Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #231
yarrie513
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

Well I got my bracket kit today! excited. I am going to put this awning on tomorrow.

For those of you that have put this on, did you adhere to the guidelines in the instructions of the bracket kit? +(-) 15mm (~.5"). from the end of the awning to the start of the front and rear awning?

where did you position the front bracket? then where did you position the front of the awning relative to that front bracket?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8950.jpg (55.6 KB, 150 views)
yarrie513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #232
yarrie513
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikes! View Post
LordFamilybikevan- That's a bummer to hear! Here are some pictures I had saved already, but let me know if you need me to go grab another picture. I believe mine is the 10.7' length, not the 12.3'. I don't think it would work to attach to your existing brackets using the "roof mount" awning.
Thanks, for the pics. I am about to put my brackets & awning on today!

Excited!

Mark
yarrie513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #233
RVCuisineScene
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado, Maine & Alaska
Posts: 210
Thanks: 71
Thanked 75 Times in 61 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

I used 4 brackets for my awning, installed last year, 20K miles so far so good.
RVCuisineScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #234
Lordfamilybikevan
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Kittery Point, Maine
Posts: 55
Thanks: 40
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

Bikes, thanks for the additional pictures. I also don't think those brackets will work with our roof rack. Guess we'll just stick with what we had. Cheers. Also, what was the size of the tent you got? How much bigger would you go?

Last edited by Lordfamilybikevan; 08-03-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Lordfamilybikevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #235
gordstray
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 70
Thanks: 31
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrie513 View Post
Well I got my bracket kit today! excited. I am going to put this awning on tomorrow.

For those of you that have put this on, did you adhere to the guidelines in the instructions of the bracket kit? +(-) 15mm (~.5"). from the end of the awning to the start of the front and rear awning?

where did you position the front bracket? then where did you position the front of the awning relative to that front bracket?

Thanks!
I received my Sprinter specific brackets today...I think I know the answer to this, but did you (or others) glue the brackets as directed first? It looks like they want you to attach/glue the four brackets to the OEM roof rail and THEN slide the awning on from the back or front? Or did you put the brackets on the awning and then attach and glue? Directions seem a bit unclear. It also references an activator to use with Sika 252 but I don't see anything about that on Sika's website.
gordstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #236
Bikes!
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 57
Thanks: 12
Thanked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordstray View Post
I received my Sprinter specific brackets today...I think I know the answer to this, but did you (or others) glue the brackets as directed first? It looks like they want you to attach/glue the four brackets to the OEM roof rail and THEN slide the awning on from the back or front? Or did you put the brackets on the awning and then attach and glue? Directions seem a bit unclear. It also references an activator to use with Sika 252 but I don't see anything about that on Sika's website.
Definitely glue and attach the brackets first, then attach the awning. It would be really difficult to go in the other order. I just used Loctite marine adhesive from home depot.
Bikes! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikes! For This Useful Post:
gordstray (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #237
gordstray
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 70
Thanks: 31
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikes! View Post
Definitely glue and attach the brackets first, then attach the awning. It would be really difficult to go in the other order. I just used Loctite marine adhesive from home depot.
So it's fairly easy with assistance to slide it down through all four brackets and then secure with back bolts?
gordstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #238
Tiny Travels
2017 170"ext, 4x4, 2500
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 53
Thanks: 29
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

I put the mounting brackets on the roof and just attached them with the fasteners. Then I lifted the awning into place (with help) to make sure they lined up. After I knew the brackets were in the right location, I marked their locations with pencil and removed the brackets. Then I used a scotchbrite pad to remove the gloss finish in the marked areas. Applied the sikaflex per their instructions, and then reinstalled the mounting brackets.
The awning doesn't slide in from one end (unless yours is different than mine) it just 'rocks' into place on the mounts. You hook the top and then let it settle down into the right position. Then the bolts and bar go on the back to keep it from being able to rock out.
Tiny Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Travels For This Useful Post:
gordstray (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #239
gordstray
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 70
Thanks: 31
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Thule- new awning option

OK. That makes more sense. From a quick look, it looked like it would have to slide with an end cap removed.
gordstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #240
gordstray
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 70
Thanks: 31
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Thule- new awning option

It looks like if I am going to glue the Sprinter specific Thule brackets down to the OEM track, I need to pre-think what else I am going to put in the OEM track for hold downs or at least source some more of these to put in between the brackets for cross bars, solar etc. What did others do? Anyone find a source for extras?



Last edited by gordstray; 08-10-2019 at 12:51 PM.
gordstray is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.