Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Chandlerazman

Default Adding extra analog gauges

Has anyone successfully added oil pressure and water temp gauges to their NCV3's? I have an overhead console that is blank and begging for some gauges. It would be nice to monitor the engine's functions. I would like to install an oil temp, water temp and voltmeter gauge.
Any ideas or links would be great. Once again, thanks to the knowledge pool here
Chandlerazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
gary 32
07 ncv3 pv

Default Re: Adding extra analog gauges

not an exact answer to your question but an easier and possibly more useful option
Search: scan gauge 2 questions
gary 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
boardster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary 32 View Post
not an exact answer to your question but an easier and possibly more useful option
Search: scan gauge 2 questions
Gary's right, for far less cash, and a ten second "sender" installation, ScanGaugeII will give you the digital voltmeter and water temp, among all kinds of other data.
Even the airline pilots retired by law for old age are thinking about adding digital gauges to their private planes as BACK-UP for their primary digital gauges!
Things have changed fast, I thought I was the last analog grouch, now they hardly even manufacture the stuff!
boardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,525 Times in 1,916 Posts

For engine oil, there's no convenient place to mount a sending unit for motor oil pressure on an NCV3's OM642, 3.0L diesel engine.

In fact, MB technicians use a modified oil filter housing cap when they need to know the oil pressure.

I forget the part number, but this modified cap is used as a "tool," to take oil pressure during diagnosis, then removed and replaced with the standard, black oil filter housing cap.

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
bikergar

+1 for the Scanguage

Keep Doing What You Did, and You'll Keep Getting What You Got...
2008 2500 CRD 144 inch High Roof Crew Van
bikergar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
talkinghorse43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
For engine oil, there's no convenient place to mount a sending unit for motor oil pressure on an NCV3's OM642, 3.0L diesel engine.
Just what we thought for the I5 until rlent found the tap. Don't know what the v6 looks like, but I'd very carefully investigate the block between the oil pump and the oil cooler/filter. Maybe there's a tap?
talkinghorse43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

I've been all over my engine. Chris (SprinterUK) had the techs at his dealership trying to find a screw/cap/plug thing in the MB parts catalog. They couldn't find it.

Then again, we thought that resetting ASSYST was impossible w/o a scan tool. Dukepilot posted the instructions - and no they don't work on my Sprinter with steering wheel buttons - but I suppose anything's possible, eventually.

I am right about the oil pressure tool, though. Two MB techs confirmed it.

-Jon

PS: The oil cooler's in the V of the engine - not anywhere near the oil filter - and it's formed in such a way that there's no spacer or what-have-you between it and the block. In theory, you could do a major disasssembly of the upper engine, build a spacer with a port on it to fit between the cooler and the block..... the oil pressure test cap is more expedient and user friendly.

PPS: one other idea: grab the oil filter housing from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the OM642 engine. It has a pressure port for a factory sendor on it and might fit in the same place on the Sprinter engine OM642

US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Last edited by jdcaples; 10-14-2009 at 02:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdcaples For This Useful Post:
Chandlerazman (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
gary 32
07 ncv3 pv

Read the whole scan gauge 2 questions thread, you have choices. I am using the bullydog watchdog, I enclosed images of my install.
gary 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Chandlerazman

Guys, consider me old fashioned, but I like the look of analog gauges! Aside from that, What's wrong with a little challenge once and a while. I will investigate Jon's suggestion about the oil filter adapter. Tinkering around with the Sprinter on the weekends is a nice way to get to know it better and relieve the stresses in the soul...(hopefully not create new stresses!)

Unrelated to this post, however, I asked the dealer what an oil change would cost. The answer I received was "about 400 bucks" With that said, I will definately take changing oil and filters into my own hands.
Chandlerazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

I prefer mechanical gauges, rather than interpretations of electronic sensor readings.

Tere is an oil pressure test cap tool, with its own part number, and a recommended gauge to screw into the test cap. This tells me that at least one person - probably a team of people - on the Daimler payroll agrees me and Simon (ChandlerAZman).

-Jon

PS: here's the response I received from am MB Dealership Shop Foreman on the subject of an oil pressure test port.
Jon,

I'm not aware of any test port on the OM642. If I need to check oil pressure I install a test cap ( 642 589 00 91 00 ) in place of the oil filter cap. It's got a fitting on it for connecting a pressure gauge. Maybe you could install this test cap permanently?

I bought one of those tools (642 589 00 91 00) from Chris (SprinterUK). At the time, they were in in short supply in Europe and there were none in the States that I could find (and I'm pretty good at finding things).

Last edited by jdcaples; 10-14-2009 at 04:38 PM.