View Tv from swivel cab seats

pgustaf249

It appears that the Coach House 240 DQ or the 241XL DQ has the ideal floor plan for our first (unfortunately not anytime soon) RV. With the TV being above the cab I'm assuming if you're sitting in the reversed swivel cab seats you won;t be able to see the TV. Someone please tell me the TV swings out such that one could watch it from the swivel cab seats. From what I can tell the TV position would be a major disappointment.

Last edited:

MotorCity57

I am also considering a Coach House RV - model 240 DT or 241XL DT (Dinette + twin beds) and I agree the main TV is not in a good location. Basically, only one dinette seat has a good view of the TV. A better location would be on the wall directly aft of the dinette, facing forward. This would allow use of the swivel front seats to watch TV. The location might not be possible on the 241XL due to the slideout.
John

chromisdesigns

Delete the tv, keep mount and electronics, get a compact projector for existing tv mount, and either pull-down or folding screen and hang from overhead at rear of galley. You have two "theater seats" (swivel fronts) plus one dinette seat that can see the screen.

Wall mount tv will not work with slide.

pgustaf249

I like the location of the TV on the Winnebago View. I don't know if a similar location is even possible in a Coach House. Maybe some of the CH owners could fill me in on that.

chromisdesigns

I like the location of the TV on the Winnebago View. I don't know if a similar location is even possible in a Coach House. Maybe some of the CH owners could fill me in on that.
We looked at so many layouts that I don't recall offhand where it is on a View. Coach House mounts it facing the rear in the top of the cab. Option for a second one in rear cabin, exact location depends on what bed layout you choose. Most owners apparently get both of them. Not being TV people, we got none.

In the original rear twin layout, with rear bath, I suppose you could have a swing out bracket so you could watch from the beds or reverse it to swing out facing the
Main cabin. With our mid-bath version, if you did that you would need binoculars to watch from the front seats it would be so far away!

If it was just me, I think I would go the mini projector route to watch movies. SWMBO has no interest, though.

PS - another thing I don't like about swing-out anything is it's just another thing to forget to secure or to come loose on the road and go whipping around in the turns. Bad enough already when I forget to latch a drawer...BANG!...aw nuts, not again?!

Swing- out tv would be just what I need...

Last edited:

chromisdesigns

It appears that the Coach House 240 DQ or the 241XL DQ has the ideal floor plan for our first (unfortunately not anytime soon) RV. With the TV being above the cab I'm assuming if you're sitting in the reversed swivel cab seats you won;t be able to see the TV. Someone please tell me the TV swings out such that one could watch it from the swivel cab seats. From what I can tell the TV position would be a major disappointment.
I am sitting at home visualizing this, and I think you might could get away with a smallish flat- panel TV mounted picture-frame style on the front-facing wall of the slide itself above the dinette bench. There is some space there. It would have to be pretty thin, though, or else someone would always be banging the back if their head on it sitting in the bench. Then you also have the issue of power and signal cables in the slide cavity. I would not do it. Don't know if the factory would or not.

I still like the projector idea, and you could use it for your mobile office presentations as well...:rad:

MotorCity57

I was discussing the TV location with Coach House, and I learned that for 2015 they have moved the TV towards the passenger side. Here is a photo from their web site showing the new TV location. Frankly, I don't think it's an improvement, especially for the dinette floor plans; you still can't use the swivel seats to watch TV.
John

Attachments

pgustaf249

I was discussing the TV location with Coach House, and I learned that for 2015 they have moved the TV towards the passenger side. Here is a photo from their web site showing the new TV location. Frankly, I don't think it's an improvement, especially for the dinette floor plans; you still can't use the swivel seats to watch TV.
John
I agree. That placement doesn't seems to solve the problem of viewing from the swivel seats. You can see the TV placement in the floor plan of the View which I mentioned in a previous post:

http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2015/view/floorplans/

I have been inside a View and that placement (on the wall above the sink), with an arm that allows it to swing out from the wall will allow those in the swivel seats and those on the opposite side of the RV, whether they're on a sofa or dinette, to see it very well.

In the Coach House 241DQ floor plan:

http://www.coachhouserv.com/model-241xl.php

I can't tell from the drawing if a similar placement is feasible. I haven't been in a Coach House so it's hard for me to tell.

chromisdesigns

I agree. That placement doesn't seems to solve the problem of viewing from the swivel seats. You can see the TV placement in the floor plan of the View which I mentioned in a previous post:

http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2015/view/floorplans/

I have been inside a View and that placement (on the wall above the sink), with an arm that allows it to swing out from the wall will allow those in the swivel seats and those on the opposite side of the RV, whether they're on a sofa or dinette, to see it very well.

