procedure to swing out radiator?

surlyoldbill

I looked in the write-ups and the manual but haven't found anything. I'm going to replace the idler pulleys and inspect the balancer and other stuff and would rather have easy access to the front of the engine. I've seen pictures of the radiator swung forward from one side. I assume I have to drain coolant to disconnect some hoses.

any links?

Check my OM647 Coolant Pump replacement write-up. I believe that someone posted info for that there.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127200#post127200

Not that you asked...

Once the cooling fan and shroud is out of the way it isn't too bad for access. I would not mess with my rust belt 2004 radiator position. I worry about disturbing the rusted fittings. My less rusty 2006... maybe for that one. Your California Sprinter should be fine.

vic

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

Thanks, I think I found that post. I realize that I'll have to replace the coolant, which is a good thing because it should be. I'm not sure about tranny fluid, and there was some talk about purging the AC system, but I think that was to replace the AC compressor. I'm using this opportunity to clean out everything that might be stuck between the radiators, too.

... I'm using this opportunity to clean out everything that might be stuck between the radiators, too.
Cleaning between the stack will be more effective. In my experience the individual radiators can be separated for cleaning without disconnecting any lines.

Personally I would never open a properly operating A/C system unless absolutely necessary. There's just too many possible things to go wrong once it is opened and needs to be evacuated and re-charged. If it isn't f'n with you, don't f with it.

:2cents: vic

surlyoldbill

Turns out that I didn't have to drain anything except the coolant; the other hoses are all flexible enough to move quite a ways once the charge air and big coolant hoses are free.

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
To give better access to the front of the engine, I suggest you do what I did. I split the fan shroud. Once it's done, access is easy. I used Riv-Nuts, but I'm sure there are better ways. This has worked for me. Remove 4 small allen head bolts and the top of the shroud separates from the bottom. Good luck!

Attachments

To give better access to the front of the engine, I suggest you do what I did. I split the fan shroud. Once it's done, access is easy. I used Riv-Nuts, but I'm sure there are better ways. This has worked for me. Remove 4 small allen head bolts and the top of the shroud separates from the bottom. Good luck!

good idea :thumbup:

surlyoldbill

Splitting the fan shroud still doesn't allow you to get a drill/driver between the front of the engine and the radiator. It wasn't very difficult to swing it out of the way, and the NEXT time I do it I'll be able to do it in about 15-20 minutes. The only downside is having to drain the coolant.

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
Splitting the fan shroud still doesn't allow you to get a drill/driver between the front of the engine and the radiator. It wasn't very difficult to swing it out of the way, and the NEXT time I do it I'll be able to do it in about 15-20 minutes. The only downside is having to drain the coolant.
It gives you access to everything that is bolted on to the front of the engine. Belt removal is easy, as well as pulleys, idler, and even the HB bolt. Of course, if you broke a bolt, the access would be limited when drilling it out. For such little effort in splitting the shroud, a lot of ease in access is gained.

surlyoldbill

My slender girlish hands and wrists already fit behind the radiator shroud enough to mess with pulleys, belts, HP pump, tensioner, fan, and other things I've worked on. But I like the mod, I should have done that yesterday when I had stuff apart.

cloead

genius

i have to do this some day

Top Bottom