements,” the report states. “USMCA’s requirements are estimated to increase U.S. production of automotive parts and employment in the sector, but also to lead to a small increase in the prices and small decrease in the consumption of vehicles in the United States.”
I haven't dug through it to see what their idea of "small" is in those two different contexts/directions...

The press release also says:
ITC said:
The Commission’s model estimates that USMCA would raise U.S. real GDP by $68.2 billion (0.35 percent) and U.S. employment by 176,000 jobs (0.12 percent).
To put that into persepective, that's only 56% of 2019's January job growth number.
2019, so far, is averaging 180k new jobs per month (despite dismal February)
2018 averaged 218k new jobs per month.

--dick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Whatever gains the American worker might have seen in his pay packet, the price of fuel at the pumps is likely to rise significantly over this year, after toying with sanctions on Iran.
This I see is strange since our Trumpy Boy is against Fed interest rate rises but the most significant consumer purchase in 2019 will be pump fuel.

The dark side on the horizon is a boy king who is in bed with the Trump family and secret deals with "Nettantyahoo". remember any conflict in the ME with the significant & inevitable rise fuel prices will Severely impact the working American.

Look a little closer and the news from China is not so bleak as the US press would have you believe!. US growth in 2019 will be about 2% whereas China 6%.

In any case this wanton illegal attack on other countries using the Swift & Dollar trading system is now running into headwinds from the likes of Russia and China. (Venezuela and PDVSA with Rosneft just the start! Not to mention the EU) .

Maybe its this time that these counties will NOW seriously sit down and formulate a different payment mechanism for trade excluding or circumventing the US Dollar completely .
Its only a matter of time as the world isolates the USA! Under Trump the USA has already slimmed down from an 800 lb gorilla to a 300 lb light weight. Still angry and beating its chest but fewer are taking notice of once mighty USA.
Nastier things are on the horizon including the isolationism that comes out of making America great again or is it like it alone alone again and feeling the pain.
Dennis[/QUOTE

TRUMP GOOD UK BAD.

lindenengineering

Dennis[/QUOTE

TRUMP GOOD UK BAD.
Bob
As usual a very learn-ed response to what is a seriously developing situation which is not in the interests of anyone. --Ultimately of the American worker or the economy of which we are ALL a part of, is taking it in the shorts .
I don't relish paying $5 a gallon for fuel nor seeing tariffs bunged on more stuff!
Already this year (1sr qtr,) I have shelled more direct import tariffs on parts (engine cylinder blocks & heads) than i ever have which has pushed repair costs up once again to my customers.
Trends are not good as i have stated .
So great for getting some rare grey market heads and blocks in from the UK --that was GOOD as none here in the USA. For my customers here in he USA and the royal wallet flush -BAD!
Dennis.

CJPJ

Recent analyses show that the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) will boost economic growth and create more jobs for American workers

FOX BUSINESS: USMCA to Add $68.2B to US Economy, Spur 176K Jobs Says Key Independent Review Panel

“A new trade agreement between the U.S., Mexico and Canada would add $68.2 billion to the U.S. economy and create 176,000 new jobs, according to a study from the International Trade Commission released on Thursday. … ‘The model estimates that the agreement would likely have a positive impact on all broad industry sectors within the U.S. economy,’ the [ITC] report says. ‘Manufacturing would experience the largest percentage gains in output, exports, wages, and employment, while in absolute terms, services would experience the largest gains in output and employment.’”

FINANCIAL TIMES: USMCA Trade Deal to Boost US Economy, Trade Commission Finds

“The ITC said in its report released on Thursday that the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement would have a positive impact on US real gross domestic product and employment ‘if fully implemented and enforced’, citing new rules of origin governing vehicle production. The report also found benefits from reduced policy uncertainty regarding digital trade.”

WASHINGTON EXAMINER: Trump USMCA would add $68B to GDP and 176,000 jobs, independent report says

“The deal would strengthen labor standards and rights, especially those in Mexico, increase intellectual property rights protections enjoyed by U.S. firms, and reduce the scope of the system for settling disputes between investors and individual countries, likely leading to less U.S. investment in Mexico — and freeing up capital for domestic manufacturing and mining, according to the report. The projected positive effect would be small, though.”

