fan pulley nightmare

Binnie

Finally managed to crack/loosen the fan drive bolt assembly.
It took many attempts, initial problem was how to stop the drive bar turning so as to be able to undo the fan
and remove the fan and radiator shroud assembly to be able to replace the drive belts.

A special fan holding tool was purchased which fitted over the bolts securing the belt driven pulley to enable
holding of the pulley so it didnt turn whilst undoing the shaft nut with a 36mm open ended spanner that came with
the fan holding tool.
The fan - pulley holding tool didnt fit this vehicle for several reasons. First attempt to get it to fit was an
adaption copied from a forum. Cut the 3 holed piece off and weld it to the other side the arm it came off.
This didnt work as it not got past the pulley but other engine components (fuel pump for one) stopped it going
on properly. Next attempt was to weld the part onto the other end(flat end) of the tool. This worked after a lot
of angle grinding to remove any protrusions.
Attempting to undo nut failed. Most articles I had read inferred and left hand thread so locked locking arm via an
extension pipe onto left hane chassis rail and attempter to undo with 36mm spanner. The weld broke as was still in
trial stage and didnt make a permanent weld in case needed to be changed.

Setup will work now so rewelded and again tried. This time the spanner failed. It buckled up the arm and spread the
36mm jaw so it now turned on the hex.
I had previously purchased a solid 36mm ring open ender from trade tools which I thought had been made redundent.
With a bit more trimming of holding tool, managed to get both items in place and it worked beautifully.
The open ender held the lock tool tightly in place so it couldnt come off from its holding position which had
happened a couple of times leading up to this point.
So with long bits of pipe extending the length of both spanner and holder, my mechanic son on the spanner and me
on the locking arm we cracked it. Woohoo :clapping:, what an event, imagine this on the side of the road after dropping a drive belt.

We are off to Darwin soon with spare belts and newly created SST's.

NB facing the vehicle the nut turns to my right which is towards the left hand side of the vehicle.

Attachments

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
I recently had my belt, belt tensioner and water pump replaced at a Mercedes dealer all with genuine parts and labour.

It took them 3 hours and cost me $1200 with parts included.
They even rang to say here was a rubbed hose and asked if they should replace it, yes please. :thumbup:

No stress on my part and Its all done properly.

316cdi

Not sure what Sprinter you have but on my 316 (2004) there is a belt tensioner that you turn then you have enough slack in the belt to remove it.
The belt tensioner is spring loaded.

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Binnie.
I have changed the belts on many sprinters and have never had to remove any pulleys, the job normally only takes a few minutes. Eric

Top Bottom