Drive shaft bearing failure - covered by the warranty?

pilotarix

Hi all,

After a couple of days with snow and ice on the road and using the four-wheel drive more extensive than during the last couple of month I started hearing a whistling noise that seems to come from behind the front seats. I took the car to the MB dealership and they were actually very fast in figuring out the problem. Just after a few hours they called me and told me that it's the drive shaft support bearing that is bad and they have to replace it.
So far all good and fine. However, this is a 2016 Sprinter 4x4, and I have only 42K miles on the odometer. Hence I think that's pretty early for a part like that to become a problem and I am wondering if that is covered under warranty?
I bet many of you have been through this since there are even youtube videos about it. Any experience with the warranty in that regard?

Thank you,
Christoph

Have 2015 4x4 with approximately 32k and have the same problem. The problem was caused by out of aligned carrier bearings from the factory. Will provide more details after the fix, the Sprinter is heading to the MB dealership next week for the fix. Might be too late for yours to see if there was mis-alignment before your fix. Hope it goes well.

pilotarix

Hi all,

so mine is fixed all is fine no noise anymore, and yes it was the bearing.
I had to pay nothing; still, under warranty, I think I have messed up miles with kilometer...
Anyhow, I think about buying the extended warranty might be worth it.

Thanks
Christoph

Mickyfin

It's not a difficult or expensive part to replace on your own.
My local dealer told me that when they renew a rear wheel bearing, they also renew the drive shaft as it comes in one piece, the thing is, I purchased new hub bearings on their own, and asked the garage to fit them, but they refused, stating they have never replaced a hub bearing on its own, and when they first new, they only fit with new drive shaft. Does this sound like they are trying to make more money?

doctorzaius

My local dealer told me that when they renew a rear wheel bearing, they also renew the drive shaft as it comes in one piece, the thing is, I purchased new hub bearings on their own, and asked the garage to fit them, but they refused, stating they have never replaced a hub bearing on its own, and when they first new, they only fit with new drive shaft. Does this sound like they are trying to make more money?
I'm having trouble making sense of what the dealer told you. The drive shaft support bearing is midway down the drive shaft. I'm not sure how that could possibly be related to the hub bearing.

Mickyfin

I'm having trouble making sense of what the dealer told you. The drive shaft support bearing is midway down the drive shaft. I'm not sure how that could possibly be related to the hub bearing.
Yeah, sorry about that, I was still waking up when I replied to this thread, my bad.

Top Bottom