Line-x 'ing the Roof Top

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
It's like you've been in my dreams. I'm sure the temporary building you've used including the scaffold is exactly what I've been thinking I need to build to paint the top of Mona. I will be forced to do most of the work behind the tarp though, the wind seems to blow about 10-15 mph all the time here. I have some seam work to do and some light rust in the rain gutters.

Nice work, I think the color matched quite well.:bow:

Dan

detroitdevo

You would think by living in the "Motor City" that you can get almost anything done. I have literally called 13 shops in a 60 mile radius and cannot get anyone who wants to spray my van roof unless they use black because they have 55gallons of it. But I have a blue van so I don't really want to do that but do I really see the roof anyway? . Due to recent issues with our audio up-fitter we have decided to protect our investment by adding Rhino Liner or Line-X but sheesh if I can't get anyone to take my money.. Anyone have any other shops you have dealt with? I would drive to Chicago, Indy, Cleveland if I have to.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The thing about using Rhino, Line-X or any of the other spray on types, you need to leave it there overnight.

I recently put this on my truck bed...

http://www.monstaliner.com/

Here is a good read up on diy ones...

http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_comparisons.htm

I first used Durabak. It contains chopped up rubber bits and the surface broke down (chalked up) within 5 years. :thumbdown: I would have black streaks running down the sides of my white bed (rolled it on the rails).

When I applied the Monstaliner, it is very different from the Durabak that I used before. In fact, I would say it worked much better, and nicely, as it thickened up. You can really add thickness to the application as the liner starts to cure (2-3 hours).

I can't say 100% that it's the best, or whether the UV claims are correct, because I just applied it 2 weeks ago. I can say the process and materials are much better than any Durabak or Herculiner as I used those before.

SOLBRTs

Does the Line-X add much weight? Looking for a solution to mitigate some of the heat in our 144 low for the dogs an I really don't want to cut through the roof to add a fan. Thought of a white vinyl wrap first ($1000+). I figured we would come in 6-12 inches from the edge so the van would look black from any angle but above ( police car style points) and then white Line-X crossed my mind just a day before these last posts.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
At least the dealer that I went to "will not" do white because of the yellowing that can occur.

It will add weight to the top. How much, I don't know. Imagine painting a gallon of paint to your roof and multiply that the thickness of the Line-X and you have a lot of paint cans.

The reason I did the Line-X is because of my roof panels were separating and water leaking into the van. If you're doing it for heat, I would just paint it white (or vinyl it as you had suggested). Of course, auto paints are not cheap so you're stuck with the DIY liner materials.

Another thing you could do is to remove the interior panels and insulate the interior walls.

Anyway you look at it, you need to cool the interior with cool moving air. Insulation and reflective paints won't do an effective job when you have heat dispensing animals inside.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
ease of cleaning (100%waterproff)."neat stuff".

I had it done!, covering the floor , wheelwell humps, and the walls up to the L-Track, 2 feet 2''.
Cost me $1000. with added colour and sealer, after negotiating from $1200. Price goes by area.

Befor Line-Xing, i preped the cargo area by.

1. I removed corrugated wall coverings, up to the bottom of L-tracks, in it's place i installed 1/4" tempered masonnite, using WHS, (wide head screws) to fasten it, not befor...

2. installing cotton sound / insulation panels, held in place with a spray adhesive, not befor giveing thought, of any other reason to be in this area befor covering.:thinking:

3. Installed the three bench seat floor Brackets.

The product is sprayed on, out of a 55gal. drum, @ "400 degrees", cools fast to a workable temp., allowing tooling and clean up. Took 8 man/hrs.+- , of work. 24Hrs. to harden.

If they used 2ga. to 3ga., added weight 16lb to 24lb is my guess!

The little research i did showed that Line-X , and Rhino Liner, probably same chemistry, just a diffrent franchise, both are good!, others not so good, IMO.

Wife loves it "thinks it's just what the Sprinter needed" ; when she asked how much? Her look;......:shifty:,......

CJPJ

SOLBRTs

Agree with your thoughts. Insulating the van was one of our first upgrades. Maybe a silver would do rather than white. I do like the idea of actually sealing the flat roof and protecting it from low branches. At this point the dogs don't stay in the van any longer than we do, this is the safest, and we carry a fan and extension cord for overnights. Our plan was for the van to save hotel money while travelling from A to B and for the odd night at the beach but when we get where we are going we like to stay in a hotel. Sometimes, though, opening the van after it has been sitting in the sun is a bit like opening the oven. The heat comes rolling out and the dogs look around at me like I am an idiot. We will have to see how it goes. 1st big trip to see family scheduled for June, OR-FL-DC-VA-OR in 22 days. Just ordered a full crew van sun screen kit for $130 (front, driver, passenger, mid r-and-l, and rear doors) from Canvasworks. They seem to be nice folks, hoping the screens will help.