REUTERS: U.S. Trade Agency Sees 76,000 New Auto Jobs from North American Trade Deal

“The Trump administration on Thursday estimated that its new North American trade deal will create 76,000 automotive sector jobs within five years as automakers invest some $34 billion in new plants to comply with the pact’s new regional content rules. … A senior USTR official told reporters that none of the 15 automakers producing vehicles in North America intend to opt out of the agreement to pay U.S. tariffs instead and move production overseas, as some critics of the deal have suggested.”

FOX BUSINESS: Trump Admin: USMCA Would Lead to North American Auto Industry Surge

“A new trade deal between the U.S., Mexico and Canada would spur billions of dollars in new investment and launch thousands of new jobs in the North American automotive industry, according to a new study released on Thursday from the Office of the United States Trade Representative. Based on confidential data provided by the major carmakers with operations in the region, the sector would invest roughly $34 billion and create 76,000 jobs within

THE HILL: New NAFTA Would Give $60B Boost to Auto Sector

“The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) projected a significant boost for U.S. automakers and parts producers in an economic analysis of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement (USCMA) published Thursday. The White House trade office projected the USMCA to spur $34 billion in investments in U.S. auto plants, $23 billion in American auto parts sales and create 76,000 new industry jobs over the course of five years. The employment gains would include roughly 22,800 automotive assembly jobs, 8,000 additional advanced battery supplier jobs, and 45,600 additional automotive supplier jobs, according to USTR estimates.”

INSIDE U.S. TRADE: ITC Cites Digital, Auto Provisions in Finding USMCA Will Benefit U.S. Economy

“The Commission estimates that USMCA would boost U.S. GDP by $68.2 billion and would add roughly 176,000 jobs. Additionally, ‘U.S. exports to Canada and Mexico would increase by $19.1 billion (5.9 percent) and $14.2 billion (6.7 percent), respectively. U.S. imports from Canada and Mexico would increase by $19.1 billion (4.8 percent) and $12.4 billion (3.8 percent), respectively,’ the report states.”

POLITICO: U.S. ITC Report: Dairy Exports to Canada Would Grow $227M Under New Deal

“American dairy exports to Canada would increase by $227 million annually under the new USMCA deal, according to a report out today from the U.S. International Trade Commission. The 375-page report assessed the range of effects of the deal, including on dairy, which was among the most politically sensitive issues in Canada. The ITC estimated American dairy exports to Canada would jump significantly — by 43.8 percent.”

CJPJ

Re Q from prior P
The evidence is quickly making clear that USMCA will offer a bright future for the U.S. economy once Congress enacts it. The question now: How much longer will Washington make our workers wait?

Headlines: USMCA will boost economic growth and create jobs

CJPJ

An Interview With Santa’s Lawyer

Please state your name and occupation.

* My name is Marta Pittman, and I’m a partner at Xavier, Masham, Abbott and Stevens.

And you’re Santa Claus’ lawyer.

* That is correct. More accurately, I’m the partner in charge of our firm’s Seasonal Litigation and Clearances practice, which has as a client NicolasNorth LLC, Santa’s corporate entity.

I wasn’t aware that Santa needed to have his own corporation.

* Of course he does. One, Santa heads a massive global enterprise, whose activities are spread over a wide range of areas. Having a corporate structure allows him a measure of organization and systematization. Two, Santa has a large number of employees, mostly elves, who have their own idiosyncratic employment issues and practices. The corporate structure simplifies hiring, benefits, and negotiation of labor disputes. Three, due to the nature of Santa’s work, he has immense exposure to liability. The corporate structure acts as a shield for Santa’s personal wealth and property.

Santa has liability issues?

* Tons.

Can you give an example?

* Obviously I can’t speak about current cases under litigation, but let me give a general example. As you know, a common way for Santa to enter single-unit dwellings is through a chimney.

I always thought that was artistic license.

