CustomSpooling

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
After running the new tune for awhile and providing CustomSpooling with some feedback, I recently received a revised tune to reflash into my ECU. While the initial tune was good, I would get an intermittent check engine light related to some residual issues related to removing my unicorn. CS dug deeper into the ECU maps and came up with the fix to eliminate this issue in the revised tune. I don't have enough miles on the new tune to report on fuel economy but I can say that the engine is still running smooth and the extra power gained from the original tune is still there.

flman

I hear Alden put alot of effort into your prototype tune and you got your monies worth out of it.:thumbup:

CustomSpooling

Custom ECU tuning.
I hear Alden put alot of effort into your prototype tune and you got your monies worth out of it.:thumbup:
I have done a fair few since Peters. All are going well, no more DPF faults or lights and no more regenerations. Majority of customers who opted for DPF removal where wanting it for using some bio diesel and not having to worry about expensive particulate filter faults and replacements.

Sprinterer

We have been running DPF delete customized tuning on our 08 Sprinter for few weeks now. A simple procedure of plug in a small scanner to the main computer worked like a magic. No more check engine light every few hundred miles due to faulty codes related to emission, no more clogged up EGR pipes leading to EGR problems. From very moment it was installed the van feels way more lively, has more power, accelerates better and runs perfect. It seemed like before the van was pulling a huge rock behind it and now the rock is gone. You are welcome to buy a new $4000 DPF or try to clean the one you have - neither is worth it. I tried it. New filter is way to expensive and cleaning only gets rid of the problem for few weeks not permanently. If you want a permanent fix, CS works. After installation I can't tell a difference when it comes to emissions either. I have placed a cloth towel to see if there is more dirt coming out of the pipe and its no different then before. Furthermore, there is no additional smoke coming out when accelerating like seen in the old Sprinters. I'm still working on updated number for new fuel economy and will post them soon but do not hesitate to buy in on this, you won't regret it. You will get everything that is promised from CustomSpooling no questions asked. Customer service is top notch and the whole process is very easy.

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
I have done a fair few since Peters. All are going well, no more DPF faults or lights and no more regenerations. Majority of customers who opted for DPF removal where wanting it for using some bio diesel and not having to worry about expensive particulate filter faults and replacements.

If I want to return it to the original settings, would I have to get the DPF reinstalled for the sensors to read correctly??

I live in California and don't know much about the emission laws so my van is pretty stock.

Also, if I do have the program modifications made, will this affect me when I bring my van in for service should it need it??

This looks really interesting.

talkinghorse43

After installation I can't tell a difference when it comes to emissions either.
Maybe you can't see it, but if there is no EGR flow, then NOX will be higher. If no EGR, the exhaust will smell different; like getting a whiff of the fume from an open bottle of concentrated nitric acid.

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
I'll take a crack at answering your questions since I also live in California.

The answer to your first question is yes. If you return to the original ECU settings, you must reinstall your DPF or your Sprinter will blow black smoke when it tries to regenerate the DPF. You will get numerous error codes as well. You can also get a CustomSpooling tune and keep the DPF intact. In fact CS has told me that he can produce a tune with more power if the DPF is intact.

Presently, emissions testing for light duty diesels in California is pretty basic and is required at 2 year intervals. They do a visual check to identify any aftermarket parts that could affect emissions, they look to see if the emissions controls are intact, they look at the dash to see if the check engine light is on, and they do a smoke test by backing your van up against a white wall to see how much smoke is emitted when they snap the throttle open. They do not test/analyze tailpipe emissions, they do not hook up the Sprinter to a scanner, and they do not test individual emission control components.

As for your last question, it depends on what type of service/warranty work is needed and the relationship you have with your dealer. For routine maintenance, it should not be an issue.

If I want to return it to the original settings, would I have to get the DPF reinstalled for the sensors to read correctly??

I live in California and don't know much about the emission laws so my van is pretty stock.

Also, if I do have the program modifications made, will this affect me when I bring my van in for service should it need it??

This looks really interesting.

glas1700

I had my CA emission test done last week and it differs somewhat from your description. Maybe it was the first Sprinter the tester had ever done, not sure. He didn't do a test for exhaust smoke, but did connect his test equipment to the OBDII port and let the engine idle for the test. He didn't appear to have a clue about how to proceed because he called me over to let him know about all of the emission equipment that's installed, so he could mark it as passed on his screen.

