Recent purchase, introducing #179

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
I've been on these forums for a few years, ever so slowly building a T1N Sprinter 416 into a 4WD monster. But due to lack of time with a business that grew too much, that project hasn't moved forward much in the past couple years. Needing something to haul around my crew of three pups, I decided on finding a 'cheap' Sprinter Westy. Of course 'cheap' comes with lots of work unless one is extremely lucky! I found this one in Indianapolis, owned by an 80-year-old gent who was at one time president of the local Mercedes club, he owned it most of its life. I figured it had to be in great shape - wrong! Almost every system had something wrong, central electronics non-operational, shades broken, bits loose or removed, screws gone and bolts loose everywhere, aaa batteries stuck in the seat tracks, dead batteries, lost keys (except one ignition), generally filthy and a little rust. BUT it drove absolutely perfect on the road 2200 miles home in September.
I began the daunting task of fixing little things...then one Saturday a few weeks ago I couldn't stand looking at all the sucky things the US version had changed from the Euro James Cook, and I removed almost all of it that day. I guess you could say I am committed now! It's coming along and hopefully everything will be in place in the next month for a cross-country road trip.

Progress photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7bqJLuAPVBfXfnys8
Stay tuned for upgrade reports! I'm having a local plastics shop vacuum mold a new shorter shower pan to match the cassette toilet, replacing the water heater with a Propex Malaga, and other fun stuff.

Attachments

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Well, the more stuff you have to fix, the better for the rest of us when you share your findings (or if you can sell the replacements).

2. There are many former and current owners of various VW Westfalias here who may be familiar with your restorations and other work on the various VW websites.

For others, here is #179's business.

http://westyventures.com/

His page on various rigs has not yet been updated to include this Westfalia #179.

http://westyventures.com/rigs.html

Last edited:

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
Those are all Seitz S4 windows. The corners were cut and reshaped to fit the larger radius of the Sprinter window indentation.

Riptide

Man, you are committed!

Or should be committed!

If you decide to sell the microwave from the Westy, lemme know.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to tell what was done by Airstream's contractor. That asshole was beyond incompetent.

Love that Karmann.

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
Man, you are committed!

Or should be committed!

If you decide to sell the microwave from the Westy, lemme know.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to tell what was done by Airstream's contractor. That asshole was beyond incompetent.

Love that Karmann.

The whole pile is for sale / giveaway. Ad in the Sprinter parts for sale forum. I don't want to ship anything unless paid for my time + shipping cost.

grozier

Well done! Looking forward to seeing your progress. What are you planning to cap the holes from the generator control panel, etc? We still need to do that.

Do you have a source for RAL 9006 “white aluminum” paint, or a close match?

Ted

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
I'm placing a Victron battery monitor, Propex Malaga water heater control panel, and a couple USB/12V outlets in an aluminum panel to cover over the holes.

Paint, for? You can take a sample to an automotive paint place and they will mix a spray can to match.

Those are all Seitz S4 windows. The corners were cut and reshaped to fit the larger radius of the Sprinter window indentation.
Interesting....the window looks great. I have a few questions if I may

1. I imagine cutting the polyurethane exterior frame was pretty simple with maybe a jig saw and some final shaping with a belt sander...does that sound about right ? Is the polyurethane frame solid black through and through ? I noticed on the drivers side the windows have a silver colored bit in the corners...

2. were any modifications or cutting needed to the interior shade and screen assembly ? Do you have a picture of the interior ?

3. Did you order the windows from LeisureShopDirect out of the UK or did you find a good place to order from here in the States ?

4...and finally what size window did you order to fit the sliding door ?

Thank you for your time.

PS. If your're still in need, I think I may have one or two of those flush nuts floating around after my demo.

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
1) Yes, Bosch reciprocating saw with a fine blade. Shaping done by small belt sander and 120 grit belt for most of it, then careful finish by hand. The photos show some fading of the matte paint I touched them up with, that will be repainted eventually.

2) Not yet - I haven't had time to begin building the interior.

3) The windows came from a retailer on ebay.de. Shipped over inside a truck I bought a few years ago. It might be very costly to ship over otherwise. There are some US manufacturers now making dual-pane windows that are very high quality, I can't remember the name but a client 'Overkill Campers' in Bend OR uses them in his builds.

4) I can't find the paperwork on the windows right now, but the size was a perfect fit for the outside dimensions of the frame, except of course the corners.
(I definitely need a couple of those flush nuts)

Thanks for the replies Karl.

I just sent an email to Overkill asking for the window manufacturer's contact info.

If these are the flush nuts you need, I will drop them in an envelope to you ? Is the address on your website the correct one ? The price will be a tour of that Karmann when I come through Fort Rock as soon as I finish refitting out my Westfalia. :cheers:

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
Yes, that would be great, the PO Box 123 is the best address, thank you! I might be interested in some other parts if you are selling off all. The Karmann tour is always open for those interested. If it only had 50-70% more power I wouldn't even be messing with this Westy. I have a new 2.8 mTDI engine but no time, that's what led to the Westy and unexpected more work!

grozier

Paint, for? You can take a sample to an automotive paint place and they will mix a spray can to match.
Thanks! I would use this paint for the scratches in the counter trim (would need to sand and repaint all) and the rusted trim at the bottom of the bathroom wall, seen from outside.

Yes, that would be great, the PO Box 123 is the best address, thank you! I might be interested in some other parts if you are selling off all. The Karmann tour is always open for those interested. If it only had 50-70% more power I wouldn't even be messing with this Westy. I have a new 2.8 mTDI engine but no time, that's what led to the Westy and unexpected more work!
I mail out these two flush nuts to you today.

Yes, everything that was inside my Westfalia except the two cab seats, the parts for the upper berth and maybe the drawer/door latches is For Sale. The two upper windows and gull wing covers potentially may come up for sale too...the final design will be unfolding for quite sometime yet.

Last edited:

Top Bottom