Do I need an immobilister for my 313 Sprinter

PeterInSa

Some one on the European MB Sprinter Forum has had 2 Sprinter stolen recently, another member claims to be able to drive a sprinter away in seconds. If you know how this is done could you email me, because if its so easy maybe i need to have an immobiliser in our Sprinter.

I thought there was a digital switch in my remote that needs to be near the ignition lock to enable the vehicle to start.

Apparently a caravan/vehicle was stolen a couple of weeks ago near the Spritit of Tasmania waiting area have also heard recently of caravans being stolen, all in the crime capital of OZ, Melbourne? They can beat us (SA) in Footy, Cricket, pinch our Grand Prix, want to pinch our bike race 'The Santos Tour down under'. But its a great place to visit, just make sure your vehicle is secure

Have an immobiliser and alarm in our Cruiser and a GPS/Locator/Phone in our Van.

The Sprinter, at the moment have 2 remotes

Comments appreciated.

Peter

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Sprinter can be hot-wired:eek: suggest you go to RACV and ask for an engine de-mobilizer suitable for your model for added security, many variations on the market.
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Some one on the European MB Sprinter Forum has had 2 Sprinter stolen recently, another member claims to be able to drive a sprinter away in seconds. If you know how this is done could you email me, because if its so easy maybe i need to have an immobiliser in our Sprinter.
There is a quick way to nick one involving some electrical trickery. Obviously I won't describe the method further, but you could get an immobiliser installed that integrates with the 264 signal on CANbus i.e. similar to the factory system, and one that will arm / disarm on your factory plip.

PeterInSa

Can I put a switch in the cab that breaks the circuit to.....(Fuel pump/starter solenoid) To start the vehicle need to turn the switch on etc.

Peter

PeterInSa

I also question the control of an immobiliser using the remote central locking on my sprinter. In comparison with an After market Remote door lock/unlock/immobiliser/alarm on my cruiser. if someone breaks a window and then pulls a door lock up the alarm/immobiliser are still operational, the alarm goes off and the immobiliser still keeps the engine dead.

It seems to me with the unlocking of the Sprinter doors via a remote, is similar to a thief breaking the door glass, pulling out the door unlock handle then not only will the doors unlock but the central locking will disarm the immobiliser.

In other words as a test, if you have a Sprinter with Central locking and an immobiliser tied to the central locking, wind your drivers side window down, lock your door with the central locking which also arms the immobiliser, reach in thru the window and unlock your drivers side door, you will also hear the passenger side door unlock (via the central locking) is your immobiliser still stopping your vehicle, in other words can you start your Sprinter.

Could you email me with the results,

Peter

NBB

With these RFID keys, you need that key present in the ignition to start the car - unless there is some way someone has found to bypass that ckt. It has nothing to do with locking or the state of some alarm system. I understand this is a requirement for all cars sold in Europe. As for bypassing that ckt, I do know that it is not trivial as installing aftermarket remote starters is somewhere between tricky and not possible - ie, a resistor value has to be found based on a measurement of the particular vehicle - or somesuch.

I have a Directed alarm I installed. I'm happy with it. It uses the factory remote. I posted my install experience here a few weeks ago.

I am considering beefing up the security over time by doing the following:

1) The DEI alarm came with a starter disconnect relay. I will eventually put that in.

2) I think a clever and motivated thief could pop the hood and cut the alarm siren. I may install a second noise maker with a more difficult to find wire.

3) I have seen kits on the internet for a GPS chip + pay-as-you-go cell phone. You text message the phone and it texts back your GPS coordinates. Code is open source, so I may write some code to continually buffer the coordinates at some interval and transmit the "last known", if it doesn't already do that. Kit would run me around $100 or so and provide me with some entertainment. If your skills and free time don't allow, there are several other similar options out there at many different price points. This would be worse case recovery and opportunity to catch someone red handed.

Top Bottom