The entire test makes no sense except to generate income for the test facility and the state.

Byron
07 Navion

Presently, emissions testing for light duty diesels in California is pretty basic and is required at 2 year intervals. They do a visual check to identify any aftermarket parts that could affect emissions, they look to see if the emissions controls are intact, they look at the dash to see if the check engine light is on, and they do a smoke test by backing your van up against a white wall to see how much smoke is emitted when they snap the throttle open. They do not test/analyze tailpipe emissions, they do not hook up the Sprinter to a scanner, and they do not test individual emission control components.

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Sounds like your tester is not familiar with the protocol as documented by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). Here is a link to their training curriculum http://bartraining.articulate-onlin...4114d53f9&Popped=True&InitialPage=player.html

If a log-in page appears after clicking the link, just insert any name and press enter. You can even take a quiz at the end and if you pass, you can print your own certificate of completion!

I had my CA emission test done last week and it differs somewhat from your description. Maybe it was the first Sprinter the tester had ever done, not sure. He didn't do a test for exhaust smoke, but did connect his test equipment to the OBDII port and let the engine idle for the test. He didn't appear to have a clue about how to proceed because he called me over to let him know about all of the emission equipment that's installed, so he could mark it as passed on his screen.

The entire test makes no sense except to generate income for the test facility and the state.

Byron
07 Navion

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In Washington state, the "full sniff" versus SNAP test decision fir diesels is based upon GVW.
The flip-point is 8500 gross, so even my 118" Passenger (8550) gets the SNAP.
...but they do stick the probe up the pipe after the SNAP, and my report card listed a few numbers.
(they did not go through the full rev-and-hold for the sniffing portion)

They did *not* require OBD connection, but it was an option for detecting RPM
(they tried (and failed) to get it through the cigarette socket?? Maybe for gasoline, but that wouldn't work for diesel)

--dick

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Not surprising that different States have different requirements. In California, the mandated test equipment apparently does not work on late model OBD2 diesels. Personally, if I have to be subjected to testing, I like the way California does it. Makes it easy to comply:thumbup:

In Washington state, the "full sniff" versus SNAP test decision fir diesels is based upon GVW.
The flip-point is 8500 gross, so even my 118" Passenger (8550) gets the SNAP.
...but they do stick the probe up the pipe after the SNAP, and my report card listed a few numbers.
(they did not go through the full rev-and-hold for the sniffing portion)

They did *not* require OBD connection, but it was an option for detecting RPM
(they tried (and failed) to get it through the cigarette socket?? Maybe for gasoline, but that wouldn't work for diesel)

--dick

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations

The answer to your first question is yes. If you return to the original ECU settings, you must reinstall your DPF or your Sprinter will blow black smoke when it tries to regenerate the DPF. You will get numerous error codes as well. You can also get a CustomSpooling tune and keep the DPF intact. In fact CS has told me that he can produce a tune with more power if the DPF is intact.

As for your last question, it depends on what type of service/warranty work is needed and the relationship you have with your dealer. For routine maintenance, it should not be an issue.

Cool. But when I decide to do a CS tuning with the DPF intact, there's still the possibility of it clogging up, correct? The ECM will probably tell me that anyway.

Actually, I'm looking for a tune to maximize fuel economy more than having additional power. The power in the van is just fine. What's the most mpg can I expect from this tune? Is 28-30 mpg possible? Would it be better with the DPF delete?

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Wildimaginations, I'm also in the bay area, if you want, we can meet somewhere in the Bay area and you can drive my Sprinter with the CS tune. Also, check your PMs as I have sent you some additional info in response to your questions.

Cool. But when I decide to do a CS tuning with the DPF intact, there's still the possibility of it clogging up, correct? The ECM will probably tell me that anyway.

Actually, I'm looking for a tune to maximize fuel economy more than having additional power. The power in the van is just fine. What's the most mpg can I expect from this tune? Is 28-30 mpg possible? Would it be better with the DPF delete?

flman

Byron
07 Navion
DING DING DING!!!! :cheers: :rad: :clapping:

Right that is the means of the EPA and CARBs existence, $revenue$. Do you think they really care about the environment whole heartedly, or their pay checks? :hmmm:

Top Bottom