Thule- new awning option

Montucky

Hate to admit it but I am now thoroughly confused about which mounting brackets are best for the 10' Thule Hideaway, mounted on OEM roof rails. I bought my awning last summer and used 2 of the stock Thule brackets (just an L bracket) available at the time. Now I want to upgrade my brackets to a threesome to resist some of that torque and hopefully bring the awning out a little from the rail to provide better clearance for the crank.

Has anybody used this? It seems to be a redesign from the predrilled and powder coated L-brackets I used last summer. http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/van-accessories/awning-accessories/thule-adapters-for-roof-mount-_-301668
Those brackets fit the roof mount awning - not the rack mount that you have. Thule offers 2 different styles, and the roof mount is new, and the roof mount brackets for the OEM rails are even newer - only out in the last few months.

Sstromerson

Has anybody used this? It seems to be a redesign from the predrilled and powder coated L-brackets I used last summer. http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/van-accessories/awning-accessories/thule-adapters-for-roof-mount-_-301668
So that roof mount awning adapter (#301668) is for the roof mount awning (#620001). The awning you have is most likely the rack mount (#490010) with the crossbar adapter (#490001). Unfortunately you'd have to get a different awning to use that roof mount adapter.
To get a little space from the edge of the van while not hurting your height clearance too much you can mount that L bracket upside down on crossbars, you'll need about 1/4" of spacer for it to sit right.

canonshooter

Bikes!
When you installed the 301668 kit, did you use the Sika 252 as directions call for? Was wondering how difficult they would be to remove with the adhesive.

Last edited:

yarrie513

I just installed the newly released stock roof rail mounts. Super easy! The Thule awning is solid. :thumbup:
Hi, Bikes. I noticed you are in Denver. I am up in Longmont. Where did you buy your bracket kit? I am getting my roof mount awning on Thursday, but I can't find that kit anywhere. Thule USA says Aug 11th. Thule Canada says they are in stock.

Does anyone know of a source in stock in the USA for Thule # 301668?

Thanks!
Mark

Bikes!

Sorry for the slow reply! I hadn't subscribed to the thread and didn't see the questions.

Canonshooter- I didn't use the sika, I used Loctite adhesive marine sealant from Home Depot since I couldn't find the sika product easily. Picture attached.

Yarrie513- I bought the bracket kit directly from Thule. Keep watching the website as it does change almost daily on when they will be in stock. When I happened to check back it said in stock even though the day prior it was a few weeks out on being in stock. Hopefully you get lucky. I called around and no one carried that bracket which is why I ordered through Thule.

DirtDogg- See picture below. I can measure or grab a picture for you if the one below doesn't work.

I used this awning on a 3,000 mile roadtrip recently and it performed great. There was only one really HEAVY downpour and the awning handled it well despite not being tied down. I finally got a hold of the additional bracket I needed to attach the Thule Quickfit Tent. I hope to try that out this weekend and take some pictures. I also have the Thule LED light kit to put on there why I'm at it. Stay tuned...

Attachments

yarrie513

Sorry for the slow reply! I hadn't subscribed to the thread and didn't see the questions.

Yarrie513- I bought the bracket kit directly from Thule. Keep watching the website as it does change almost daily on when they will be in stock. When I happened to check back it said in stock even though the day prior it was a few weeks out on being in stock. Hopefully you get lucky. I called around and no one carried that bracket which is why I ordered through Thule.
Thanks! I keep hitting the refresh button :hmmm:

yarrie513

I just checked and Thule's website says in stock (301668 for roof mount sprinter with OE track)!
argh! I don't see them in stock:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/van-...sories/thule-adapters-for-roof-mount-_-301668

I do see them on the Canadian site:

https://www.thule.com/en-ca/ca/van-...sories/thule-adapters-for-roof-mount-_-301668

Maybe I can see if I can have a kit shipped across the border?

Bikes, do you see them in stock on the USA site?

Thanks for all the help.
Mark

Bikes!

I'm sorry, not sure why my computer brought me to Thule Canada!
I do recommend calling them- 1-800-238-2388 to see if they could grab from the other inventory.

canonshooter

I ended up not using adhesive to attach the 301668 brackets to the factory rails, it seemed like overkill. I did however upgrade the mounting bolts to 5/16 and used locknuts. Was able to order the 12' awning and 301668 from Rack Attack. Free shipping, picked up at retail location in Framingham Ma 4 days after ordering over the phone. Very happy with the whole setup.

Bikes!

I finally got around to test fitting the Thule Quickfit tent under my Thule awning. It required an additional bracket- part 301664. Pretty easy to set up after figuring it out the first time. I could have gone a size larger, but this will work fine. There were some additional pieces not seen in the pictures that I didn't attach that I think blocks off under the van. Note that I didn't install any stakes or anything which is why it looks a little crooked. I can’t wait to try this out camping and especially this fall for cyclocross.

Attachments

MotoXPress

Also, how much space does it take up and have you found a good place to store it when not in use? How long to set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yarrie513

Canonshooter- I didn't use the sika, I used Loctite adhesive marine sealant from Home Depot since I couldn't find the sika product easily. Picture attached.

DirtDogg- See picture below. I can measure or grab a picture for you if the one below doesn't work.

I used this awning on a 3,000 mile roadtrip recently and it performed great. There was only one really HEAVY downpour and the awning handled it well despite not being tied down. I finally got a hold of the additional bracket I needed to attach the Thule Quickfit Tent. I hope to try that out this weekend and take some pictures. I also have the Thule LED light kit to put on there why I'm at it. Stay tuned...
Bikes, Any guidance on placement of the brackets & awning to align the front leg of the awning to the area on the body of the van between the slider and the front passenger door? I was planning on putting the body attachment on that small area of metal. Were you going to put on the body attachments? if so, will it be obvious as to where to position the front part of the awning?

Nice awning, cant wait to install mine.

Still on the hunt for the adaptor brackets.

Thanks!

Anyone have an extra Thule 301668 kit?

Bikes!

yarrie513- Below is a picture from the instruction manual for the bracket layout. The awning can slide though so you can fine tune exactly where you want it placed on the van (shifting it slightly forward or back). I didn't want the awning sticking out past where the roof starts to curve downward. Does that answer your question (hopefully I understood that correctly)?

Attachments

gordstray

So that roof mount awning adapter (#301668) is for the roof mount awning (#620001). The awning you have is most likely the rack mount (#490010) with the crossbar adapter (#490001). Unfortunately you'd have to get a different awning to use that roof mount adapter.
To get a little space from the edge of the van while not hurting your height clearance too much you can mount that L bracket upside down on crossbars, you'll need about 1/4" of spacer for it to sit right.
Am I correct in that #620001 (low profile awning) prevents any sort of roof rack for the length of the awning?

yarrie513

Hi Gordstray, I have not installed the awning yet, still waiting on parts. I have the 620002 awning, 12', I wanted this one since its so long, I have a 170. I do have a few cross bars, I have the RB cross bars with the awning cutout, and I have some low profile solar bars on my roof. I am hoping to be able to place the brackets for the awning in the appropriate places, while keeping my bars in place. I think I will be able to do it. Now with regards to the gap between the bottom of the awning and the top of the roof bars, I hope I have enough clearance. I should, it will be close.

Anyone else have a 62001/2 installed with other items on your roof?

Mark

Top Bottom