* No, it’s correct. Santa is usually entering from above and the chimney is the most direct route. “Quick in, quick out” is the keyword here. The important thing is, this point of Santa egress is well-known. And every year, immediately after Christmas, dozens of suits are filed against Santa, claiming property damage caused by Santa entering and leaving through the chimney. The usual allegation is that Santa’s body shape was a predicate cause.

Because he has a round belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly.

* Which is not true, by the way. I’ve seen Santa out of uniform. That dude is ripped.

He is?

* Absolutely. Delivering packages to millions of children in a single night is a heck of workout. The thing is, people don’t know that, and so they file these fraudulent suits predicated on what they assume about Santa’s weight, based on his marketing.

I assume most of these suits get dismissed.

* Usually with prejudice. And also the plaintiffs go onto Santa’s “naughty” list for the next year. Santa takes a dim view of fat shaming, especially for fraudulent purposes. But the point is, since Santa is operating as NicolasNorth LLC, even if one of these suits was successful, Santa wouldn’t lose his house.

At the North Pole.

* It’s actually in Sarasota, Florida.

That’s… disillusioning.

* It was on our advice. Anchoring a home on rapidly-dwindling polar ice is risky from an insurance standpoint.

And Santa’s Workshop?

* Also not on the polar ice. Technically in Nunavut. We recently negotiated a 99-year lease near Cape Columbia. Which brings us to another aspect of our firm’s services for Santa: International law.

Right, because Santa delivers presents all around the world.

* Yes, he does. And up until 2013 he had to negotiate clearances and flight paths with every single country on the globe. People think Santa works one day a year and then sits on the beach the rest of the time. In fact until recently he spent most of his non-Christmas time in meetings with mid-level bureaucrats, trying to make sure the toys he was delivering weren’t subject to import restrictions.

That doesn’t sound especially jolly.

* It’s good if you’re racking up frequent flyer miles. But Santa flies his own aircraft, so he wasn’t even getting that.

What happened in 2013?

* My firm negotiated a rider to the Bali Package at the Ninth Ministerial Conference of the World Trade Organization. As of December 7, 2013, Santa has automatic clearances in every WTO signatory state. Cut his annual paperwork 95%.

So now Santa gets to spend time on the beach.

* There’s a reason he lives in Sarasota.

You mentioned elves before.

* What about them?

What special employment issues do they have?

* Well, before I get to that, I should state unequivocally that Santa is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to create a diverse and welcoming work place for everyone at NicolasNorth LLC and all its subsidiaries and affiliates. He obeys all Canadian employment laws and requires all his sub-contractors and suppliers to adhere to the highest ethical business standards and practices.

That’s a very specific disclaimer.

* There have been unfounded rumors of unfair employment and labor practices at NicolasNorth LLC by some of Santa’s business rivals.

Business rivals?

* Let’s just say that someone whose name rhymes with “Leff Gezos” is going to be getting coal in his stocking until the end of time. And not, like, the good kind of coal. We’re talking the crappiest sort of lignite that’s out there.

All right, noted.

* With everything above taken as read, the thing about elves is that they’re not actually human, so most labor and employment laws don’t apply to them.

If elves don’t qualify as human under the law, what are they?

* Under Canadian law, they’re technically animals.

Animals.

* Yes. Just like reindeer. And technically, under Canadian law, Santa’s Workshop qualifies as a federally inspected farm, the oversight of which is handled by Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

So, technically, Santa’s elves have as many rights as veal.

* I’m offended at this comparison, and also, yes.

Okay, so, that feels icky in a whole lot of ways. Maybe Leff Gezos was on to something.

* It’s obviously not optimal from the public relations point of view.

Now I’m imagining tiny elves in jaunty caps, making toys in crates.

* It’s not like that.

Convince me.

* Well, among other things, Santa’s Workshop is a union shop.

Really.

* Yes. Affiliated with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

Postal workers?

* The CUPW is a serious union. You cross them, they’ll mess you up.

And the CUPW doesn’t mind the elves technically aren’t human.

* The elves pay their dues like anyone else. They’re good.

Santa’s okay with a union shop?

* Santa believes in the dignity of labor, and wishes to avoid any potential elf uprisings.

That’s… good to know.

* Seriously, elves are vicious. They look adorable, but get on their bad side just once and they. Will. Cut. You.