SOLBRTs

ease of cleaning (100%waterproff)."neat stuff".

I had it done!, covering the floor , wheelwell humps, and the walls up to the L-Track, 2 feet 2''.
Cost me $1000. with added colour and sealer, after negotiating from $1200. Price goes by area.

Befor Line-Xing, i preped the cargo area by.

1. I removed corrugated wall coverings, up to the bottom of L-tracks, in it's place i installed 1/4" tempered masonnite, using WHS, (wide head screws) to fasten it, not befor...

2. installing cotton sound / insulation panels, held in place with a spray adhesive, not befor giveing thought, of any other reason to be in this area befor covering.:thinking:

3. Installed the three bench seat floor Brackets.

The product is sprayed on, out of a 55gal. drum, @ "400 degrees", cools fast to a workable temp., allowing tooling and clean up. Took 8 man/hrs.+- , of work. 24Hrs. to harden.

If they used 2ga. to 3ga., added weight 16lb to 24lb is my guess!

The little research i did showed that Line-X , and Rhino Liner, probably same chemistry, just a diffrent franchise, both are good!, others not so good, IMO.

Wife loves it "thinks it's just what the Sprinter needed" ; when she asked how much? Her look;......:shifty:,......

CJPJ
16-24 lbs isn't really so much is it...hmmm

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Nice to see this old thread in continuance.

Well dust my Broom Boy's
wash and wax 016 (Custom).JPG

wash and wax 020 (Custom).JPG
OEM Dead original by Benz
wash and wax 024 copy.jpg
It's the weather down here,:hugs: No rust.
Cheers Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Does the Line-X add much weight?
<snip>
I answered that in the first posting of my thread:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027

Cost: USD $350.00 + local taxes
Material Weight: 10 lbs
Time lost: about 6 hours total including my travel times
PS: Regarding heat: I saw a racing boat, black that was not hot to the touch in the summer sun. It was coated with something called Lizard Skin (mentioned on this forum somewhere). http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html

Last edited:

SOLBRTs

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the ceramic coating, it seems I read about using something similar on shipping containers that were then turned into homes. Supposed to be pretty good stuff.

In any case had the van detailed today at Uptown Auto Detail in Portland. They did a great job! Only $175. Jon the owner said my roof looked good. The Sprinter wash at MLK and Clay seems to be doing the job keeping it pretty clean so it looks like I have time to do some more research before I make a decision.

Alex

After this winter there are many rust spots and rust on the “seams” on the roof.
I am thinking how to solve this issue, two ideas come to mind.
One is to simply have a body shop remove the rust and paint the roof or two, apply Line-X coating spray.

- if you have, how did you find the quality of coverage?
- did you find the rust re-appearing under the coating?
--the one dealer promised that this is a quality product and coverage, any comments?
My rig has white colour
- stated that they could match the current colour (white), has anyone noticed any dis-colouration after washing or with time?
- will the colour turn yellow over time or become dark (or grey) due to dirt?
- or would it be better to coat the roof with the natural colour of the Line-X material (grey) and then simply paint over it a white coat?

I would be very grateful for your advice
I have estimate from Line X dealer
Coat RV roof 104sq/f $988
Sandblast and prime $175
Color pakage $275
On top 13% tax
Total $1624

I would be very grateful for your advice

sikwan

06 Tin Can
- if you have, how did you find the quality of coverage?
Coverage is good and pretty much uniform throughout except maybe the sides. The tops are maybe 1/8" and the sides a bit thinner to prevent runs.

- did you find the rust re-appearing under the coating?
You can't see the rust on the top after the Line-X has been applied. The underside however could be a different story. On the underside, I sanded down every single rust spot I could find and sprayed with rustoleum. The last I checked it was fine. I think rust would appear due to condensation created from inside the van rather than from the outside.

--the one dealer promised that this is a quality product and coverage, any comments?
Line-X is a quality product. This will depend on the dealer.

- stated that they could match the current colour (white), has anyone noticed any dis-colouration after washing or with time?
Again it would depend on the dealer. My dealer ironically said that he would not clear coat white because it would come out yellow. Guess what, he clear coated my blue and it came out green. :bash:

- will the colour turn yellow over time or become dark (or grey) due to dirt?
This will depend on the dealer and how they apply it. If you think they are confident on the color match without the yellowing, then make sure you have it in writing. Also, it's good when you first see it that it matches the color (white) you want. If not, do not sign on the dotted line saying that you are satisfied with the work.

- or would it be better to coat the roof with the natural colour of the Line-X material (grey) and then simply paint over it a white coat?
I would do this actually. In my little experience, I would go with a Line-X dealer to apply Line-X and a Auto Paint outfit to shoot the paint.

But then you'll have the Auto Paint outfit say that they can't paint over the Line-X.

Top Bottom