Speed Governor

Slider13

Has anyone disabled the speed governor? The engine will not go beyond 3K rpms at 85 mph. I think this is dangerous when tryng to stay away from semis going down a mountain being tailgated. I would appreciate any info on getting this done.

Slider13

kendall69

Let me get this straight, you WANT to go faster than 85MPH GOING DOWN HILL......ON A MOUNTAIN!!!!!

You should be glad you have a governor. Here's a tip, all mountain roads I have ever been on have "turn offs". If a truck is riding your tail,simply pull off safely, then go about your day. there is never a need to be intimidated by anyone BEHIND you.

dbeyer

Not unless they have cracked the code lately. I know they have spent alot of money and thought they had it cracked about 2 years ago. See my last e-mail below.

David

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 2004 Sprinter
Date: Wed, May 16, 2007 7:21 am
To: info@inmotionusa.com

Any news on the 2004 Sprinter speed limiter?

David

Hello,

Still not cracked.

Sorry

www.inmotiontuning.com

RoveRPh

Let me get this straight, you WANT to go faster than 85MPH GOING DOWN HILL......ON A MOUNTAIN!!!!!

You should be glad you have a governor. Here's a tip, all mountain roads I have ever been on have "turn offs". If a truck is riding your tail,simply pull off safely, then go about your day. there is never a need to be intimidated by anyone BEHIND you.

Maybe you should try driving on I-81 around Scranton PA. If you don't think it's intimidating to have a semi 2 feet from your rear bumber while you try to get the heck out of the way, you're a better man than me.

Fact is, 82mph is the speed of traffic in many areas. Not having a little extra speed in reserve while moving with traffic can be dangerous. I would love to get rid of the speed limiter.

kendall69

...If you don't think it's intimidating to have a semi 2 feet from your rear bumber
Yes been there done that, and have the T shirt. That's why I pull off and let the Psycho drive by. If you think for one second I WANT to compete with a rig that size, your mistaken.
That's what big rigs do ( all over the United states ) try the mountain roads of Washington state where the loggers get paid by the load, the faster they go up and down the more money they make.
The sprinter is not designed for higher speeds and a slalom course, hence the height, and overall vehicle size.
Might I suggest a Ferrari or Porsche, or even a Lamborghini, for a road race down a mountain at speeds higher that 80mph, when you want to outrun a Big Rig.:crazy:

dbeyer

The sprinter is not designed for higher speeds

Might I suggest a Ferrari or Porsche, or even a Lamborghini, for a road race down a mountain at speeds higher that 80mph, when you want to outrun a Big Rig.:crazy:
Kendall69

Why are Sprinters in other countries able to far exceed the limit set for US models? Are you really qualified to make your statement about Sprinter designed speeds? Additionally I find your suggestion to buy a Ferrari or Porsche off topic and anything but helpful.

Slider was asking how to disable the speed governor, do you have any information that might be helpful?

David

Toyman

I wish SOMEONE, much smarter than I could come up with the crack for this. Mine kicks off at 85 on the speedo, but I have 3 MPH built in error which only gives me 82.

RoveRPh

If you think for one second I WANT to compete with a rig that size, your mistaken.

I'm talking about travel on the interstates. For sure, if someone comes flying up behind me on a two lane I'll pull over and let them by. But when you're going 5mph faster than a line of cars in the fast lane and a big rig comes flying up on my bumper, I want to be able to put the hammer down so that I can get back in the right hand lane and out of the truckers way. Not because I feel it is safer, but because it's common courtesy. I hate getting stuck behind a slow poke in the fast lane myself.

As for the Sprinter not being able to handle well at speed, check out YouTube for the video of the woman hustling one around the Nurburgring. Am I qualified to drive a vehicle that fast? As a matter of fact, I am.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I'm talking about travel on the interstates. For sure, if someone comes flying up behind me on a two lane I'll pull over and let them by. But when you're going 5mph faster than a line of cars in the fast lane and a big rig comes flying up on my bumper, I want to be able to put the hammer down so that I can get back in the right hand lane and out of the truckers way. Not because I feel it is safer, but because it's common courtesy.
Common Courtesy is on par with Common Sense. Neither are the majority in my observations.

I was going to say that car drivers should cut big rigs some slack because of all the gears they have to manually shift to get up to highway speeds....
Then I looked: The Freightliner Cascadia has optional automatic, 6 speed transmissions. So that argument just melted for me - not for everyone, for me. Besides, come to think of it, it's a job for which the trucker signed up, a dozen manual gears or otherwise.

The one that doesn't melt for me is Newtonian. Don't mess with mass at any velocity. Cut a big rig off and neither I or Darwin will have sympathy.