I’ll remember.

* You better.

What other legal issues do you help Santa with?

* Well, one major issue – probably the biggest issue, really – is policing Santa’s intellectual property.

Santa has IP?

* Or course Santa has IP. In a larger, existential sense, it could be said that at his root, Santa is nothing but IP.

I always assumed Santa was in the public domain.

* It’s a common misconception. In fact NicolasNorth LLC is the repository of numerous trade and service marks which we are obliged by law to vigorously defend.

So, Santa’s red suit –

* The red suit device is trademarked.

And the red cap –

* Covered as part of the red suit device and also legally its own trademark. So’s the beard, before you ask.

And the sleigh –

* The sleigh and eight of the reindeer and also all of their names, trademarked.

Not Rudolph?

* The issue of Rudolph is a matter of ongoing litigation and I can’t comment on it at this time.

You’re suing over Rudolph?

* I’m sorry, I really can’t comment.

But –

* Look, do you want coal this year? Because you’re heading that direction.

Sorry.

* Let’s move on.

You say you have to defend Santa’s intellectual property, but I see red suits and beards everywhere.

* Clearly it’s in Santa’s interest to have his trademarks be ubiquitous.

But if people are using your trademarks for free, aren’t you at risk for losing them?

* Who said they’re using them for free?

They’re not?

* Absolutely not. NicolasNorth LLC gets a licensing fee for every red suit you see.

How much?

* It’s a sliding scale, based on several factors, including business income, charitable status, intended use of the trademark, and whether the person who is wearing the suit intends to be naughty or nice in it.

People are naughty in a Santa suit?

* Some people are. Santa doesn’t judge people for their kinks, but he does expect them to pay for them.

And people pay without complaint.

* Most do. Some don’t. Which is why Santa retains us.

And if they’re still balky after they talk to you?

* We send in the elves.

One more question, if you don’t mind.

* Not at all.

Santa is well known for making a list, and checking it twice.

* For the purposes of appropriate gift distribution, yes.

It does raise questions of how Santa gathers that information in the first place.

* I’m not sure what you mean.

I mean the idea of Santa as an all-knowing arbiter of right and wrong, knowing when someone is sleeping or awake and so on. Some might say that’s both judge-y and creepy.

* Only the people who want coal in their stocking.

Well, see, that sounds like a threat right there.

* I don’t see how, but all right. Let’s say that there were legitimate concerns about Santa’s methods. First, I would remind people that Santa’s services are opt in; you choose whether to have Santa part of your seasonal holiday experience.

I don’t remember opting in.

* Well, you probably didn’t. But your parents did, on your behalf. And when they did, part of the user agreement was that Santa – which currently legally means NicolasNorth LLC – is allowed to collect data from various sources in order to make a determination of your gift worthiness, using what we in the industry call the “N/N Matrix”, a multi-dimensional tool using constantly updated algorithms for a precise and accurate placing of each person on the gifting spectrum.

That sounds complicated and not great, from a privacy standpoint.

* I can assure you that NicolasNorth LLC does not share your information with third parties.

How does Santa collect this information in the first place?

* In the old days, kids would write letters to Santa, and we also had strategically placed employees to personally evaluate children.

Spies?

* Mall Santas.

But malls are failing left and right these days.

* They are, and kids don’t send letters to Santa as often anymore. Those information avenues are closing. Fortunately Santa foresaw this problem, and made some key moves to assure a vast new data source.

The CIA.

* Jeez, no. Talk about liability issues! And remember, this is supposed to be opt in. Fortunately there’s a place people go these days to voluntarily expose every aspect of their lives in a wildly promiscuous manner the CIA could previously only dream of.

Oh, God, you’re talking about Facebook.

* Six percent owned by NicolasNorth LLC, by the way.

You’re saying Santa Claus is a tech billionaire.

* Like I said, Santa made some key moves. And it wasn’t like he wasn’t a billionaire before.

What do you mean?

* Where do you think Santa gets all that coal?

Santa is a coal baron?

* He’s divested. Mostly. Our advice. Again, liability issues.

I’m still unsettled at the idea Santa is data mining my social media posts.