In the Coach House 241DQ floor plan:

http://www.coachhouserv.com/model-241xl.php

I can't tell from the drawing if a similar placement is feasible. I haven't been in a Coach House so it's hard for me to tell.
There are a couple of deep, skinny storage cubbyholes above the sink. We keep a roll of paper towels in the lower one and the cat food and bowls up top.

Those would be lost if tv mount was there, plus whoever does the dishes would have their face in the tv all the time. I guess it might be doable, but only with a small tv.

pgustaf249

This will sound crazy, but I wonder if the TV could be mounted on the ceiling right above the door, using a mounting bracket that swings down to position the TV in an upright position.

chromisdesigns

This will sound crazy, but I wonder if the TV could be mounted on the ceiling right above the door, using a mounting bracket that swings down to position the TV in an upright position.
I need to go over and clean the rig in the next few days--I will try to remember to measure that space for you. Headroom and tv width are going to be the main constraints, plus obstructing the exit door whenever you are watching tv.

chromisdesigns

OK, here are the dimensions and a little description of that space in my rig:

The cabin ceiling slopes up in a curve from the door inward to the
Main part of the cabin. There is 36" clear between the front cabinet and galley side, across the door opening. The doorway itself measured 26" wide at the door shade valance above the door, and the valance itself is about 5" deep.

From the bottom of the fixed cabin step to the overhead is 73". 68" from the floor surface at the top of the step to overhead directly above. 60" from floor at that point to bottom of shade valance.

The diagonal measurement across the sloping part of the ceiling in the entrance is about 18". This might be the critical dimension as far as
Mounting a tv goes.

I think you would need a pullout, tilt and swivel mount to have any chance of positioning the screen to be visible from both front seats and dinette.

Depending on how tight you could get it to retract into that wedge-shaped area under the diagonal ceiling, you might wind up having to duck under it in the entrance going in or out.

Hope this helps. My vote is still for a projector!

pgustaf249

OK, here are the dimensions and a little description of that space in my rig:

The cabin ceiling slopes up in a curve from the door inward to the
Main part of the cabin. There is 36" clear between the front cabinet and galley side, across the door opening. The doorway itself measured 26" wide at the door shade valance above the door, and the valance itself is about 5" deep.

From the bottom of the fixed cabin step to the overhead is 73". 68" from the floor surface at the top of the step to overhead directly above. 60" from floor at that point to bottom of shade valance.

The diagonal measurement across the sloping part of the ceiling in the entrance is about 18". This might be the critical dimension as far as
Mounting a tv goes.

I think you would need a pullout, tilt and swivel mount to have any chance of positioning the screen to be visible from both front seats and dinette.

Depending on how tight you could get it to retract into that wedge-shaped area under the diagonal ceiling, you might wind up having to duck under it in the entrance going in or out.

Hope this helps. My vote is still for a projector!
Thanks for going out of your way for the measurements. I'm thinking the projector may be better than over the door. Thinking about the position of the projection screen makes me wonder if a flat screen tv could be placed where the screen would be flat against the ceiling and then swing down when needed. AC ducts might be in the way.

chromisdesigns

Thanks for going out of your way for the measurements. I'm thinking the projector may be better than over the door. Thinking about the position of the projection screen makes me wonder if a flat screen tv could be placed where the screen would be flat against the ceiling and then swing down when needed. AC ducts might be in the way.
Yeah it is pretty busy up there, not so much the ducts, though as the AC unit itself.

chromisdesigns

Here's a thought -- Coach House already fits nice MCD roller shades for all the windows. I bet they could hang one more just in front of the door to the rear cabin. Get some video screen paint and turn the shade into a proper screen surface. It's not too far-fetched that maybe MCD could special order one with screen material to begin with...?

pgustaf249

Here's a thought -- Coach House already fits nice MCD roller shades for all the windows. I bet they could hang one more just in front of the door to the rear cabin. Get some video screen paint and turn the shade into a proper screen surface. It's not too far-fetched that maybe MCD could special order one with screen material to begin with...?
That's an interesting idea! In fact it may be the best discussed so far. That would put it in a position similar to the TV in the Leisure Travel Unity 24IB. However it's done, maximizing the number of places one can sit to watch the TV will be on thing I will be looking for when we get our RV.

Top Bottom