I can't think of a good reason for failing to keep your vehicle in proper working condition so that you're always able to drive it prudently, big rig on a grade, or otherwise.

-Jon

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile

Thinking my brakes and a shoulder are better than trying to out-run (or out wit) someone who desires greater speeds. I like to go fast, but prefer a vehicle built more for speed (lower to the ground, for one):thumbup: . Nope, if you like to go that fast, pass me. If it's a two lane, two-way, I'll just pull off and let you go on. If you're a big truck, I'll respect your mass and velocity :bow: and decide to go a little slower in the slow lane.

NOW, on the other hand, when my wife started into contractions for our last child and we were 2 hours from the hospital, I wanted NO speed limiter, but we made it alive - baby still inside, so aside from the adrenal rush that desired more speed, we did not REALLY need to go any faster. :smilewink: (by the way, the fuel mileage was terrible on that tank!)

Taking time to smell the roses,
Tim

EdOsmar

I don't have a Sprinter yet but may order a 2008. My question is why is there a Speed Governor in the first place? Is it a safety issue or is there some other reason? Onyone know the reasons why MB installed it on the Srinters?

largeprime

I think the governor is of use when the sprinter is a fleet vehicle. Insurance and stuff.

When I have a rig behind me I drive safely. If the rig must slow down to 85 because I am in front of it, then they either slow down or hit me.

Trust me, NO trucker wants a collision on their record.

IMHO it is unsafe to pull onto a soft shoulder at 80 MPH.

RE: Big Rig shifting.
It is actually easier to slow down with a stick than an auto. One can down shift effectively with a stick. The automatics are for city driving. I strongly doubt you will find a Over The Road rig with an auto.

While many rigs have 18 gears, it is not like they have 18 gears. These gears allow you to optimize your fuel consumption by keeping your engine on its sweet spot, and your speed where you want it. Often several gears are skipped when driving.

A rig driver may feel that having spent X gallons of diesel (and a bunch of time) to get to the top of a mountain, they want to get all the (safe) energy out of the downhill side to save ($ and time) on the next uphill. If you can help them do this safely my thinking ahead, thats great.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
1. never let the driver(s) behind you drive your car.

2. speed = fuel

3. the faster you go the longer it takes to stop

4. frequently drivers will sail past me yet 100 miles down the road I see we have arrived at the same place at the same time. Or I see them at the side of the road with an interesting black and white car behind them. Sadly, more than once, I've seen the same car upside down or piled into another car.

Of course we know that we are all wonderfully safe drivers but someone has those accidents.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
1. never let the driver(s) behind you drive your car.

2. speed = fuel

3. the faster you go the longer it takes to stop

4. frequently drivers will sail past me yet 100 miles down the road I see we have arrived at the same place at the same time. Or I see them at the side of the road with an interesting black and white car behind them. Sadly, more than once, I've seen the same car upside down or piled into another car.

Of course we know that we are all wonderfully safe drivers but someone has those accidents.

Wisdom.

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile

IMHO it is unsafe to pull onto a soft shoulder at 80 MPH.
LOL - no, I'd not pull to a shoulder (soft or otherwise) at 80 because I don't drive that fast; I make a safe move to the shoulder at a reasonable speed. Typically, when I start to move for the shoulder, I get passed - I'm safe, they're happy.

Tim

Well I thought maybe it was the tires that dictated the governed speed but my Michelins Lt 225 75R16 are rated at 106 MPH properly inflated and not overloaded.(Big Brother Governer may be the answer)
Tractor shifting. 30 odd years ago I delivered concrete pipe with a Mack B62 tractor and had to use every one of the 15 gears to move the load up to it's top speed of 55. I don't think you can skip gears wether its a manual, semi auto or full auto tranny due to the narow power band of a diesel.

Bob

BMA

I strongly doubt you will find a Over The Road rig with an auto.
Allison Transmission makes automatics for big rigs. In their standard lineup you can find transmissions that can handle 1770 ft lbs of torque. Because they get better gas mileage with any driver you see fleets buying them. Only the best manual transmission drivers can get equal to or better gas mileage. A neighbor who does OTR hauling now won't consider a rig without an Allison transmission. His current rig has over 800,000 miles on the tranny and about 1,100,000 miles on the engine with no major service to either. The first tranny, a manual, died from bearing failure. He replaced it with an Allison. His previous rig had an Allison that he put over 1 million miles on without failure. He is now considering an engine head replacement to switch to fully electronic valves and a new fuel injection system for the better gas mileage. It's about $5500 in parts and labor, but it should save him that much in fuel in the first year.

- Bryan

Top Bottom