* He’s legally allowed to. It’s right there in the user agreement.

I didn’t read the user agreement.

* No one reads the user agreement. Doesn’t mean it’s not there.

Any final advice for people wanting to stay on Santa’s good side, legally speaking?

* Pay your Santa suit license fees, drop hints about what your kids want for Christmas in your Facebook posts, and don’t blame Santa if you have a pokey chimney, that’s just basic home maintenance. And be good, for goodness’ sake.

And what about you? Have you been bad or good this year?

* I mean, I’m a lawyer.

Point taken.

* It’s fine. I could use the coal.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you ever want to see a look of sheer terror ...
(a) be of a particular hirsute appearance
(b) carry a small notepad in your pocket (flip-tops seem better)
(c) upon encountering a mis-behaving child (extra impact if in company with their parents)
(d) whip out the notepad and a pen, flip pad to random page
(e) tilt head at slight angle towards child so you're looking over your glasses (if you have them)
(f) raise that eyebrow
(g) wait for about a beat of two seconds
(h) if child hasn't *frozen* in place and continues to "act up", scribble a note
(i) flip pad closed, give parents a nod, and continue on your way.

Effect works most of the year, but mid-November and onward seem to garner the greater reactions.

--dick (ho, ho (tm))

lindenengineering

Well in spite of the Santa Clause or Father Christmas smoke screen post this came by my way today.

The sender stated are you a follower of Rand Paul he is stating more or less what you posted today?
So its official by Pompeo, The Trump Gov Lies cheats, and steals
An open bare faced admission at my eldest son's university .(Grad in International Business )

If this isn't warning to the American worker, I don't know what is, and its an ominous sign for businesses as well!
Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifY3sqrmXQ

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
With a little patience, America is winning. :cheers:

Stocks Hit Record Highs As U.S. Signs Phase One Trade Deal With China

Sergei Klebnikov Forbes Staff

Markets I cover breaking news, with a focus on money and markets.

The Phase One agreement marks a cease-fire in the long-running trade war.
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty ImagesTopline: President Donald Trump and Chinese Vice Premier Liu He signed the long-awaited Phase One trade deal in an elaborate ceremony at the White House on Wednesday, marking a cease-fire in the 19-month-long U.S.-China trade war and boosting the stock market to new record highs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...phase-one-trade-deal-with-china/#26606a3b1ea8

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!

lindenengineering

It all turned out to be a nothing burger.........

Still No Signs of Tariffs Raising Prices for Consumers

Getty ImagesJohn Carney19 Feb 202044 10:07
It has been five months since the latest round of tariff hikes on Chinese goods went into effect and there are still no significant indications that U.S. consumers are paying higher prices for goods.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2...daily&utm_campaign=20200219&utm_content=Final
That is not true.
Fake news
I/We import , I/We pay tariffs , I/We pass it onto the customer. He/She pays!
Dennis

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
That is not true.
Fake news
I/We import , I/We pay tariffs , I/We pass it onto the customer. He/She pays!
Dennis
Oh brother!!!
Sometimes it annoys me when people quote members on my "ignore" list. Sometimes it is entertaining.

Breitbart, no less. :crazy:

lindenengineering

Oh brother!!!
Sometimes it annoys me when people quote members on my "ignore" list. Sometimes it is entertaining.

Breitbart, no less. :crazy:
Yes well there is a much bigger story behind this and the fact of the matter is that many importers are choosing to absorb the tariff in fear of losing a customer base .
Now if I mention I/We import its about major auto parts that can't be found here in the USA.
Hyundai medium truck parts I get from Mexico.

Exotic and hard to find Euro car parts come from the UK & Europe .
I pay tariffs on all there items and it delays arrivals by as much as a week in some cases.

BUT I will open the curtains to tariff absorption say in luxury female leather goods like bags & purses.

On a display you see a popular designer woman's purse in Dillards or Neiman Marcus and the ticket price is $150.
How much was that bag to buy wholesale in China?

Lets see if brighbollacks news can tell our Flimflamman about all that goings on behind curtain.
More later if our Trumpeter can trumpet some more B/S propaganda.
Dennis
Dennis

Top Bottom