Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #21
Ciprian
Spark Plugs not allowed!

Default Re: 2003 glow plug module dissected

Thanks for posting this. Can you tell us what fuse holder you used and also what fuses?
2004 Freightliner Sprinter, OM647, 780k miles.

Ciprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,561 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm.ross.lee View Post
I usually get 5 to 8 a winter to go bad.

5 to 8 a winter out of fleet of 30 - What is going on? I don't think I have read failure rates anywhere that high on the Sprinter forums before.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,477 Times in 9,197 Posts

This seemed like an appropriate place for this information to be.

Thanks goes to Sprintguy/Carl.

OPERATION of Glow Plug Relay

When the ignition key is turned to the ON position, the glow plug output stage and pre-glow indicator lamp are actuated by the ECM. The duration of the signal depends on the coolant temperature. The glow plug relay has processing that communicates with the ECM. If no data exchange occurs at the triggering stage, the preheating is switched off after 2 seconds.

Start glowing is initiated when the key is in the start position. The glow plugs (R13R17) continue to be supplied with voltage. This makes it possible to stabilize the cold starting speed. (After glowing is initiated when the starter reject speed is reached).

After the engine starts, the ECM determines the afterglow period in line with coolant temperature. If no signal is received from the coolant temperature sensor, afterglow is maintained for thirty seconds.

The following aims are reached by the afterglow :

Improvement in warming-up properties
Prevention of white exhaust smoke after cold start
Stabilizing of the cold starting speed
The glow plug output stage constantly signals the current operating state and faults. The following are faults detected and transmitted to the ECM :

Open circuit at one or several glow plugs
Short circuit in the glow plug circuit
Relay fault
If the Glow plug relay detects an open circuit at a glow plug, it is stored and indicated only once the engine is running by the preglow indicator lamp coming on for about one minute and a fault is stored in the ECM. If a short circuit, a glow plug output stage faulty or a temperature related switching off of output stages is detected, the fault is stored and indicated immediately by the preglow indicator lamp coming on. Once the fault is no longer current, the indicator is immediately switched off, but the fault is stored in the ECM. If the fault is constantly current, the preglow indicator lamp remains on until the ignition is switched off.

Don : if you have glow plug faults as you said, this can and will effect "cold start and warm up " I hope this info helps

Carl

The link to the post. Original thread available in upper right corner.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...54&postcount=9
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Gdaddy (11-12-2018), gholley (12-15-2016), Keyland (01-27-2010), my splinter (04-12-2010), romi7519 (03-27-2011), SD26 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
baldeagle

Hi Mr Puttana, very useful info as I have my own version of the problem.
My year 2000 208CDI starts ok and the light goes off every time. When the engine is restarted warm the light stays on about 50% of the time (the EDC light is always on anyway but doesn't affect running) which pisses me off as the glowplugs have just been done. I'm assuming it's a faulty relay but at 60 + vat for a Mercedes bloke to plug a meter in it's not in my budget at the moment.
I did speak to a Merc mechanic today who strangely said that it is quite common for the glow plug relay to pack up when the glow plugs have been changed, I didn't push him further for info as he was being quite helpful in other areas (see my oil post).
Other option I suppose is a second hand one from Ebay.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Baldeagle,
Sprintguy/Carl has posted many comments worth re-posting to get the info out.

Were I in your situation with the glowplug system, I would remove and dissect the module using SurlyOldBill's suggestions. It might be worth considering just a couple nips on the plastic corners to allow you to pop out the circuit board without damage. Once the components are out I'd inspect to see if it is just a blown fusible link. If that is the problem, the add-on fuse block seems like a good solution to me.

If you're careful with dis-assembly and don't damage the module, it can always be re-installed as is and you're no worse off than you were. Hope this does some good.

A side question. I searched EDC and learned it is the Mercedes Engine Diagnostic Computer light. I suspect it is the same little engine icon that we call the MIL Malfunction Indicator Light or CEL Check Engine Light. Am I correct about that? AP/vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 10-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #26
baldeagle

Ahh yes different descriptions around the world. My EDC light is in the same position as the '13 Malfunction indicator' in the manual I downloaded which is DaimlerChrysler so sounds about right.
This week I'll wiggle a few wires then maybe have a look at the unit itself.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
baldeagle

I've taken apart loads of connections tonight and WD40'd them as well as giving them a wiggle. I don't reckon it's the relay causing it as the light only stays on when started from hot (apart from the very rare occasion) so I'm still thinking some type of dodgy sensor, thinking the relay is controlled by the management jobby. Just a thought, would I really have to dissassemble the relay as I would have thought by unplugging the coil leads you could test the voltage present, which wouldn't be there if internal fuse had blown??????????????

A seller on Ebay reckons he has a gizmo for about 100 that comes with the 14 pin lead to test and reset the management thingy, so if it's true, thats only 35 more than taking it to Mercedes to check it, and I have it then for the next bout of 'Starship Enterprise dash'.

Last edited by baldeagle; 10-06-2009 at 06:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to baldeagle For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (10-08-2009)
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #28
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle View Post
I've taken apart loads of connections tonight and WD40'd them as well as giving them a wiggle. I don't reckon it's the relay causing it as the light only stays on when started from hot (apart from the very rare occasion) so I'm still thinking some type of dodgy sensor, thinking the relay is controlled by the management jobby. Just a thought, would I really have to dissassemble the relay as I would have thought by unplugging the coil leads you could test the voltage present, which wouldn't be there if internal fuse had blown??????????????

A seller on Ebay reckons he has a gizmo for about 100 that comes with the 14 pin lead to test and reset the management thingy, so if it's true, thats only 35 more than taking it to Mercedes to check it, and I have it then for the next bout of 'Starship Enterprise dash'.
I don't have enough info to answer properly. If you do a search I believe there are procedures to test the glow plugs and module outputs with a standard multimeter (electrical test meter) and a fused test jumper.

I have absolutely no information about a module test unit except that the tests outlined are not expensive even if you spend the price of a basic multimeter.

Sorry I can't provide more. AP/vic
Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #29
baldeagle

I'm taking mine off in the next few days to fit a replacement from the van breakers up the road. Obviously I don't want to cut up the new one although it's untested. Looking at the diagram then I can't test from the input to the 4 outputs as the 'switch' will be open, what I can do is test between all 4 outputs in order with a multimeter as they all go back to a common point, after testing all to all this will id any blown fuses - does that sound correct?
At the same time I will test all 4 leads to earth to check glowplugs are ok (they were changed just before I bought it), does anyone know what resistance glowplugs should be?

Cheers

Paul
Old 12-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #30
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm.ross.lee View Post
I love this forum. This genius deserves
This great idea works! I snipped out all 5 fuses in the relay leaving only the unused one. Then I soldered a wire just after the solenoid for power for my fuse block that was glued on top. Then I soldered wires on the bottom to where the internal fuses were. I drilled holes in the lower right corner of the housing near the other connectors keeping everything in order to mirror the connector to the left of the wires. On the fuse block I numbered the fuse locations and placed the wires in the corresponding fuse location. I have used it on the vehicle, it's worked for the last month flawlessly, and now I am going to modify my entire fleet of 30 as they go bad. I usually get 5 to 8 a winter to go bad. BEST PART IS..... I will be able save time by knowing which glow plug to replace in the future in seconds!!!!!!!!
Excellent application. I'll be copying that and making my own. I was considering putting the fuse block in a more accessable location, a little further out from under the battery. I'm glad I checked back on this thread!

The first fuse to blow pays for the entire contraption, since a new relay is $80, and a single fuse is under $1.
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote